PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 months....No weigh gains.

Jweik84
04-20-2009, 07:32 AM
When I first started working out I was 172lb (3 months ago). I started eating healthy and stopped drinking alcohol. I went and bought some weigh gainer which I keep by my side religiously. I drink 3-4 shakes a day. After a while I have learned that I still wasn't getting enough calories in to bulk, so I started eating more. My diet as of lately has consisted of this:

3:00 pm
Two cups of instant oatmeal

4:00 pm 1 protein shake - Iso mass extreme

6:00-6:30pm
1 cup cottage cheese with canned peaches
2 natty PB sandwiches
cup of OJ
cup of Apple juice

9-10pm
half of box of wheat pasta with reduce fat Parmesan cheese (The pasta has 9g of protein per serving, and I eat 3-4 servings at a time. This is so bland that it is extremely hard to down.)

1-2 am Pre WO: Iso mass shake

3-4 am Post WO: Iso mass shake

I am tired of eating the pasta. I need something that I can cook on my off days and eat twice a day, for 4 days.I am able to eat the same thing daily. I am also still having squat problems. I am a bartender and am constantly moving, picking things up, and moving things. My job and my metabolism makes it extremely hard for me to gain weigh. So I have a few questions.

1. What can I make up on my off days, like an actual recipe, which I can eat 2 times a day on my working days, which will help me bulk up. I basically need help with a bulking diet plan

2. My squat problem: No squat racks, only smith machines and I can't switch gyms, so what do I do. I work 4:30pm until at least 3 am, so I have to go to a 24/7 place. I've tried front squatting but I can't get the weigh up anymore by myself to squat it. So I can either use smith machines, do high reps with a weigh I can get up by myself, or uhh Dumbbell squats I guess?

I am getting stronger, and getting cut. Only I don't want to be cutting, I want to put on mass! I have asked for advice before and tried to follow the advice given but nothing is happening and I'm still lost and confused! Sorry for being a pesky noob and for the long post. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Holto
04-20-2009, 10:41 AM
When I first started working out I was 172lb (3 months ago). I started eating healthy and stopped drinking alcohol. I went and bought some weigh gainer which I keep by my side religiously. I drink 3-4 shakes a day. After a while I have learned that I still wasn't getting enough calories in to bulk, so I started eating more. My diet as of lately has consisted of this:

3:00 pm
Two cups of instant oatmeal

Dude. Where's the protein? Where's the fat?

4:00 pm 1 protein shake - Iso mass extreme

Dude. Where's the fiber? Where's the fat?

6:00-6:30pm
1 cup cottage cheese with canned peaches
2 natty PB sandwiches
cup of OJ
cup of Apple juice

Solid.

9-10pm
half of box of wheat pasta with reduce fat Parmesan cheese (The pasta has 9g of protein per serving, and I eat 3-4 servings at a time. This is so bland that it is extremely hard to down.)

Dude. Where's the fiber? Where's the fat?

1-2 am Pre WO: Iso mass shake

3-4 am Post WO: Iso mass shake

Dude. Where's the carbs?

I am tired of eating the pasta. I need something that I can cook on my off days and eat twice a day, for 4 days.I am able to eat the same thing daily. I am also still having squat problems. I am a bartender and am constantly moving, picking things up, and moving things.

You have to just tough it out until your strong enough that your job is of little impact to your recovery.

My job and my metabolism makes it extremely hard for me to gain weigh. So I have a few questions.

1. What can I make up on my off days, like an actual recipe, which I can eat 2 times a day on my working days, which will help me bulk up. I basically need help with a bulking diet plan

2. My squat problem: No squat racks, only smith machines and I can't switch gyms, so what do I do. I work 4:30pm until at least 3 am, so I have to go to a 24/7 place. I've tried front squatting but I can't get the weigh up anymore by myself to squat it. So I can either use smith machines, do high reps with a weigh I can get up by myself, or uhh Dumbbell squats I guess?

Deadlifts, & DB lunges.

I am getting stronger, and getting cut. Only I don't want to be cutting, I want to put on mass! I have asked for advice before and tried to follow the advice given but nothing is happening and I'm still lost and confused! Sorry for being a pesky noob and for the long post. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your diet needs a lot of work but I can tell you your #1 problem is you don't know your totals.

You need to know your daily totals or you have no real control over your weight gain. It really is that simple. If you're not gaining weight on 3500/day, go to 3800/day. Keep incrementing until you're gaining weight at the desired rate.

deeder
04-20-2009, 12:03 PM
If you're not gaining weight, eat more... I thought that was pretty straight forward...

Jweik84
04-20-2009, 01:02 PM
I know I need to eat more. I need help with what to make for the work week to eat. I need something that I can make on my day off that will last for my next 4 work weeks, eating it twice daily.

My shakes are loaded with carbs btw.
Calories 650
Calories from Fat 60
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrate 80 g
Dietary Fiber 6 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 65 g

Basically if anyone has the time, can I get some help with my diet plan. I don't care about taste, price, or anything like that. Just tell me what to buy and I will eat it. Or something that I can prepare and eat 2x a day for 4 days a week. I need to eat 6 meals from 3:00 pm until 4 am.

Unreal
04-20-2009, 01:03 PM
Alternatives to pasta

Rice
Oats
Bread
Potatoes

samadhi_smiles
04-20-2009, 04:58 PM
^ sweet potatoes

and boiled eggs should go in your diet!

