PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift critique

berfles
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Here is a recording of my last set of my 370 5x5. First off I know I'm not locking my back out quite enough, this is the first time I noticed myself doing that and I attribute it to trying to hurry up and finish because I lifted a lot later than usual tonight.

I also really need to get some real shoes, these are so worn out they move a bit. It doesn't look too bad on the pull, but they shift around a lot on the descent.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7642.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7642.flv)

And don't mind my gut, I have to eat and lift within 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursday so I'm always bloated in the videos :) Felt like ****.

This is an older video from December, I seem to have improved my initial pull pretty good.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN7592.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN7592.flv)

Persicutor
04-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Looks good. Don't forget to push your hips forward towards the top of the lift.

slashkills
04-14-2009, 07:57 PM
Looked good to me. Only thing i seen is the lock out which you mentioned.

mcdonough9395
04-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeah man looking good. Nice lifts. Oh and you look massive compared to that video in December.

berfles
04-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try to max out again soon, hoping for at least 450 this time. I have no idea how much I should try for, always worried about messing something up so I can't tell if the weight is too heavy to lift or if I'm just pussing out.

Cmanuel
04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Looking great, a lot of improvement there. What shoes are you wearing right now? They look like skate shoes... i used to work out in those til i bought a set of chuck taylor's for $10 on ebay.

Anyways, form is looking good. Real solid. Only thing I can see is that the bar path is vertical on its way up, but not so much on its way down. Its really not that bad, but you can definitely notice it a little on the descent for rep 5. See how you hit the top of your knees a little??? Something to consider. Like i said its really not that bad, I'm sure just about all of us will have some form issues when you are doing near your max weight for 5x5

berfles
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Looking great, a lot of improvement there. What shoes are you wearing right now? They look like skate shoes... i used to work out in those til i bought a set of chuck taylor's for $10 on ebay.

Anyways, form is looking good. Real solid. Only thing I can see is that the bar path is vertical on its way up, but not so much on its way down. Its really not that bad, but you can definitely notice it a little on the descent for rep 5. See how you hit the top of your knees a little??? Something to consider. Like i said its really not that bad, I'm sure just about all of us will have some form issues when you are doing near your max weight for 5x5

Yep, they're eS skating shoes.

I definitely know I hit my knees, my right quad right where it attaches at the kneecap is always bruised and sore after deadlifting :) I'll take a look at the video and see if I can get the bar traveling better on the decent. Thanks.

I wouldn't say this is that near my max 5x5, last week or the week before I did 360-365lbs in my 5x5, and the last set I went for and got 10 reps. I could have gotten 10 with 370 too if I pushed, but last time I did that it really killed my lower back and messed with squatting that week :D

Cmanuel
04-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Yep, they're eS skating shoes.

I definitely know I hit my knees, my right quad right where it attaches at the kneecap is always bruised and sore after deadlifting :) I'll take a look at the video and see if I can get the bar traveling better on the decent. Thanks.

I wouldn't say this is that near my max 5x5, last week or the week before I did 360-365lbs in my 5x5, and the last set I went for and got 10 reps. I could have gotten 10 with 370 too if I pushed, but last time I did that it really killed my lower back and messed with squatting that week :D

Chucks will be superior to your skate shoes... skate shoes are flat soled but they have a lot of give in their sole... but, im sure you know that chucks will be an upgrade, especially if youve been around the game long enough to get as friggin' thick as you are, keep it up.

Honestly, i think starting strength has a few paragraphs that detail the descent pretty well with pictures. Maybe try a few backoff sets with 40-50% of your max with ULTRA STRICT form.

berfles
04-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Chucks will be superior to your skate shoes... skate shoes are flat soled but they have a lot of give in their sole... but, im sure you know that chucks will be an upgrade, especially if youve been around the game long enough to get as friggin' thick as you are, keep it up.

Honestly, i think starting strength has a few paragraphs that detail the descent pretty well with pictures. Maybe try a few backoff sets with 40-50% of your max with ULTRA STRICT form.

I'll have to get me a pair of Chucks. I wish I could see what you guys are talking about when you comment on my thickness or how much bigger I am than the last video :(

I want to go for 375x10 in my last set next week, but I don't want to be sore for squats again. We'll see if I get determined enough to try it. If I do I'll post the video this time. Maybe I'll just try for 405x8 over the weekend. Or maybe I'll just try maxing out again. So many choices!