PDA

View Full Version : Video of my front and regular squats

Andre518
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Today I brought my camera to the gym to video tape my form on my squats and front squats. I recorded the last set of each. I wanted to do this to see how far I was coming down since I don't have a partner to let me know how my form is. I was surprised at how off my regular squat is to me it feels like I come down to 90 but it obvious I'm not. I think I may be leaning forward too much. Can some of the better squatters here give me some pointer on how to fix this? Also today was my second time ever doing free weight front squats I was wondering how they looked and what I can do to improve form here as well. Thanks in advance. I know it's not a lot of weight on either bar :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYHLQPILyX0&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4t1DIrNUPI&feature=channel_page

rctriplefresh5
04-13-2009, 11:07 AM
i know you wanted advice from a better squatter, but i was first to this thread so ha :p your depth on the first link was very poor(not trying to be a dick just telling you like it is) you moved your legs maybe 2 inches and the rest was forwatrd lean, and you were still like a foot off from a parallel squat, and even more from an oly style squat(but in pl all you need is parallel squatting)

your 225 squat was a lot closer but it was still around 3 inches off from what id call parallels. it looked like you got the weight easy though so im sure 225 would be no problem to the proper depths.(it might have been less than 3 inches but im a very deep squatter so im kind of nuts ;) )

Andre518
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks I thought I was leaning to far forward. Squats have always been my worst lift. I was wondering do I hold the bar to high up on my back?

=Travis=
04-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I thought the bar placement was fine. Look up the squat rx videos, there is one concerning bar plaement. Depth was an issue as mentioned but that last rep you seemed to almost do a goodmorning the finish the rep like you're hips are rising faster than the bar.

Athos
04-13-2009, 03:00 PM
I watched your 365x3 several times, the camera is a bit low, so it is hard to tell, but it appears that you carry the bar in a good place. The thing that jumped out at me is that you squat with your knees traveling out over your feet. I'd probably squat 100 pounds less that way than with proper form. I've read it many times in Louie's articles and always keep it in mind with every set - push the glutes toward the rear, arch the back tight and push the knees out to the sides. You are supposed to squat back, not down - don't push your feet down, but out to the sides. I personally use a significantly wider stance than you, but the principles hold the same. Keep working on form and depth, you'll be there soon.

Travis Bell
04-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I thought the bar placement was fine. Look up the squat rx videos, there is one concerning bar plaement. Depth was an issue as mentioned but that last rep you seemed to almost do a goodmorning the finish the rep like you're hips are rising faster than the bar.

Agreed with everything ^

You need to probably stand a little wider and turn your toes out a tad more so you can open up your hips as well as sit back more.

Doing some more goodmorning work though will help strengthen your lower back more

Cmanuel
04-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I watched your 365x3 several times, the camera is a bit low, so it is hard to tell, but it appears that you carry the bar in a good place. The thing that jumped out at me is that you squat with your knees traveling out over your feet. I'd probably squat 100 pounds less that way than with proper form. I've read it many times in Louie's articles and always keep it in mind with every set - push the glutes toward the rear, arch the back tight and push the knees out to the sides. You are supposed to squat back, not down - don't push your feet down, but out to the sides. I personally use a significantly wider stance than you, but the principles hold the same. Keep working on form and depth, you'll be there soon.

Good advice, but look at his Squat stance. It's not as wide as many of your powerlifters, especially the ones Westside trains. His stance is barely wider than shoulder width. . For this reason, knee travel is a necessary evil.

If it were me, I'd drop the weights and make sure I'm hitting at least parallel. I had depth issues when I first started squatting, so I sucked it up, dropped weights switched to olympic style FULL ass to grass squats for about 12 weeks, and now whenever I do parallel squats I definitely don't have any depth issues. Just a thought.

Reko
04-13-2009, 06:42 PM
keep the head up on your back squats. it looks like its bobbing down on the way up. This kind of goes hand in hand with the hips coming up too fast

evilxxx
04-13-2009, 11:12 PM
On your regular Squat, Why are walking back so far back? save energy! I squat in a similar rack and I only take one step, then I adjust the feet angle.

Andre518
04-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I use to use a wider stance but as the weight went up I felt nervous about my knees(I tore my ALC years ago squats always get my mind going about blowing it out again.) So I started going to a more narrow stance. I will put some more work into them over the next few weeks and post an update in the coming month or so. Thanks again!