PDA

View Full Version : Making weight--female lifters

JK1
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
My wife and I are prepping for the SPF Nationals in May. We were looking at numbers today and realized that she's got a fairly reasonable chance of totalling ELITE at 132 at that meet---an 827 total in gear in the SPF---but totaling ELITE at 148 is a real long (IE probably won't happen) shot---909 in the SPF.

She has competed both as a 132 and as a 148, with her "natural" weight being around 138-139 lbs at 5'8". With the meet being 6 weeks out, I am trying to plan out and fine tune what we need so that she can weigh in at exactly 132 and compete at around 136-138 or so. The last meet we did, she missed weight by half a pound, so I'm a bit paranoid this go around (I got yelled at).

I personally don't ever worry about my weight. I'm a SHW so for me making weight means I can get my legs into my squat suit. In her case its a different story.

I'm looking for any words of wisdom or ways of making weight that you guys are willing to share....

Thanks.

MarcusWild
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
It should be easy. Just have her water load the week of the meet. Then cut water about 18 hours before weigh ins. Monitor her weight because she doesn't have to cut much. She may be able to get away with eating some eggs or boiled chicken breast while cutting. After weigh in, rehydrate using gatorade, pedialyte, water, etc. The key is to get back to her normal weight.

She should never miss by a half a pound either. You can spit out a pound in about 20 minutes with ice breakers sour candies. Buy some and keep them with you incase you need them last minute. Not that I've ever been at a meet and had to drive around last minute looking for a store to buy them at to make weight, haha.

Athos
04-10-2009, 04:39 PM
7 pounds shouldn't be that difficult at all. She should be able to cut nearly all of it in water. What works for me is cutting back on food starting Wednesday, living mainly on lean proteins and vegetables. Then about 24 hours out from weigh-in, I cut all water intake. That alone will usually be good for 5-6 pounds, I just urinate that out. If I throw on a sauna suit and ride the bike or actually use a sauna, I can lose several more pounds in under an hour. Then just re-hydrate with pedialyte and I am good. Kroczaleski wrote a great article on dropping water weight, he basically sweats it all out. He uses a hot bath and sauna and sweats out all his weight. I think if your wife can cut a pound or two more of fat, she will only have to lose five pounds or so, should be fairly easy if done smart.

Beefcaker
04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Keep in mind that what works for losing 7lbs for a 242lb man is different than for a 132lb woman. (i mean it'll still work, but to a lesser degree)

JK1
04-10-2009, 10:14 PM
She should never miss by a half a pound either. You can spit out a pound in about 20 minutes with ice breakers sour candies. Buy some and keep them with you incase you need them last minute. Not that I've ever been at a meet and had to drive around last minute looking for a store to buy them at to make weight, haha.

LOL. Nah, its more a matter of her not wanting too do something like that....

She's gone back and forth between weight classes before. It really wasn't that big of a deal with that meet. The upcoming one is gonna be different.

JK1
04-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Keep in mind that what works for losing 7lbs for a 242lb man is different than for a 132lb woman. (i mean it'll still work, but to a lesser degree)

Yup, which is why I asked here, thinking there'd be lifters with insight/experience.

From a pure medical/mathematical sense for a person her size to drop 7 lbs, she's going to have to dehydrate her body by 5%. For a 242 lb guy, its barely a 3% dehydration for the same amount of weight. In my mind2% can make a huge difference in terms of successful rehydration and even performance at the meet. Maybe I'm overthinking things, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm open to any other suggestions/experiences too.

scott rowe
04-10-2009, 10:59 PM
for that amount of weight i wouldn't water load. ex lax and soaking in the tub should take her about 4 hours if done right. eat no carbs nite before just salad. first hour can loose 2 pounds in a tub.

MarcusWild
04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
A 242 lb guy can easily drop 18 lbs without much effort. I've gone 238-220 a few times. It's pretty easy. Kroc goes from 250ish to 220.

JK1
04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
A 242 lb guy can easily drop 18 lbs without much effort. I've gone 238-220 a few times. It's pretty easy. Kroc goes from 250ish to 220.

The way Kroc dehydrates himself amazes me. He really seems to push the limit to phsyiological breakdown.

Hazerboy
04-11-2009, 05:31 PM

This is a very good point. I've watched wrestler's at lower weightlcasses really struggle with this big of a weight drop while for us bigger guys it was never that big of a deal.

If she's still real close the day of the meet, just throw on some sweats or (if meet allows) plastics and jump some rope or something. Usually it would take around 20 minutes for a medium sized guy to lose a pound if he's not already too dehydrated.

Pedialyte? I never would have thought of that. Wikipedia tells me sports teams and MMA fighters use it. Why's the pro's of using that versus conventional electrolytes, and isn't there a danger in taking in too many?

scott rowe
04-12-2009, 10:40 AM
pedilyte is great after weighs in drink 3 liters with wazie maze in it and u can feel the weight go back on. u won't take in to many if u keep ur meals up.

JK1
04-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Pedialyte? I never would have thought of that. Wikipedia tells me sports teams and MMA fighters use it. Why's the pro's of using that versus conventional electrolytes, and isn't there a danger in taking in too many?

The biggest difference between Pedialyte and other "sports" drinks is the amount of sugar in the drinks. A liter of Pedialyte has 25 grams of sugar in the form of 20 grams of glucose and 5 grams of dextrose. It also has approximately 3375 mg of sodium (something like almost 150% of the RDA) and 1500 mg potassium (like 40% of the RDA). Compare this to a liter of Gatorade: 220calories, 56 grams carbs in the form of sugar, and 440 mg of Sodium and 120 mg of Potassium. Its confusing with gatoraide too becuase of all of the different types out there. Powerade has 320 calories, with 60 grams of sugar, 210 mg of sodium and 120 mg of potassium.

We use oral rehydration quite a bit with both mine and my wifes patients. Getting animals to drink the flavored drinks is sometimes difficult, but you can take just plain water and make a mixture of table salt, salt substitute (potassium chloride) and magnesium oxide then add table sugar to get what you want that animals will usually drink readily. The general thought is that its really hard to cause a problem with commercially avialable electrolyte solutions if administered orally (IV is a differnet story, especially with potassium). With the homemade ones, you can overload on sodium, so that has to be watched carefully. Typically too much sodium will make the animal vomit---if its a species that can vomit. This is the same with humans.
Oral potassium shouldn't be a problem as long as the person has normal kidney function.

lil' power
04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
JK,
sent PM

I've cut successfully 7 lbs from 172...165 class w/o any strength loss. I always weigh in on Fri mornings so I have 24 hours to rehydrate. I'm planning on using the same plan for nationals prob going from 155 to 148...let me know if you want the regiment I normally use.

Granted I've probably got more fat content than Amy does and I'm going raw not geared.

Vikki

JK1
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
JK,
sent PM

I've cut successfully 7 lbs from 172...165 class w/o any strength loss. I always weigh in on Fri mornings so I have 24 hours to rehydrate. I'm planning on using the same plan for nationals prob going from 155 to 148...let me know if you want the regiment I normally use.

Granted I've probably got more fat content than Amy does and I'm going raw not geared.

Vikki

Vikki,

I read your PM before I read this message. I'd really like to see what you did (and GOOD JOB! again on the ELITE total) I've got a plan, but any information---from people who've done it--is going to be useful. We are tracking weights the next week and then we'll go from there.

PM it or email it please,

Thanks.

JK