PDA

View Full Version : Have really plateued as of late

muscled
04-12-2009, 04:55 PM
Not because of the normal reasons. i bulked to 215, felt fat and started cutting to 170. I am now 175 and am losing defintion in my bottom abs. I am petrified of gaining any fat and look like a skinny bitch in all my photos now. Before I looked powerful but wanted a good beach bod. Now i look like a math prof. I need to get off this fear of gaining fat. Anyone else ever start cutting and end up screwing up their head.

VikingWarlord
04-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Stop being afraid of fat and do what you know you're supposed to. You're not going to get morbidly obese in a matter of a few weeks. It's not healthy to maintain very low bodyfat levels for long periods of time.

Sidior
04-12-2009, 05:19 PM
What is your bodyfat? Have you been tracking cals?

muscled
04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I have indeed headf***ed myself it seems. I have been eating 1200-1500 cals a day. Whenever I pass beyond that, EXTREME self loathing and guilt sets in. I guess I just have to start eating more than a small chicken breast and a few greens at dinner and see what happens. i want big muscles but want abs much more. The 6-pack was beautiful at 170 but everything else looked anorexic. LOL! Damn! I am petrified of getting fat again. I will try 2000 cals per day for now and see what happens.

cwoodrb105
04-12-2009, 06:07 PM
Quit being a puss. Just eat as much as you can and LIFT. Girls really don't care about a lean body THAT much, and some are attracted to a bigger build. So just shut up.

muscled
04-12-2009, 07:36 PM
jed, I'm looking at getting back to a 5x5 program and gradually increase cals to see where I go. Somewhere along the way the cutting program started to mess with my head. Appreciate your response.

jed
04-12-2009, 07:37 PM
just dont worry about it. sometimes you gotta take a step back before you can take another step forward! you gotta get big before you can get jacked, ya know?

CrazyK
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
What's this "beach bod" you speak? If it's comparable to Arnold 78' then you will have to go through the pain of putting on excess fat to eventually cut and reach your goals. If it's comparable to some Brad Pitt homoerotic fantasy body then just keep doing what you're doing.

Tom Mutaffis
04-13-2009, 05:06 PM
You need to keep your protein intake high regardless of what you are doing calorie or carbohydrate wise. You should also always include healthy fats (salmon, olive oil, nuts).

The biggest misconception is that people start to restrict themselves on how much they eat instead of what they eat. I was in low single digit bodyfat for almost a year and ate probably every two hours. Granted I did not have a ton of variety in my diet but if you know what to eat that is the most important factor.

I would do some research on the glycemic index and find out which foods impact your blood sugar levels the most then take things from there. Follow the basic principals that you never mix fat and carbs in the same diet, and cut carbs out around dinner time. Drink a ton of protein shakes and you need at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight per day - right there that is 720 calories. Even when dieting most bodybuilders will take in 50-100 grams of carbs (carb cycling is probably the most effective and I would go about 150 grams on training days and in the lower range on non-training days) - that would be another 300-450 calories. You should have at least 40-60 grams of fat per day as well, and if you are drinking a few MRP shakes, taking EFA's, etc. you will easily hit that number. That is another 450 calories. So even on a pretty low intake diet we are talking between 1500-1700 calories per day. If you are eating 1200-1500 that is simply way too low; especially if your goal is to gain size.

If you want to look like a bodybuilder you need to eat like a bodybuilder. Tons of sweet potatoes, brown rice, broccoli, vegetables, lean meat (steaks), fish (tuna, salmon, etc.), grilled chicken, and protein supplements. Use fruit or honey as fast carbs to fuel your workouts and do a re-feed every couple of weeks to keep your metabolism in check and also add some calories to help aid in recovery.

There should be some specific diets out there but if you need help just come up with a diet plan and create a new thread. On the right program you can gain back some size without having to worry about bodyfat, and more importantly break the catabolic routine that you are on right now.

Hope this helps...

given'er
04-13-2009, 10:44 PM
You need to keep your protein intake high regardless of what you are doing calorie or carbohydrate wise. You should also always include healthy fats (salmon, olive oil, nuts).

The biggest misconception is that people start to restrict themselves on how much they eat instead of what they eat. I was in low single digit bodyfat for almost a year and ate probably every two hours. Granted I did not have a ton of variety in my diet but if you know what to eat that is the most important factor.

I would do some research on the glycemic index and find out which foods impact your blood sugar levels the most then take things from there. Follow the basic principals that you never mix fat and carbs in the same diet, and cut carbs out around dinner time. Drink a ton of protein shakes and you need at least 1 gram per pound of bodyweight per day - right there that is 720 calories. Even when dieting most bodybuilders will take in 50-100 grams of carbs (carb cycling is probably the most effective and I would go about 150 grams on training days and in the lower range on non-training days) - that would be another 300-450 calories. You should have at least 40-60 grams of fat per day as well, and if you are drinking a few MRP shakes, taking EFA's, etc. you will easily hit that number. That is another 450 calories. So even on a pretty low intake diet we are talking between 1500-1700 calories per day. If you are eating 1200-1500 that is simply way too low; especially if your goal is to gain size.

If you want to look like a bodybuilder you need to eat like a bodybuilder. Tons of sweet potatoes, brown rice, broccoli, vegetables, lean meat (steaks), fish (tuna, salmon, etc.), grilled chicken, and protein supplements. Use fruit or honey as fast carbs to fuel your workouts and do a re-feed every couple of weeks to keep your metabolism in check and also add some calories to help aid in recovery.

There should be some specific diets out there but if you need help just come up with a diet plan and create a new thread. On the right program you can gain back some size without having to worry about bodyfat, and more importantly break the catabolic routine that you are on right now.

Hope this helps...

Tom

This is probably one of the best anwsers i've read on here yet. You know your stuff and put it out there in plain english.

muscled
04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Tom, thank you for a wonderfully helpful and encouraging post. All the best to you.