PDA

View Full Version : how many high carb days?

twm
04-13-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm just starting my 5th week of carb cycling after about 1.5 weeks at maintenence. its going well, dropping about .75-1.25lb per week, improved definition etc. I have been doing high carb days on workout days, which is 4 days per week, EOD. I'm kind of doubting myself -- is 4 high carb days too much? Will I see better results (e.g., faster fat burning) if I take 1 or 2 of those days out of there but keep my calories consistent with what I've been doing?

Workout days look typically like this plus or minus a few grams here or there:
P/F/C: 250/100/275 (g) 33/30/36 (%)

Non-workout days:
P/F/C: 300/100/100 (g) 48/36/16 (%)

i'm averaging 2500 cals/day at 40/40/20. should i just ride this out until i need to adjust cals then consider dropping a higher carb day?

VikingWarlord
04-13-2009, 08:25 AM
If what you're doing is working to your liking, stick with it. The high carb days are there to help you with energy for and recovery from training.

On the other hand, if you really want to drop a high carb day, do it on a day when you train your best muscle groups. I doubt it's going to make a big enough difference right now.

ZeroJointPain
04-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Yeah more power to ya if you can stick with this. Ive never been able to be that dedicated.
I would say once your ready to feel burnout do a week on the fly and eat what you want just make sure its healthy!!

Irish Pilot
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
If its working, no change is probably the best answer. That being said, my best weeks with carb cycling are those with only two days of high carb (over 200g). Have your high carb days on your toughest gym days (for me its typically back and leg days), moderate carbs on your other workout days, and low carbs on off or rest days.

Tom Mutaffis
04-13-2009, 05:07 PM
If what you're doing is working to your liking, stick with it. The high carb days are there to help you with energy for and recovery from training.

On the other hand, if you really want to drop a high carb day, do it on a day when you train your best muscle groups. I doubt it's going to make a big enough difference right now.

I agree with this advice.

Going with 3 high carb days might be more effective in the overall grand scheme of things - but you should definitely keep the carbs up pre-workout and post-workout regardless.

twm
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I like it about as much as I can considering I'm hungry and some of my lifts are struggling (legs and chest.. back and shoulders are strong as ever). It does seem to be working. If results don't keep up to the way I anticipate them to result, I think I will drop a high carb day before shoulders.... but it is too early to come to that conclusion. I'm definitely making solid. TY for advice!

Irish Pilot
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Best of luck either way! Carb Cycling has helped me slowly break a recent cut plateau.