PDA

View Full Version : Which road to go down?

Trainwreck
04-09-2009, 08:28 PM
First off, some basic info. I'm 6'4 ~210 lbs and 17% bf.
Due to injury I was forced to stop participating in sports and lifting for a while,a long while... but now I'd like to get back at it.
My goals are to lower my BF by ~7% and trade that off for lean muscle.
As far as nutrition, I'm eating about 3000-3500 calories a day (40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat) but i don't know whether to bulk or cut, I started working out to failure on a 3 day split mostly based on compound exercises.

Basically, I am unsure whether to cut or bulk, any advise would be greatly appreciated. :newbie:

2kool
04-09-2009, 11:26 PM
IMO 210 lbs is too light for someone that tall. im only 5'7 and my goal is to be at least 225 when its all said and done... so i would say bulk up some more before worrying about the cut..... of course this is coming from someone who doesnt care the slightest bit about BF% and who will be bulking till the day they die so maybe im a little biased towards it =P

Joshua_P
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM

You wont lose 7% of your body fat bulking.
I believe you answered your own question.

Mercuryblade
04-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Due to injury I was forced to stop participating in sports and lifting for a while,a long while... but now I'd like to get back at it.
As far as nutrition, I'm eating about 3000-3500 calories a day (40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat) but i don't know whether to bulk or cut, I started working out to failure on a 3 day split mostly based on compound exercises.

Basically, I am unsure whether to cut or bulk, any advise would be greatly appreciated. :newbie:

Well the good news is that if you've been out of the lifting game for awhile you might be able to do a little recomp when you first start getting back into it.

It's really a matter of personal preference, people on this site tend to sway in favor of getting bigger but at the end of the day it's your decision. At 17% bf and 210 lbs it means that ~35 lbs (I think I'm doing mental math, and it's late...) of you is body fat, and if you want to get down to the 10% range that means you would have to lose ~15lbs of pure fat, putting you at 195lbs and 6'4". Depending on your frame size, that could be pretty skinny.

Trainwreck
04-10-2009, 05:50 AM
I don't really care about BF % right now, 10% is just where I'd like to be... eventually. I guess its time to bulk, thanks for clearing this up guys.