PDA

View Full Version : Another opener's thread...

Hazerboy
04-08-2009, 10:13 PM
So I have another meet coming up on april 18th, federation is ADFPF. I'm competing unequipped. Currently, my best gym lifts are a 425 lb squat (1/23/09), a 285 bench (2/28/09) and a 530 deadlift (3/6/09).

I'm thinking of setting my opener's at something like...

1st attempt: 400 squat (5 LB meet pr)
2nd attempt: 430?
3rd attempt: 440-445?

I'm feeling a big PR in the squat coming up (nailed 390x4 easily last week) so maybe I'll shoot for 435 or 440 on the second attempt? I'm not really sure how to pace this.

Bench
1st attempt: 260 (like, 30 pound meet pr LOL)
2nd attempt: 280?
3rd attempt: 290?

from the videos I've looked at, the pause looks like it will be a long one, so I'm not going to expect much of a PR here:
MVLn46VIg2k
-3gjCoiUFf0

Deadlift
1st attempt: 485?
2nd attempt: 540? (55 lb meet PR)
3rd attempt: 550?

Yeah no idea on a few of these. any help would be appreciated.

Travis Bell
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
video of you in the gym hitting these numbers is very helpful.

Only thing I can recommend would be don't open with PRs. I don't see a whole lot of guys that have success with that. Especially with your bench. A 33lb meet PR? That's pretty significant. I'd lower that one a bit at least so it's not such a huge PR. Still though, I'm not a fan of opening with a PR. Still difficult to tell though without seeing you handle these numbers

MarcusWild
04-08-2009, 10:50 PM
I think you should always error on the side of opening light, especially raw. It'll give you more energy for your 2nd and 3rd. You don't want your opener to count in your total. Take an opener that puts you in a better position to make your 2nd and 3rd attempts.

Lones Green
04-09-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm for not opening with PR's. Open very light.

SGT ROCK
04-09-2009, 05:31 AM
You should be able to do AT LEAST three solid, contest style reps with your opener, and for the squat I would say four or more, you have to be in it to win it! The squat is the toughest to get in and it is first so do not be afraid to go a bit lighter to ensure you are in the contest. Your openers solidify the fact that you are in the contest, after that work on strategy for first place and prs.

Semper Fi

drew
04-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Just open with something you could get on your worst day. If you did 390x4, I would open with that. Go for PRs on your second or third attempts. Just keep it easy for openers.

Ryano
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I agree with whats said above. Don't open with a PR. I don't think you have to be able to triple your opener, but make it light enough you can do it with the flu, hungover, and no food. Most people that open with PR's are sorry they did. To many things can go wrong in a meet situation.

Hazerboy
04-09-2009, 02:45 PM
video of you in the gym hitting these numbers is very helpful.

Only thing I can recommend would be don't open with PRs. I don't see a whole lot of guys that have success with that. Especially with your bench. A 33lb meet PR? That's pretty significant. I'd lower that one a bit at least so it's not such a huge PR. Still though, I'm not a fan of opening with a PR. Still difficult to tell though without seeing you handle these numbers

Sorry, I should have made things more clear-- my last meet was over a year ago. The meet PR thing was kind of a personal joke because I haven't competed in so long. In the bench I've done 255x3, 260x3, and 265x3 all in the last two months or so in the gym, touch and go (no bounce, under control). 265x3 was 3 weeks ago. At my least meet I sort of bombed out on bench and only made my opener of 230. Since then I've gained 10 or 15 lbs and my form has certainly gotten better.

I agree a video would be really helpful, but I just don't have one. :( I'll be sure to take videos at the meet itself. I'm confident that even on a bad day I could hit my openers, though I may open a little bit lighter on the squat and deadlift. (390 for squat and maybe 475-485 on deadlift?). On friday I'll do 260x1 on bench, with a pause, to see how that feels, and I'll try and take a video then.

I guess my question was more along the lines of when do you try and PR in a meet - 2nd or 3rd attempt?

Hazerboy
04-09-2009, 02:49 PM
You don't want your opener to count in your total. Take an opener that puts you in a better position to make your 2nd and 3rd attempts.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I was planning on setting a personal record on my 2nd or 3rd attempts, but probably setting my openers a little too high on the off chance that I don't make my later attempts, which, in retrospect, kind of sounds like I'm setting myself up for failure.

Travis Bell
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
It doesn't matter when your last meet was. When I lifted at the August ProAm in 08, I hadn't competed for a year and a half. I only opened up with a 5lb PR. You can make bigger jumps on seconds and thirds

I open light, go for a small PR on my second and a big one on my third

Hazerboy
04-09-2009, 03:26 PM
EDIT: I changed a thing or two on my first post to make it a little more clear. For the record, I wasn't planning on opening with 430 or 440 on squat, more like opening with something like 390, then 430 (5 lb pr), then 440. Are my jumps between the lifts two big or to small? (subject to change of course depending on how I feel that day.

MarcusWild
04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
My plan at meets is:

1. Get in the meet.
2. Set a small PR.
3. Pick a third based on how I feel that day.

Don't over think it too much. A lot of people (I've done it myself), get obsessed with hitting certain numbers. If they miss an opener or 2nd, then it throws off everything and they are mentally screwed for the day.

Sean Hatley
04-09-2009, 06:17 PM
For your squat i'd say you should open with 390 since you were able to hit it for 4 reps. Ive seen people open up way to heavy and miss there opener on all 3 attempts and there out of the meet and you ask them waht happened and they say they just ran out of gas trying to get depth or fell out of groove. Well if that the case then you opened up way too heavy. Jsut choose your opener as something you can or have hit for 3 reps then go up whatever on your second and third.

PeteTheGreek
04-09-2009, 06:34 PM
90% rule. I open with 90% of what I can reasonably expect to get in a meet. If I expect a 725 squat, I'll open with 90% of that, or 650. It's a conservative number that will keep you in the meet. I don't even plan second or third attempts ahead of time. I'll pick a second attempt based on how my openers felt.

waynedang
04-09-2009, 07:31 PM
It doesn't matter when your last meet was. When I lifted at the August ProAm in 08, I hadn't competed for a year and a half. I only opened up with a 5lb PR. You can make bigger jumps on seconds and thirds

That is normally my plan.

Hazerboy
04-10-2009, 01:44 PM
All very good ideas guys, thanks for the help.

Reko
04-11-2009, 12:10 PM

This is what i have done with pretty good success as well in my small number of meets.