PDA

View Full Version : Expired yogurt

fixationdarknes
04-06-2009, 01:45 PM
The yogurt I'm eating right now has an expiration date of March 21, which was 16 days ago. It doesn't taste or smell weird. I reckon I'll be fine, but how can I know whether it's okay to eat something that has technically expired?

And what's the most expired thing you have ever eaten? Just curious :p

I hate wasting food, and was too stubborn to throw it away!

VikingWarlord
04-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Very little around here actually makes it to the expiration date.

Mercuryblade
04-06-2009, 02:03 PM
The yogurt I'm eating right now has an expiration date of March 21, which was 16 days ago. It doesn't taste or smell weird. I reckon I'll be fine, but how can I know whether it's okay to eat something that has technically expired?

And what's the most expired thing you have ever eaten? Just curious :p

I hate wasting food, and was too stubborn to throw it away!

You really can't ever know for sure, too many factors are present to determine whether or not something has too much "bad" bacteria growing on it to make it dangerous to consume. And then you complicate things even more by taking into account that just because you do consume something that has some nasty E. Coli. growing on it, you still may not get sick.
I saw a special on TV where this guy swears by eating this meat that he "ages" to the point where there is black mold and other nasty stuff growing on it. All the Dr's interviewed on the show basically just said the guy has been very lucky so far and it's never a good idea to eat rotting meat.

I never eat expired food, but then again I have the digestive tract of a 90 year old and I really don't need to add another way for me to get an upset stomach.

Joeyjoejoejr
04-06-2009, 03:25 PM
im a weary of anything thats out of date, esp something thats "alive". You might be on the toilet for awhile!

samadhi_smiles
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
usually expired yogurt is just stronger with the good bacteria in it, so I eat it. Its REAL strong though almost tastes like sour cream. I get this BIG ASS tub of one gallon plain yogurt. By the time I finish it off its REAL strong.

Its OK.

Unless the milk is rotting in it...surprisingly though it keeps VERY well because of the good bacteria in it keeping away I guess other bacteria? Dunno really though.

fixationdarknes
04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Alright, thanks guys. I guess I'll just have to use The Force when wondering if an expired food is okay to eat.

Tom Mutaffis
04-07-2009, 06:40 AM
I try to stay away from expired foods, especially if you are talking about dairy products.

My Grandfather had some interesting items in his kitchen the last time that we visited. He had a turkey in the freezer that expired in 1997 (We didn't eat it).

Malice
04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I had a tub of cottage cheese the other week that 2 was weeks out of date and it actually tasted better than its in date counterpart!