PDA

View Full Version : Fuel for your meets..

BloodyDeadliftr
04-13-2009, 08:34 AM
I have already read the sticky of "your first meet." My first meet is this saturday (Power Palooza in York, PA) I know its going to be a really long day and I had a few questions that the "your first meet" couldn't answer..

1. I'm a big supporter of the supplements that Atlarge has and I'm wondering how I should space this out over the day? I take Results, Ets, Nitrean and Opticen....Should I put results in a gallon of water and sip on it all day long?? Give me some ideas..thanks..

2. What about food? Is there something that I should make ahead of time and bring with me since it is such a long day?? I was thinking a bunch of pbj sandwiches..

3.Is there anything that you guys think of when you get to the meet that you think when you get there that you could really use but don't have. Basically thinking "You know, I could really use..." or "Next time I'm going to bring..."

Thanks for your help...

Pete22
04-13-2009, 08:39 AM
The four things I bring with me for fuel at meets are Gatorade, Monster energy drinks, protein bars, and a few bananas. At larger meets with long flights, I'll usually go grab a whole food lunch between the squat and bench.

Reko
04-13-2009, 08:41 AM
#2 - I like to snack all day. Stuff that is "good" for you that has good electrolydes, vitamins, minerals etc are good. Like bananas. Also salty snacks and lots of fluids are good to stay hydrated. The PBJs are your call. What do you normally eat before training (or during if you do that)? That is probably the best bet to stick close to.

#3 - a cooler/goodie bag full of food. Last meet i did we got there around 9am and left around 830 PM. it was an anamoly probably but all I had were some bananas, gatorade mix and a big old bag of gardettos. I just wished i would have had a little more variety.

BloodyDeadliftr
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The four things I bring with me for fuel at meets are Gatorade, Monster energy drinks, protein bars, and a few bananas. At larger meets with long flights, I'll usually go grab a whole food lunch between the squat and bench.

good call on the bananas, and gatorade is going to be a must...

#2 - I like to snack all day. Stuff that is "good" for you that has good electrolydes, vitamins, minerals etc are good. Like bananas. Also salty snacks and lots of fluids are good to stay hydrated. The PBJs are your call. What do you normally eat before training (or during if you do that)? That is probably the best bet to stick close to.

#3 - a cooler/goodie bag full of food. Last meet i did we got there around 9am and left around 830 PM. it was an anamoly probably but all I had were some bananas, gatorade mix and a big old bag of gardettos. I just wished i would have had a little more variety.

i usually have something on the light side before I train..30min later i'll take my results..

that's a good call..i will probably do some grocery shopping on wednesday..i'll probably clean house on all their gatorade...not sure but I think i'm going to do a 1/2 water 1/2 gatorade mix..

KarstenDD
04-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Gatorade, water, monster, poptarts, ephedrine, skoal

Detard
04-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Pop tarts, sandwiches, energy drinks or caffeine pills, and water is what I brought to my first meet. I felt it was enough for the day

MarcusWild
04-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Don't eat anything that you don't normally eat. You don't want any expected surprises with how your body reacts to it.

chris mason
04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
No need to sip the RESULTS all day, although there would be nothing wrong with it. I think the fellow who suggested nothing out of the norm made the best recommendation. You will be nervous, and you don't want to upset your stomach if it can be avoided.

JK1
04-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Don't eat anything that you don't normally eat. You don't want any expected surprises with how your body reacts to it.

Yup.

I'm an insulin dependant diabetic, so for me food with the meets have to be very carefully planned out. In my case, moods--ie excitement can play a huge role with what happens with my blood sugars. The last thing I want is for my blood glucose levels to get messed up because thats going to make or break me during the meet. I've talked quite a bit with a nutritionist about premeet planning too. Basically in I'll write everything down I plan on eating from three days before the meet up through the meet a month before the meet and then review the weekend before. I always bring a cooler full of crap.

