PDA

View Full Version : Rate my new westside routine

patricky
04-16-2009, 07:51 AM
Well I've done heaps of research and decided I want to do westside. I read their site for hours and I'm sure I got it right. My goals are strength and nothing else. It looks like a lot, but I'm not worried as I think I'm a pretty good gainer. I was training before with a working set of 5 reps with the occasional max once a week. My bench stalled on that after about 3 months training. That's when I figured that I should change to westside.
My stats are 160KG squat, 200KG deadlift, 110KG bench at 108KG bodyweight (fat).

Well here is the routine, tell me if there is anything I need to change.

Westside training routine
Monday:
Maximum effort bench week 1
Bench warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Triceps barbell extensions 4x5 reps
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Lateral raise 4x8 reps
Barbell curls 3x10 reps
Cable Rows 4x8
Tuesday:
Max effort squat week 1
Squat warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Sit ups 4x12
Pull downs 4x8

Thursday:
Dynamic effort bench day week 1
Speed bench 8x3 of 45% 1RM plus chains
Dumbbell extension 4x5 reps
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Cable rows 4x8 reps
Barbell curl 3x10 reps

Friday:
Dynamic effort squat day week 1
Box squat 10x2 with 50% of 1RM
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Side bends 4x12

Monday:
Maximum effort bench week 2
Floor press warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Tricep barbell extensions 4x5 reps
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Lateral raise 4x8 reps
Barbell curls 3x10 reps
Cable Rows 4x8
Tuesday:
Max effort squat week 2
Goodmorning warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Sit ups 4x12
Pull downs 4x8

Thursday:
Dynamic effort bench day week 2
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Cable rows 4x8 reps
Barbell curl 3x10 reps

Friday:
Dynamic effort squat day week 2
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Side bends 4x12

Monday:
Maximum effort bench week 3
Incline Bench warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Tricep barbell extensions 4x5 reps
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Lateral raise 4x8 reps
Barbell curls 3x10 reps
Cable Rows 4x8
Tuesday:
Max effort squat week 3
Deadlift warm up with 3x3 until canít get 3 reps, then 4 singles with 90% of max
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Sit ups 4x12
Pull downs 4x8

Thursday:
Dynamic effort bench day week 3
Cable pushdowns 4x8 reps
Cable rows 4x8 reps
Barbell curl 3x10 reps

Friday:
Dynamic effort squat day week 3
Rack deadlifts 4x8
Side bends 4x12

Tom Mutaffis
04-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Looks pretty good, except I don't see much deadlift work in there - are you just focusing on squat and bench?

JasonLift
04-16-2009, 09:24 AM
The way he typed it out makes it harder to read, but he seems to be getting in deadlift work. Rack pulls on both DE lower body days and one of his ME sessions is deadlifts.

Personally I find doing speed pulls or even deadlifting with bands for singles better on DE day. I save rack pulls for going heavy on ME day.

mike95763
04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
You are doing back/bicep work on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Were I you, I would move your pull downs from Tuesday to Monday and cut out the bicep curls as you really don't need 3 sets of curls twice a week if your goal is just to get stronger. Also on Mondays I would cut out the lateral raises or move them to your DE day and add in face pulls or some sort of rear delt work instead. Also I agree with Jason in that rack pulls are more of an ME day thing. For my DE days I like to work on full range of motion movements focusing on form and speed (in that order).

slashkills
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Why no speed deads? Deadlifts and rows will hit your biceps so direct bicep work is not needed, but if you want to keep the bicep work thats fine. Ive seen others do it and i have too. But if you are going to keep it do it last after shoulder and lat work. I would suggest trying some barbell work for lats also instead of just the machines. Try some things like barbell rows or t-bar rows.

mattdunkin
04-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Is there a reason you are doing singles with only 90% of your 1rm? How big are you as far as how much muscle are you carrying or better yet,how long have you been training? The reason I'm asking this is if you aren't carrying much muscle and haven't been lifting that long, I'd do more hypertrophy work in place of the speed work until you've built a fair amount of mass.I know Donnie Thompson for example,among others have said the same thing.