PDA

View Full Version : Deadlifting with a belt?

MadScientist
04-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I have never deadlifted with a belt before.

I always thought the point was to place the emphasis on the lower back.
I just keep a full breath and arch my back so it doesnt round.

So anyways, I saw a few threads were people mentioned their max deadlift as "with belt"

SO I tried using a belt (same belt I squat with), and
I cant lift anywhere near as much.

When I deadlift I feel like my whole chest, back, abs/core tighten, like my whole body is tightening and under tension.

When Im using the belt I feel like thats not happening. The looser I make the belt, the more powerful my deadlift feels. With the belt I just feel constricted.

What is the benefit of a belt for deadlifting?

MadScientist
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
This should have been in powerlifting.

deeder
04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
It takes some getting used to... With your height and weight it's probably just getting in the way of you setting up properly. I'm also guessing that you pull conventional stance... I find pulling in a belt conventional quite awkward too, when I was 160lbs it was fine but now it just gets in the way.

MadScientist
04-12-2009, 10:29 AM
I pull from the floor unless I'm going for a big number.

I stand on a wood box.

Sidior
04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
So the majority of your deadlifts are with an extended ROM?

MadScientist
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Been deadl'ing 8-10 times a month for last 2 months.

I lift from a box for 6-7 of those.

MarcusWild
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
You can wear a belt too tight. If you can't get in a lot of air and push against the belt, then it's too tight. For deallifting, I like to wear the belt at a slight angle (higher in front and lower in back). It makes it easier to get to the bar.

Pete22
04-12-2009, 11:50 AM
My first meet I didn't wear a belt to pull b/c I felt the belt just got in the way and messed up my form. Once I learned to take in air correctly and push my abs out against the belt, I prefer to pull with one now.

Lones Green
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
It SHOULD feel like your core is tightening, thats kind of what a belt is for. Keep messing around with it, like a lot of things in powerlifting, you can't just put a belt on and expect to deadlift more without knowing how to use it.

pie zar
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
i use a skinny bodybuilding type belt when i deadlift so it doesnt get in my way, you should try using a bench belt at first to get use to it and then move up.

BigTallOx
04-12-2009, 04:07 PM
What is the benefit of a belt for deadlifting?

For me, when I pull conventional the belt gets in the way and makes it harder. When I pull semi-sumo, I like the belt because I press my gut against it and it keeps everything tight.

KarstenDD
04-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Wear it high in the front, low in the back. Don't know why, but that keeps the belt in place better for conventional pulling. Wear it tight but just loose enough to be able to get your air. Pulling from a deficit isn't going to make adjusting to the belt any easier.