In my case, I'll eat a light breakfast, usually some eggs and toast or protein shake and oatmeal (what I usually eat). then I'll start checking blood sugars every 30 minutes to every hour throughout the day. I have a cooler full of food with me that includes turkey breast, saltines (in case I get nervous upset stomach), graham crackers (I'm a junkie sorry), bread, sugarfree redbull, lots of water, sugarfree gatoraide and regular gatorade, snickers bars, and something like twizzlers or peeps for my wife. If my blood glucose drops below 70 mg/dl, I'll consume simple carbs (gatorade or glucose tablets) to stabilize things and adjust from there. The snickers bars are incase its dropping fast and I've got an attempt coming up. Hypoglycemia is going to set me back quite a bit and it will affect me the rest of the day. I will drink a protein shake through the AM and eat a regular lunch of a couple of sandwiches, then switch back to protein shakes through the afternoon. I don't use any condements or anything like that with the sandwiches, the point is getting nutrients in, not taste.

BloodyDeadliftr
04-13-2009, 08:47 PM
thanks guys for your help...I'm going to set up everything tomorrow or wednesday!!

johnnyo_99
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM

this is the best advice, my first meet i ate apples, bananas, and PBJs. Whatever you plan on packing, double it, you may need it.

jmccown
04-15-2009, 05:51 AM
It would suck big time to get your gear on and then have to go take a crap because of an upset stomach.

Lones Green
04-15-2009, 08:16 AM
It would suck big time to get your gear on and then have to go take a crap because of an upset stomach.

Every time I get my briefs on I have to pee. There's no avoiding it, happens every single time. Maybe thats a good thing, maybe I feel like I need to get the squats over, squat em fast so I can pee haha

Having to go #2 would be even worse...

Pete22
04-15-2009, 09:37 AM
Every time I get my briefs on I have to pee. There's no avoiding it, happens every single time. Maybe thats a good thing, maybe I feel like I need to get the squats over, squat em fast so I can pee haha

Lol, this happened to me my last two meets. They should seriously make a zipper in the crotch on briefs and suits.

getting there
04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Bloody,

What weight class/division are you competing in? I am in the 242 am/raw divison. I wanted to be in the 220 class but right now I am 232 and I don't feel like trying to cut 12lbs in a few days, I am not trying to break any records there.

JK1
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM

My wife has done a full meet with rip-roaring diarrhea. She'd squat, then run for the bathroom. She made it through the entire day going 6 for 9 without making a mess. I was seriously impressed at the end of the day.....

Thank God it was a RAW meet.

Lones Green
04-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Lol, this happened to me my last two meets. They should seriously make a zipper in the crotch on briefs and suits.

Oh god. Rethink that. Imagine trying to get everything back in LOL

shortguy
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
thanks guys for your help...I'm going to set up everything tomorrow or wednesday!!

hey man i wish you luck at the meet my name is clint and i will be there somewhere probable side spotting if ya need any help with stuff dont be afraid to ask

bald bull
04-16-2009, 04:05 PM
bring your chew to calm ur nerves btwn lifts, ammonia caps, toilet paper(alot of venues are run down and have poor accomadations),ur own chalk for the warmup room, def MP3,baby powder for your thighs on the pull, a towel

Sean Hatley
04-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Monster Energy drinks, Ephedrine, Food to snack on during the day, Anadrol j/k, Gatorade, Water, Beer for after the meet.

SGT ROCK
04-17-2009, 08:02 AM
As long as your not diabetic or are on a strict diet for a medical reason, do not overthink what to eat on meet day. Eat a solid breakfast, maybe not too much greasy bacon that might make you feel crappy. For meet day PBJ sandwiches or PB and honey are one of my favs. Bananas are great, diet sodas, water, gatorade, red bulls, for a long meet I will get a subway sandwich. I eat just enough to not be hungry, but really do drink alot of fluids, mostly gatorades, red bulls, waters with flavoring etc. Dont overthink it, def eat but dont eat anything you wouldnt normally eat, keep it simple and DRINK PLENTY.

Semper Fi

BloodyDeadliftr
04-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Bloody,

What weight class/division are you competing in? I am in the 242 am/raw divison. I wanted to be in the 220 class but right now I am 232 and I don't feel like trying to cut 12lbs in a few days, I am not trying to break any records there.

I weighed in the 220 am raw junior division...

hey man i wish you luck at the meet my name is clint and i will be there somewhere probable side spotting if ya need any help with stuff dont be afraid to ask

I probably saw you clint, I'll post videos up on here once I upload them to my computer