PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try circa max for shirted bench?

MarcusWild
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm wondering if anyone has tried it or something similar. The basic idea is you do two weeks straight of insane band tension to get 10%+ over your max at the top. Then you do a deload week and go to a meet. I know it's done for squatting, but what about benching?

Travis Bell
04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, yes you do go 10+% over your max at the top, but for circa max you have to hit a PR each week for it to be working well. So say I worked up to 455+doubled purple bands and a mini band on week 1, I need to hit at least 460+ the same band set up the next week.

However I would not do that. Take a look at your knees and then compare them to your elbows. Your elbows would be screamin by the end of the second week.

I have done shirted bench with crapload of band tension before though and did like it. But i only did it for one week in a row.

MarcusWild
04-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I get what you mean about the two weeks in a row being tough on the elbows. Would you lose the effect of circa max if you made it 3-weeks long?

1. max with lots of bands in shirt
2. raw ME movement like floor press
3. max with lots of bands in shirt

Also, I thought you do doubles the first week, then hit a max single the second week? That way you will always hit more weight the second week.

SELK
04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I saw a while back on Paul Childress's log him doing this.

Travis Bell
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I get what you mean about the two weeks in a row being tough on the elbows. Would you lose the effect of circa max if you made it 3-weeks long?

1. max with lots of bands in shirt
2. raw ME movement like floor press
3. max with lots of bands in shirt

Also, I thought you do doubles the first week, then hit a max single the second week? That way you will always hit more weight the second week.

We've been doing singles on both weeks. Several sets of doubles and then hitting one set of singles at the end.

I still would not do that program. I take my last heavy single in a shirt 2-3 weeks out from a meet and then keep it raw the rest of the time.

Wouldn't recommend doubles that close to a meet either. Personally I feel that the more reps, the more your form is going to break down and it just beats you up.

You also have to remember in squatting, circa max is done with briefs, and suit bottoms (no straps) so you still aren't in full gear. Compare that to benching, you're in full gear whenever the shirt is on. Just my opinion

MarcusWild
04-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Good points Travis. I guess there are good reasons why no one does it.

Where does Paul Childress keep a log?

slashkills
04-07-2009, 06:26 PM
For circa max is it important to have suits and briefs or could it be done raw? Also what is the minimum squat someone should have before starting circa max? sorry if those are stupid questions. I have never really done any reading up on it.

Travis Bell
04-07-2009, 06:32 PM
There are several articles on Circa Max on the Westside website

www.westside-barbell.com

bencher8
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
There is a couple problems I see...

1. doing bands that close to a meet. I have tried that and it doesnt work so well for me. I dont know if the WSB guys still do bands that close, but i think its a personal thing. Some can do bands that close and some cant...

That being said...I think you could do this kind of work earlier in the training cycle and get some nice strength gains from it. Close to a meet....bands arent a good idea. Ive tried it.. Chains however a different thing...I think chains might work nicely. I have done chains close to a meet and didnt have as much of a problem..

Travis Bell
04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
For squatting circa max, yes we still use lots of band tension

For bench, we usually take a straight weight single 2-3 weeks out and then shut it down (as far as the shirt goes)

We only get in our shirts every 3 weeks or so. Nearly our entire crew hit PRs at the last meet.