PDA

View Full Version : Its Friday farkers, whats cookin?

WillNoble
04-17-2009, 10:40 AM
What are yall cooking/grillin/BBQ’n this weekend?

For me:

Tonight will most likely be my “Rediculous Burgers” at the house or I may hit up the Plaza with my boss and some friends for several adult beverages and unhealthy food at the 810 Zone

Saturday will be Steak night, may do Tuna Steaks, it really depends on what I see at the Butcher and/or Fish Monger

Sunday will be BBQ day for the NASCAR race and NBA action, going to make a Brisket and some ribs, will also be making some wings to munch on during the race/games/World of Warcraft

borracho
04-17-2009, 10:51 AM
..... likely be my “Rediculous Burgers” at the house .............

Do tell!!

Jorge Sanchez
04-17-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm planning to grill up some steak tomorrow night. My mouth is watering already just thinking about it. I tried some of those burgers with cheese inside that you recommended last weekend and I feel like those are calling my name as well.

CrazyK
04-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Where I live we don't get "summer" until July. :(

Irish Pilot
04-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Grilled Tilapia (w/ parm-romano, oldbay, paprika coating) w/ spinach salad for lunch. Dinner will be grilled cajun shrimp skewers alongside grilled asparagus. God I love my new Weber. Midday snack? Ive got a Choco-Mint Novus bar in the freezer...Im curious to see if they are as good frozen as thin mints are (since they taste like 'em!)

Awesome day.

VikingWarlord
04-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I haven't yet decided. The only stuff I have that's thawed is chicken breast, some with bones and some without. I'll probably poach and shred some and make a white chili with chicken and northern beans.

Jorge Sanchez
04-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Boohoo... I bet it's generally a lot warmer where you live than where I live. Besides, it doesn't need to be summer to fire up the grill.

Irish Pilot
04-17-2009, 12:25 PM

Where the hell do you live? Im in MN and its 70+ today. ;)

Brad08
04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Doing a brisket for Saturday.

hellagrant
04-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Chicken marinated with soy sauce, onions, lemon juice and wine. Can't wait!

Unreal
04-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Maybe some chicken or if I feel skinny a burger. Cutting sucks.

Ben Moore
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
BBQ Pork Chops tonight and then most likely steaks tomorrow night for the fights.

teeroy
04-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Have some chicken marinating to BBQ up tonight. Nothing special, just some store bought terriyaki marinade. The kids like the terriyaki. I'd prefer to do a jerk marinade myself but too spicy for the kids.

Last weekend I cooked my first brisket. I don't have a smoker so I did it on the rotiserrie. It turned out OK but I'm guessing would have been a lot tender if smoked. When I was researching how long to cook it pretty much everything I found said to go to 190 degrees internal temp. I pulled it out at 175 degrees internal temp and I think that was still over cooked. I'm thinking next time I would cook it less on the rotiserrie.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qosjrUd2sIE/Sej8qYdYebI/AAAAAAAAACw/3Z5xSUtqH3s/s800/DSC00978.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qosjrUd2sIE/Sej8rNgOzfI/AAAAAAAAAC4/4Y1PNhhryIs/s800/DSC00979.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qosjrUd2sIE/Sej8sH7h1rI/AAAAAAAAADA/_vKxC9PSaSk/s800/DSC00980.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qosjrUd2sIE/Sej8sS9vjyI/AAAAAAAAADI/NcaAyP3Iyvc/s800/DSC00981.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_qosjrUd2sIE/Sej8tU4EdsI/AAAAAAAAADY/Xl7JQO3YUv8/s800/DSC00983.JPG

samadhi_smiles
04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
we're gonna do bacon cheeseburgers on the grill tomorrow afternoon.

Tonight its:
pound of shrimp in a lime, garlic, olive oil, cilantro sauce. With some sweet taters and some brocoli.

samadhi_smiles
04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

yeah man :(

Bako Lifter
04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Taco Bell and Coors Light.

Irish Pilot
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Get creative bud. My shrimp skewers and asparagus were money...and only a few hundred cals. Clean and damn good!

WillNoble
04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
Taco Bell and Coors Light.

I have had plenty of those nights... Only it was when I was in Boston and I was drinking Narragansett not Coors

Brad08
04-18-2009, 05:55 AM
I pulled it out at 175 degrees internal temp and I think that was still over cooked. I'm thinking next time I would cook it less on the rotiserrie.

How hot is your rotisserie? For a brisket, you want 225 degrees or so and it generally takes 60-75 minutes per pound.

Do you lose a lot of juices when using the rotisserie?

