PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation: CrossFit Football

KingJustin
04-16-2009, 09:17 PM
I watched the CrossFit Football programming for about 3 weeks, and then I decided to start it today.

I think that a lot of the users on this site would benefit from doing the workouts. I'm really impressed by the program

I'm not going to tell the elite powerlifters here what to do, but for the people here that care a little bit about being in shape, and also care about being physically strong all the way through, these workouts are perfect.

They're also perfect for Rugby and Football players.

The programming is basically conjugate training with a twist. There's always heavy work (1-5 reps) every week. (Additionally, the "Pro" lifters also get Dynamic Effort work). Then, for the rep work, you are doing it as a cardio, but it's still heavy. You get both the benefits. And, I have seen a lot of people respond to this training with very significant strength gains. For whatever reason, when your body is deprived of oxygen and you are training with a high "intensity" (defined colloquially), if the weight is at least relatively heavy, you respond really well. I don't know what the reason for it is, but I have seen some significant jumps that have really surprised me (including, after just doing a 30-snatch-for-time workout, my snatch, which I do weekly, just jumped 10kg all of a sudden).

Because this takes a tole on the body, there is more variety in the exercises, so that your body can recover. The benefit of this is that you end up getting strong in a lot of compound movements, instead of just 3.

The people behind the programming are NFL players, along with John Welbourn and Max Mormount.
John is a former lineman for the Kansas City Chiefs and is simply in all-around unbelievable shape.
Max (who works with the whole SoCal crew, i.e. Mike Burgener) can do 15 reps of clean & jerk with 224 pounds without re-gripping, and he's also a top CrossFit competitor. His profile is on the front page (as of now) on http://www.crossfitgames.com

http://www.crossfitfootball.com
If anyone has any questions, let me know. I'm doing "Collegiate" and the daily WOD pretty much as prescribed every day. You can see my times/weights under comments.
(The basic deal is they tell you what to do every day based on your training level. On the right you see the strength workout. Do that, then get warmed up for the metcon if you have one that day. It's the top post on the front page. Be intense.)

TUEFELHUNDEN
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm down. I'm going to start doing this in 2 weeks. It looks like a really cool program and I like how they change things up.

Tom Mutaffis
04-21-2009, 03:21 PM
I like a lot of the crossfit stuff for athletics - a good balance of strength and conditioning. I think that along with the crossfit workout doing a couple of strictly power workouts and a couple of strictly conditioning (sled drag, prowler, sprints, etc.) would make for a great overall regimen.

KingJustin
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Glad to see you're on board Tuefelhunden!

And Tom, I agree, but I think it might take a little time to phase in the extra work. I can follow the main-site WOD and add a good bit of stuff on top of it. CFF is very demanding (maybe not for a Pro Strongman, though!). I think for most people, it would take a few months to get your work capacity up, and then adding some lifting or sled dragging in the morning would be ideal.

TUEFELHUNDEN
04-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I agree also but the WOD along with the power work is very taxing for sure! I just did saturday's WOD scaled down and I was dead. I was almost puking lol. I think it will be a great workout for sure.

Brad08
04-26-2009, 09:55 AM
I was almost puking lol. I think it will be a great workout for sure.

Puking is not really a good indicator of effective programming, particularly when specific sport performance is the goal.

But it sounds like you enjoyed the workout so that's good.