PDA

View Full Version : Almost fell on my butt today doing sumo DL's

teeroy
04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Today I made an on-the-fly decision to incorporate sumo DL's into my warm up sets. Mainly to work out different muscles and I also figure I should at some point do them for a while to see if I like them better than conventional.

My first set was fine. Then I added some weight and did a set conventional. Then added some weight and did a set sumo. Almost fell on my butt this set. I found balance to be difficult with such a wide stance and toes pointing out so much.

I didn't research sumo form beforehand because it was an on-the-fly decision so I clearly need to do some research, but thought I'd post this cuz it was sort of funny and was curious if having trouble with balance in the beginning with sumo's is common.

rctriplefresh5
04-17-2009, 02:32 PM
i have trouble with balance doing bodyweight sumo deadlift( just mimicking the movement) but then once iadd weight t othe bar im ok. i stopped doing them though, as my legs are becoming overtrained from all the squatting and sum odeadlifts. and i feel like im damaging my hips from them. i also have no intention on switching from conventional to sumo.

Lones Green
04-17-2009, 02:43 PM
You will have trouble with balance at the top of a sumo dead, keep working at it

rbtrout
04-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I did at first, but just learning the lift solved that. I pull sumo most of the time now and really like it.
I've heard it rumored that improving one's sumo dead can actually increase one's standard dead by even more. I have yet to test that theory.

teeroy
04-17-2009, 04:22 PM
OK, thanks. I'll keep doing them in my warm ups so that I get used to them.

ACaslow
04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
You don't have to point your toes out soo much if your out of balance.. as the weight gets heavier little by little point them out further and further...

I once threw myself back because of this... I literally bounced on my ass.