PDA

View Full Version : Pain in bicep(s)

mattdunkin
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Lately whenever I squat (or do GMs) with a regular bar and get over say 5 plates, I develop a deep ache in my left arm and sometimes both, in the bicep area. If I bench within the next 2 days it will flare-up again and completely shut my arm down and the pain gets so bad that I have to wait about 15 minutes for it to subside.I've gotten to where I rarely use a regular bar to squat with and use the safety squat bar to avoid this.Is this bicipital tendonitis and what can I do to avoid this other than squatting with the safety squat bar? It really worries me as I don't want to squat in my next meet only to have this b.s. happen and affect my bench.I do no more than 3 sets of direct bicep work a week,mainly in the form of hammer curls.Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I love to squat.I know Louie speaks of the Westside crew rarely ever using a regular bar to squat with due to bicipital tendonitis and the stress it puts on the shoulders.

Tom Mutaffis
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Where is the pain in your biceps? If it is near the elbow then it could be tendonitis, but if it is a pain that is running down your arm then that sounds like it might be a nerve that is being compressed.

Is your left arm typically the "under" grip when deadlifting?

mattdunkin
04-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Where is the pain in your biceps? If it is near the elbow then it could be tendonitis, but if it is a pain that is running down your arm then that sounds like it might be a nerve that is being compressed.

Is your left arm typically the "under" grip when deadlifting?

The pain runs down my arm and my left arm is the overhand when I deadlift.You might be on to something with the nerve issue as I dealt with some pinched nerves last summer that caused my to take a few weeks off from training and they were stemming from my neck.

getting there
04-16-2009, 08:29 AM
It sounds like, from what you are describing, that you might have some nerve impingement/compression that is affecting your left arm. If I were you I'd meet with a neurologist. Anytime there might be nerve involvement in relation to sports we always tell our patients to see a neurologist instead of the orthopod.

-Joe