You said you think you overcooked it, but if you pulled it out at 175, it probably didn't cook long enough. And if you undercook a brisket, it will be too tough. You want to hit 185 or so and let that work for awhile to break down the collagen in the meat and get it nice and tender.

WillNoble
04-18-2009, 09:06 AM
How hot is your rotisserie? For a brisket, you want 225 degrees or so and it generally takes 60-75 minutes per pound.

Do you lose a lot of juices when using the rotisserie?

You said you think you overcooked it, but if you pulled it out at 175, it probably didn't cook long enough. And if you undercook a brisket, it will be too tough. You want to hit 185 or so and let that work for awhile to break down the collagen in the meat and get it nice and tender.

This man speaks the truth, a brisket is one of the toughest pieces of meat on a cow, hence why it is smoked for such long periods of time (I myself have cooked some in excess of 20 hrs on a smoker).

With BBQ, internal temp is everything, if you dont cook it long enough, it will be way too tough, too long it dries out, but if you monitor it carefully the results will be delectable.

IMO, I would sell that rotisserie on Craigslist and find yourself a smoker, no good BBQ ever came off an electric rotisserie oven.

teeroy
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I agree, nothing beats a barbeque and I do want to get a smoker. Really, the only thing that is preventing me is time because on the weekends we're rarely home with the kids' sports and other activities and during the week I travel for business. I think once softball is over I'll have more time on the weekends.

The rotiserrie works really well for these Morton's tri tips we get at Costco. It also works really well for fish surprising enough. It has a basket to put the fish in. Normally the meat comes out really moist and after resting the meat is very juicy. The brisket was pretty dry, though. Typically, the bottom of that platter would be covered with juice with a tri tip. I'm thinking the brisket probably isn't the best piece of meat for a rotisserie. Figured I'd try it, though. You never know until you try. Really the only thing I use it for these days is the Morton's tri tip as I've been cooking my fish on the barbeque lately.

I actually have another rotiserrie that is three times the size of that one. They were gifts from the monther in law. She's a QVC addict. I use the big one to cook the turkey in for Thanksgiving. It comes out great because it self bastes and sure is easy.

Detard
04-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Jack Astors and Budweiser last night.

BBQ chicken and roast potatoes with gravy, and budweiser tonight, then go to the bar to watch some sports and have wings and beer

Sunday - birthday celebrations with the family, and a steak dinner with some pabst for dinner.

God I love birthdays

samadhi_smiles
04-18-2009, 12:45 PM
do you actually like budweiser/pabst or drink it just cause its cheap? Its the schwilliest sh1t i've ever tried imo. Much prefer some 420 pale ale or new castle for a little darker.

VikingWarlord
04-18-2009, 01:54 PM
This man speaks the truth, a brisket is one of the toughest pieces of meat on a cow, hence why it is smoked for such long periods of time (I myself have cooked some in excess of 20 hrs on a smoker).

With BBQ, internal temp is everything, if you dont cook it long enough, it will be way too tough, too long it dries out, but if you monitor it carefully the results will be delectable.

IMO, I would sell that rotisserie on Craigslist and find yourself a smoker, no good BBQ ever came off an electric rotisserie oven.

To add to this, no matter what method you use, it has to be left to rest after you pull it so the juices can re-absorb. Cut into it too soon and all that flavor ends up on your cutting board and not your plate, ending in a dry, flavorless mess.

WillNoble
04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
To add to this, no matter what method you use, it has to be left to rest after you pull it so the juices can re-absorb. Cut into it too soon and all that flavor ends up on your cutting board and not your plate, ending in a dry, flavorless mess.

indeed, everything that comes off my smoker, and most things on my grill get foil wrapped for at least 15 min for smaller things, like a steak or upwards of 45 min for a whole brisket.

cant emphasize this technique enough

VikingWarlord
04-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Not Friday, but here's a light lunch.

http://www.tastymojo.com/IndianapolisMojo/photos_pgp/891/PG33022009041817003831891.jpg

Baked chicken tenders crusted with crushed Fritos and a salad.

Detard
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
do you actually like budweiser/pabst or drink it just cause its cheap? Its the schwilliest sh1t i've ever tried imo. Much prefer some 420 pale ale or new castle for a little darker.

Depends what I'm eating. I find it goes well with almost anything. If i'm chosing something more expensive and a little fuller taste, I like Lowenbrau or Svyturys.

I do actually enjoy Budweiser and Pabst though. And they are cheap to boot.

Unreal
04-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Actually I ended up grilling porkribs Saturday, along with chicken breast, onions, portabellos and asparagas.

Sunday was shrimp, tons of it.

I am still down to a new low weight and ate great!