PDA

View Full Version : Katana Shirt Question

I.Believe
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I am using an A\S Katana size 46. I am wanting to move to a more aggressive shirt.

Series of questions - bare with me: I was wondering if I should move down to a size 44 A\S Katana, get the Super Katana size 46, or go all out with a 44 in the super? I want to be able to handle the shirt. What would be the better move in your opinion? Would I get more out of a 46 Super than out of a regular 44 Katana?
Sample of last nights Bench:

Warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
335 x 1

A\S Katana Sz46
1.5 Bd

385 x 2
425 x 2
450 x 2 Easy

2 Board 485 x 2 (Not bad..)
2.5 Board 505 x 1 (pr off 2.5 Bds)

I know it is difficult to determine this for someone you don't know, but looking for your opinion please.

Thanks!

Speedy Gonzalez
04-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Im no shirt expert like most of the pro's in here, but from my experience with my Katana going on right now actually. I had a 56 single ply Katana a/s that is so loose I can put it on and off by myself, so I figured a 56 2 ply Super Katana (SK) would be a perfect Comp. shirt..... Wrong when I got into my new 2ply SK I couldn't even get the bar to a two board, and that's with the pro's I train with trying all the tricks- Water, more reps, heavier weight, and it was still floating about 3 inches above the board in Mid-Air like a Magic Show. Maybe it will be different for you, but that's just my personal experience. Now it's just a matter of pure science/ gravity that the bar could have touched with heavier weight, I just felt I was a little to green in a shirt to fool with that tight of a shirt with weight I knew I would have an issue handling. So in closing I had to order a 58

MarcusWild
04-15-2009, 05:18 PM
How tight are the sleeves? From what I've seen, getting the sleeves super tight is the key. The super katana collar is another world. The guys I know that wear one actually go bigger on the chest plate, but have the arms taken in. It'll make it easier to touch. You still get plenty of pop off the chest. The tight sleeves give you support all the way to lockout. Going too tight on the chest plate is the path to frustration/failure.

Travis Bell
04-15-2009, 05:36 PM
If you are staying with single ply, go with the 46 super katana.

However if you are moving to double ply, move up a size or two

Speedy Gonzalez
04-15-2009, 05:40 PM
If you are staying with single ply, go with the 46 super katana.

However if you are moving to double ply, move up a size or two

Learned that the hard way, Thank God Ken has astounding customer service.

Travis Bell
04-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Learned that the hard way, Thank God Ken has astounding customer service.

LOL Ken is a top notch guy for sure. Glad you were able to get it straightened out.

Actually a pretty good principle is to ask Ken. Ken knows his shirts very well and can always recommend a size for guys.

Speedy Gonzalez
04-15-2009, 06:01 PM
LOL Ken is a top notch guy for sure. Glad you were able to get it straightened out.

Actually a pretty good principle is to ask Ken. Ken knows his shirts very well and can always recommend a size for guys.
Yeah I did, he told me it might be too tight. But I thought since my 56 single was so loose the 56 double would be perfect. Lessoned learned (note to self) TAKE THE PROFESSIONALS ADVICE I'm an ass sometimes. LMFAO

Eric Downey
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
my dbl is one size bigger than my single

Ryano
04-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I am using an A\S Katana size 46. I am wanting to move to a more aggressive shirt.

Series of questions - bare with me: I was wondering if I should move down to a size 44 A\S Katana, get the Super Katana size 46, or go all out with a 44 in the super? I want to be able to handle the shirt. What would be the better move in your opinion? Would I get more out of a 46 Super than out of a regular 44 Katana?
Sample of last nights Bench:

Warmups
225 x 3
275 x 3
335 x 1

A\S Katana Sz46
1.5 Bd

385 x 2
425 x 2
450 x 2 Easy

2 Board 485 x 2 (Not bad..)
2.5 Board 505 x 1 (pr off 2.5 Bds)

I know it is difficult to determine this for someone you don't know, but looking for your opinion please.

Thanks!

You are currently using a 46 A/S that you can't touch with yet, but you want to go to a more aggressive shirt? IMO, you should work with the shirt you have and make it work. Once you touch Full ROM and lockout some weight with it, then consider moving on to a more aggressive shirt. The single Katana is to much shirt for alot of people, much less than the Super. Most should start with a Fury or F6. Learn the shirt and get stronger with it.

I.Believe
04-16-2009, 05:46 AM
I can touch 400 by pulling the shirt up. I've competed with it several times with no problem. I just did not take any reps to chest last night. I had not had the shirt on in a while and wanted to hit some higher weights, hence the boards...

Further clarification: I am NOT wanting to go into a double ply.

Thanks for all the advice thus far guys! :)

I.Believe
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Is there that big of a difference in the Super vs Regular Katana? I understand the neckline is lower and thicker, but you can pull the regular shirt down as well. I just want to be sure I am making a wise purchase. Bigger bench not just a new shirt. I want to spend my money on something worthwhile.
One more question: I have about 10 wks until my next comp., can I be ready in a super K in this time? Is the difference that drastic? No powerlifters local to to me so that's why I ask here.
Thanks again guys.

scott rowe
04-16-2009, 10:36 AM
how old is your reg katana. i had a very old regular katana. the new super katana ended up being 2 sizes bigger. if u are 10 weeks out call up ken anderson and he will get u the right fit in time for your meet. the super can add 50 more pounds to your lift than a reg katana. hurry up though

MarcusWild
04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
My training partner had a 50 regular Katana. He could touch 455 in it. He got a 50 super katana and wasn't close to touching 495. He ended up going with a 54 super katana and having the sleeves taken in. He can touch 495 in it.

I.Believe
04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Just placed my order with Ken! Thanks guys!
Based off my frame: Super K size 46 (in black) My chest is 44.5 so I should be cool. My regular Katana is only 1 yr old, so the sizing is the same.

evilxxx
04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Well all this Katana talk got me convinced on getting mine sooner than what I had planned! so I will be ordering mine at the end of June. that will still give me some time to play with the furys I got for a few weeks before getting the Katana. That will give Scott R. plenty of time to show me the ways of the Katana before the oct SSA meet. haha

Ryano
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I can touch 400 by pulling the shirt up. I've competed with it several times with no problem. I just did not take any reps to chest last night. I had not had the shirt on in a while and wanted to hit some higher weights, hence the boards...

Further clarification: I am NOT wanting to go into a double ply.

Thanks for all the advice thus far guys! :)
I was unaware that you were touching in it. That's great. It's just that the Katana & Super Katana are alot more shirt that some people need. They get one and hit some big #'s off of boards and think it's great until they try to touch. They then find out it takes more to touch than they can lockout and get frustrated. I like the Super alot better than the regular Katana. I think they are more adjustable. I have a four year old Katana that I had made into a super. It's my opener shirt now. One of the best in my bag. Good luck with your new shirt.

I.Believe
04-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks Ryno! :)

butcher2
04-17-2009, 06:56 AM
I thought the same thing with my katana. If i had to guess you're what, 200-210ish or so? I had a 46 that I could touch 405 in, but thought hey I could probably squeeze into a 44. Couldn't get 500 to touch on the thing; she's one hellish pig. I made the decision to just stick with the 46 and work my ass off in that thing.