PDA

View Full Version : Cutting...any pointers?

Trainwreck
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading on this topic but I still find myself feeling unsure as to whether I'm doing this properly... any comments are greatly appreciated, I'll try to be as thorough as possible.
Some basic info:

Height: 6'4"
Weight: ~235 lbs
BF %: ~18%
BMR:~3500 cals/day

Macros:
40/40/20 (Carbs/Protein/Fat)
On any given day it'll look something like this: 280g/280g/80g...~3000 cals a day. Spread out into 6-7 meals on 2.5-3 hour intervals.

Supplements
Whey concentrate
Creatine Monohydrate
L-Glutamine
Fish Oil
Multi-Vitamins

Breakfast:
4 Eggs (Whole) [1.5/25/20]
1 Cups of Milk (Skim) [13/9/0]
1 Slice of multi-grain bread [21/4/2]
1 Cup of Oatmeal [26/3/1.5]
(Non-workout days: 5g Creatine Monohydrate mixed with ~40g of dextrose in water)

First Snack
1 Apple / Whatever fruit is at hand
1 Cup of Milk [13/9/0]
1 Scoop of Whey Protein [5/25/3]
(Pre-work out)

Lunch
180g Whole Wheat Pasta with Omega 3,6 [124/24/3]
1 Cup of Ground Beef (Extra Lean) [0/42/18]
Sauce with onions,garlic,mushrooms [16/2/1]

Shake
2 Cups of Milk [26/18/0]
2 tsbp Peanut Butter [8/6/14]
1 Banana [27/1.5/.5]
2 Scoops of Whey Protein [10/50/6]
1 tbsp Olive Oil [0/0/13.5]
(On work out days I have this before lunch)

Dinner
2 Fish Fillets (Tilapia in this case) [0/40/3]
2 Cups of green salad w/fibrous veggies [4/2/1]
2 tbsp Salad Dressing [2/0/6]

Bedtime Snack
1 Cup Cottage Cheese (Fat Free) [12/30/1]
1 Cup Strawberries [11/1/.5]

I realize thats just one day's worth but I'm pretty strict when it comes to this so regardless of what I switch things up with, macros remain pretty close
Thanks in advance (and thanks for reading my long ass post)

Unreal
04-15-2009, 11:12 PM
BMR:~3500 cals/day

Did you use a calculator or did you track your calories and intake to determine this? Calculators aren't accurate. So first thing is determine your maintenance and then determine how much of a deficit you want to run. ~500 cals a day should work well for ~1lb a week of weight loss.

Macros:
40/40/20 (Carbs/Protein/Fat)
On any given day it'll look something like this: 280g/280g/80g...~3000 cals a day. Spread out into 6-7 meals on 2.5-3 hour intervals.

Think of dosing not percents. You want protein ~1g/lb and fat around .5g/lb so that would put you ~235g protein and ~115g of fat. Fill the rest with carbs or whatever makes your comfortable. Comfort is what is import on a cut. Same thing with meals. If 3 meals makes you feel good and comply with your diet then do that. No need for 6-7 meals. I would starve to death on 6-7 meals a day. I normally eat a light lunch, light preworkout meal, then a large dinner and decent size prebed snack. My first meal is normally around noon.

Food choices look pretty solid. Make sure you get enough fiber and veggies.

Overall cutting is about calories. If you can stick to this plan and it is below maintenance you will lose weight. Keep protein high to preserve muscle and fat moderate to help with hormones/satiety. The rest is just tricks to make it easier to stick too.

Glutamine is a waste, and I find a blend of protein works a lot better on a cut. Whey is not very filling. Something with casein seems to hold off hunger longer.

Tom Mutaffis
04-16-2009, 08:51 AM
I agree with everything that Unreal said.

Protein goals should be based on bodyweight and you need an overall calorie goal based on a deficit below your maintenance calories.

A good quality protein blend: whey/egg/casein does work as well between meals, and can also replace your bedtime snack if you are looking for some variety.

Trainwreck
04-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Did you use a calculator or did you track your calories and intake to determine this?... ~500 cals a day should work well for ~1lb a week of weight loss.
I tracked my eating habits for a couple weeks and it came out to 3467 avg...maintaining.
Also, ~ how many calories would I have to cut out in order to lose weight a bit faster than 1lb a week?

...You want protein ~1g/lb and fat around .5g/lb so that would put you ~235g protein and ~115g of fat.
How much of that fat can be saturated in a cut?

Glutamine is a waste, and I find a blend of protein works a lot better on a cut. Whey is not very filling. Something with casein seems to hold off hunger longer.
I'm curious, why do you think glutamine sucks?
Oh an the Protein I'm taking is a Whey isolate/concentrate with egg albumen and milk protein isolate. Still got about 4lbs of that, i'm hoping to start on Nitrean when this stuff runs out.

Thanks for the comments, I still have lots to learn :read:

samadhi_smiles
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
why fat free cottage cheese? A little more fat in the cottage cheese will slow down the absorption of the protein during your sleep. Like 'time release' protein :)

Unreal
04-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Figure a lb is 3500 calories. So if your maintence is 3500 then 3000 will be 500 a day less, for ~3500 a week. To lose more you subtract more. The more severe you go the more risk you run of losing muscle and feeling like crap.

A lot of people like to do about 1/3 split of poly/mono/sat for fats.

Glutamine is the most abundant amino. Your one scoop of protein powder probably has just as much or more glutamine in it as what your adding from supplementing. Your going to be getting tons of it already.

I use FF cottage cheese because I perfer the texture and taste and add peanut butter or a handful of fishoil to up the fat.

snikez
04-16-2009, 02:53 PM
be sure to lose the weight slowly even if that means one week you didn't lose any weight at all. You want to make sure that you haven't accidentally lost more weight than you should have.

samadhi_smiles
04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
sweet unreal, substitute better fats for the milk fats. I like that idea. Hemp or flax oil would probably work well directly in the cottage cheese.

Trainwreck
04-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah I'm trying to be patient with weight loss but I'd rather be bulking, except I have to lower my BF% a bit first.
Once again, thanks a lot guys... really appreciate it.

samadhi_smiles
04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I feel ya man...bulking is just so much more satisfying...you (I) just feel better when eating above maintenance. The key is to find that sweet spot right above maintenance about 300 cals so you don't have to cut much at all.