PDA

View Full Version : Beginner bulking diet

Malice
04-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Im quite new to diet manipulation and bulking and would be greatful for some feedback on my current eating plan.

Current weight is around 220 lbs (6'2"), I want to clean bulk to around 250-260.
Not sure what my body mass index is but my guess is around 25% body fat. I plan to get this checked at the gym some time this week.

Want to gain a load of muscle before my first cut however im not sure if im eating enough of the right foods. Also, I have no idea how many calories I need for maintenance or how many im eating a day.

Breakfast shake:

1 cup~ of oats
2 scoops of whey
tablespoon of psyillium husk
tablespoon of ground flaxseed powder
a bannana
handful of berries, usually rasberries or blueberries
mixed up with water.

Mid morning:

low fat protein bar (sometimes)

lunch:

usually a whole grain chicken roll with salad sometimes a chicken slice/pastry if im especially hungry.

dinner:

usually something like beans on wholemeal toast, tuna with pasta, chicken breast with salad.

after workout (around 8 pm):

Usually same as my breakfast shake but with juice instead of water.

wilkinsJD
04-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Why are you bulking if you're 25% body fat? Very bad idea, if you ask me.

Malice
04-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Because my goals are to be bigger and stronger and I dont think ill make enough gains in this regard on a cutting diet.

Malice
04-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Thinking about im probably more like 20% im not especially fat.. Just booked an appointment at the gym to get this checked.

whiteman90909
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Thinking about im probably more like 20% im not especially fat.. Just booked an appointment at the gym to get this checked.

Don't just go based off what they say your bf% is. No way of measuring bf is going to be perfect, especially nothing your gym would have. The decision to bulk or cut should be based on how you feel strengthwise and when you look in the mirror. There is no magic cut-if-youre-above-this or bulk-if-youre-below-this number.

What you're gonna need to tell us if you want us to rate your diet is your maintenance caloric intake and the macros for your diet plan. Use fitday.com to track your calories for a week or two. Don't eat any different than normal. Find the daily average: this is youre maintenance level. Add 500-1000 calories per day on top of that, depending on how fast you're trying to gain weight, and make sure to be consistent with it. If you don't gain, add a few hundred calories per day.

Now as for the diet, you might wanna wait until you know your maintenance level before you plan how many calories you'll need. After you've found your maintenance, get a plan together like the one you have above and find out how many calories you'll be eating along with the protein/carb/fat content of the diet. We need more information to make a decision based on how you're doing.

VikingWarlord
04-14-2009, 03:54 PM
No way of measuring bf is going to be perfect, especially nothing your gym would have.

Wrong. You're right that the gym won't have them, but DEXA can't be any more accurate and hydrostatic weighing is going to be very close behind it in terms of accuracy and precision, especially for someone with a BF% outside the "normal" low to mid-teens

Malice
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Right ive spent some time on fit day, apparently my calorie intake is 2100-2500 and apparently im burning around 3500 a day just from riding to work, and ive put 7 minutes of dead lifting which burned around 60 :/ Didnt include the rest of my workout which would add some more (was difficult finding my exercises on there)

The split is about 25% protein 15% fat 60% carbs

Im not sure how accurate this is as surely with this sort of deficit im massively under eating?

whiteman90909
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Wrong. You're right that the gym won't have them, but DEXA can't be any more accurate and hydrostatic weighing is going to be very close behind it in terms of accuracy and precision, especially for someone with a BF% outside the "normal" low to mid-teens

Hydrostatic weighing can still get screwed up by variations in bone and muscle density. I know it's good, but it's a question of how good.

DEXA I hadn't seen before, and it looks pretty efficient, but that's a heavy price tag it has with it...

My point was, though (which I forgot to get to), that it's not so much the actual number you're given when you go get your bf measured, but more of how that number changes over time. You can still use it to track progress, it just shouldn't be relied upon as a completely accurate measure of your bf.

whiteman90909
04-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Don't track your "energy expended" or whatever it's called on fitday (it's terribly inaccurate). You know you're using about the same amount of calories you're ingesting if you're maintaining your weight.

I'd get more protein and fat in... how many grams/day does it work out to be per macro?

Malice
04-15-2009, 03:43 PM
Today's macros worked out to about 284g of protein 361g of carbs, 50g of fat, 2600~ calories. Im thinking fat is a bit low?

Xellarz
04-15-2009, 11:13 PM
You're...gonna bulk...on 2600 calories??

Malice
04-16-2009, 06:42 AM
You're...gonna bulk...on 2600 calories??

No, if you read the post youll notice im asking for feedback and advice on what I should be eating.

Tom Mutaffis
04-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Today's macros worked out to about 284g of protein 361g of carbs, 50g of fat, 2600~ calories. Im thinking fat is a bit low?

By my calculations that comes out to be aprox. 3,030 calories

Protein = 1,136
Carbs = 1,444
Fat = 450

Malice
04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Thanks tom, that seems more like it. Ive now replaced my pure whey protein with some USN mass gainer, 43g protein per scoop around 600 calories per shake I think it is. Also going to add some veg to the evening meal stuff like broccoli/spinach.