PDA

View Full Version : Simple question on how you should cut

snikez
04-11-2009, 05:51 PM
so two options here

1. You lost a pound this week. You keep calories the same to see if you lose another pound the next week. After the week, if you haven't lost the other pound, then you lower calories some more. Seems to be more time consuming.

2. You lost a pound this week. You automatically lower the calories from the previous week to lose the another pound the next week. This method seems to be a faster way to lose the fat but you risk losing more weight and thus more muscle.

So which method would you guys recommend? Should I only decrease calories after my body won't lose any more weight with the calories it's given? Or just decrease calories every week to make sure I continue to lose the weight continuously.

VikingWarlord
04-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Decreasing calories every week is not only pointless, it's also STUPID. Any well-formed rapid cut plan is going to include refeeds and/or cheat meals to help curb the inevitable metabolic slowdown and any well-formed moderate cut plan will be set up so that it's not that big an issue.

If your body stops losing on the same deficit, you've basically trashed your metabolism.

I swear this same question came up here like 3 days ago.

snikez
04-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Decreasing calories every week is not only pointless, it's also STUPID. Any well-formed rapid cut plan is going to include refeeds and/or cheat meals to help curb the inevitable metabolic slowdown and any well-formed moderate cut plan will be set up so that it's not that big an issue.

If your body stops losing on the same deficit, you've basically trashed your metabolism.

I swear this same question came up here like 3 days ago.

Thanks for replying so quick. I'll go with #1 then. And I'd assume you would use the same strategy when bulking, right?

VikingWarlord
04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Really, if you think about it, you can only cut calories on a regular schedule for so long before you get to where you stop eating completely. That's what makes it stupid.

snikez
04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Really, if you think about it, you can only cut calories on a regular schedule for so long before you get to where you stop eating completely. That's what makes it stupid.

well I meant to describe it like this: You lose the weight, then you decrease calories. The next week you lose more than a pound. Then you would keep calories the same again until you don't lose the weight anymore. Still a faster cut than the better option though.

VikingWarlord
04-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Faster, yes. Most efficient, no.

joey54
04-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Why dieting at 159 lbs?

VikingWarlord
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
I thought about asking but decided I don't really want to know.

snikez
04-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Why dieting at 159 lbs?

Yeah I know it's not that much but I've got a bit of fat around my stomach. Enough to grab with my hands lol.

joey54
04-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Yeah I know it's not that much but I've got a bit of fat around my stomach. Enough to grab with my hands lol.

Well, You could probably still stand to gain some more weight before you diet, but it is your body. Continually "bulking" and "cutting" will not be as effective as just slowly gaining weight over a period of time and dieting after that.

VikingWarlord
04-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Well, You could probably still stand to gain some more weight before you diet, but it is your body. Continually "bulking" and "cutting" will not be as effective as just slowly gaining weight over a period of time and dieting after that.

Agreed.

The only situation it's better to drop fat before gaining again is when you're hugely fat to begin with. A bulk tends to stick better if you de-fluff before trying to add muscle.

You don't have to worry about it. You're 16. It doesn't matter.

snikez
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM

Yeah I understand that much. I just don't want to get to a point where I'm unhappy with my appearance. And it's starting to get that way.

Agreed.

The only situation it's better to drop fat before gaining again is when you're hugely fat to begin with. A bulk tends to stick better if you de-fluff before trying to add muscle.

You don't have to worry about it. You're 16. It doesn't matter.

Yeah I know it doesn't matter much at my age but I'd just like to drop some of the fat to look and feel better. I don't know how much it will take for me to feel better once looking the mirror. I'm going on a 3 week vacation to Europe in the summer so I'm going to have my cut finished before that. Probably will lose about 10 pounds.

Joshua_P
04-13-2009, 05:21 PM

So do I. I just started 'bulking'...
I weigh 194, and im 16, 5'11", trying to get to around 250 in 9 months. Ill start dieting again in december when im done with SS.

VikingWarlord
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Yeah I understand that much. I just don't want to get to a point where I'm unhappy with my appearance. And it's starting to get that way.

Yeah I know it doesn't matter much at my age but I'd just like to drop some of the fat to look and feel better. I don't know how much it will take for me to feel better once looking the mirror. I'm going on a 3 week vacation to Europe in the summer so I'm going to have my cut finished before that. Probably will lose about 10 pounds.

Well, I've said that I think it's a bad idea but you'll do whatever you want. It's really going to be better for you in the long run to just stick with eating and lifting. At the least, maintaining will help.

Just remember this when you're here at the end of the summer complaining about being too small.

Brad08
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
i thought about asking but decided i don't really want to know.

lmao

snikez
04-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Well, I've said that I think it's a bad idea but you'll do whatever you want. It's really going to be better for you in the long run to just stick with eating and lifting. At the least, maintaining will help.

Just remember this when you're here at the end of the summer complaining about being too small.

Ok if it'll be better in the long run, then I'll take your advice. How much weight do you recommend I gain then?

VikingWarlord
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Until you've got 2-3lb or so more LBM than you ultimately want to end up with. Once you have that part done, then you just have to cut slow to preserve what you built.