PDA

View Full Version : Front Squats

Andre518
04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Yesterday I did some front squats for the 1st time in about 6 month. The last time I did them I had to do them on a smith machine because the gym I was at (planet fitness) did not have squat rack. Well today when I woke up I noticed that I have to big bruises on the front of each my shoulders. I was wondering if I was holding the weight wrong or will it take time to get use to them? I had the bar across the front of me with my arms crossed over holding the bar in place. I tried to hold the bar with my hands in a clean position but it just wasn't working for me that way.

BrockO'Bummer
04-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Key pointers:

-the bar should almost choke you

-it should be done at the power rack...

Can you just find another gym? Free weights are much more effective.

Andre518
04-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry I wasnt to clear I stoped doing them on at PF because of the SM. I now go to Golds and just started doing them with free weights, I was wondering if I was doing them wrong because I am new to doing them with free weights. Also because of the large bruises on my front shoulders.

Auburn
04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Nothing to worry about, it happens when you first start doing them.

Hazerboy
04-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Well today when I woke up I noticed that I have to big bruises on the front of each my shoulders. I was wondering if I was holding the weight wrong or will it take time to get use to them? I had the bar across the front of me with my arms crossed over holding the bar in place. I tried to hold the bar with my hands in a clean position but it just wasn't working for me that way.

Never happened to me before, but I haven't front squatted in ages, and my best ATG for 1 was something like 300 or 350x1. If the clean position isn't working for you, your arms are probably just inflexible -- your elbows should be HIGH, triceps at least parallel with the ground the whole time. Most people have a hard time getting into that position, which can lead to problems.

Arms across the shoulders is fine too, and some people claim you can handle more weight this way, but I've never liked it.

rctriplefresh5
04-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Yesterday I did some front squats for the 1st time in about 6 month. The last time I did them I had to do them on a smith machine because the gym I was at (planet fitness) did not have squat rack. Well today when I woke up I noticed that I have to big bruises on the front of each my shoulders. I was wondering if I was holding the weight wrong or will it take time to get use to them? I had the bar across the front of me with my arms crossed over holding the bar in place. I tried to hold the bar with my hands in a clean position but it just wasn't working for me that way.

Key pointers:

-the bar should almost choke you

-it should be done at the power rack...

Can you just find another gym? Free weights are much more effective.
after looking at some key words in his post it seems that he USED to do them in the smith machine and now for the first time ever has done it free weight, thus why he is questioning his form since he now has thes bruises.

MNRob
04-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Andre

I get bruises on my shoulders from front squats. They have gradually become less and less.

CleverName
04-11-2009, 08:03 PM
I don't get bruises but my left clavicle really hurts. I'd say some pain/bruising afterwards is mostly normal. No biggie. I front squatted 10x10 with 172lbs last night; coach wants me to get my muscular endurance up. Wasn't fun. :(

1400total
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
you can try using straps, wrap the straps around the bar and keep the open loop exposed hold the bar onto your clavicles and grap the exposed loops with your hands. Its much easier on your wrists.