Those things I make every day. I steam a few sweet taters and boil up 6 eggs at a time. I eat those together with brocoli for meals in between breakfast and dinner (2-3 meals in between there).

I am constantly eating unless my responsibilities demand my attention (even then I'll squeak in some calories). Thats the only way I could gain as before I was simply not eating enough.

Focused70
04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
too many carbs, not enough protein or fat.

+1 for deads and squats.

eventually you're going to want to move on to a real gym with a squat rack. in the interim, you can start on squats using a medicine ball or kettle bell bar. it's not the same as regular squats but half a glass is better than nothing.

Jweik84
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I've been squatting 150 20x times by pushing it up and then putting it on my back. I can't get much more weigh on so that is why I do high reps.

I wish there was 1 recipe or something that I could use and eat it through out the week. I have 1 day to cook food for my work weeks.

Holto
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I wish there was 1 recipe or something that I could use and eat it through out the week. I have 1 day to cook food for my work weeks.

Pasta and rice dishes are ideal for this.

I just made up a batch of 8 calzones, delicious.

You may want to consider making your own meal replacements. Something in the way of milk+whey+oats+olive oil+peanut butter.

You could make this each day in minutes before work. One more thing to point out, it doesn't matter when you eat. You need to sustain your amino acid pool throughout the day but it doesn't matter when you get your calories beyond that. So you could just gorge after work, after lifting ect.

Hope this helps.

J.C.
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Make a good chilli. Its easy to do and improves with age. Cook a load of beef mince with some onion, garlic and spices. Then you can freeze or refrigerate it and eat it throughout the week with rice, bread, or if you can force yourself, more pasta. I love pasta though. I can't see why you're sick of it. Buy a different type? A prettier shape?

AJ_H
04-21-2009, 11:06 AM
clean that weight and front squat it for reps. Get the flexibility to front squat as low as possible as this will require less weight and get better clean technique (or as good as you can get it) as you will be able to clean up more weight in the first place. I wouldn't bother getting the weight on my back from there as that will require even less weight. Other than that deadlifts, farmers with dumbbells, walking dumbbell lunges, etc.

Ask your gym to get some squat stands as they're nice and cheap. if they don't oblige move on to a real gym or stick with your front squatting for reps and see where you can get. You might look athletic but I doubt you'll get big that way.

BigDanny817
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
tuna corned beef hash milk pick something, there are plenty of things to make u just need to find out what fits u

Jweik84
04-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Make a good chilli. Its easy to do and improves with age. Cook a load of beef mince with some onion, garlic and spices. Then you can freeze or refrigerate it and eat it throughout the week with rice, bread, or if you can force yourself, more pasta. I love pasta though. I can't see why you're sick of it. Buy a different type? A prettier shape?

Because I'm horrible at cooking and don't know what to make with the pasta. I was eating 3-4 servers at a time (huge tub filled with it) of nothing but wheat noodles.

Jweik84
04-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I've been having problems with what I'm supposed to eat and actually eating as I have no appetite. I just went shopping and planned out my diet for the week.

My shakes as of right now since they were out of my ISO mass at the supplement store-

Calories 610
Calories From Fat 53
Total Fat 6g 9%*
Saturated Fat 3g 14%*
Trans Fat 0g **
Cholesterol 97mg 32%*
Total Carbohydrate 87g 29%*
Dietary Fiber 5g 19%*
Sugars 5g **
Protein 52g 104%*
Calcium 316mg 32%
Iron 2mg 11%
Sodium 169mg 7%*
Potassium 503mg 14%

Anyways what does this look like:

3:00 pm two cups Instant oatmeal, 4 boiled eggs, 16oz milk

4:30 pm Protein shake

6-7 pm 1 cup cottage cheese with peaches, 2 natty PB sandwiches made with 4 slices omega 3 whole flax seed wheat bread, cup OJ juice and cup of Apple Juice or milk

9-10 pm two large chicken fajitas with wheat tortillas, 1-2 servings of brown rice/rice aroni -Milk or juice

1-2 am protein shake pre-workout

3-4 am protein shake post-workout

Misc: 1 Pepsi Max Zero or Monster a day, and I'm gonna try to consume a gallon of water a day. I just hate waking up 5 times a night to take a leak.

Supplements: I have fish oil caps, Digestive Enzymes, and Kre Alkaline Kreatine. I've been taking the kreatine when I wake up and before workouts, andthe fish oil caps/digestive enzymes with my 6 pm meal. Is this ok or should I switch it around? Maybe take more then 1 fish caps or enzymes or is 1 ok?

Should I switch any of the meals around, add anything, or drop anything out? I was looking for something I can prepare on my off day that will get me through the next 4 days, which is why I went with fajitas. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Holto
04-21-2009, 03:23 PM
If you can read, you can cook anything.

Are you really ready to commit to this?

Holto
04-21-2009, 03:26 PM
Please Note:*I'm not trying to irritate you*

What are the totals? Honestly it's about all that really matters...

You've put this much thought into it, another few minutes and you'd have totals. Then you'd actually know what you're consuming and be able to adjust up or down.

Jweik84
04-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Just added it up, I hope it's right..

Calories - 4460
Protein - 282g
Carb - 494
Fat - 115.5

Carb to potein ratio seems off! What do you guys think?

joey54
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
This was fine in one thread.

Jweik84
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Sorry, I wanted to make sure I got opinions. I thought everything would think the other thread was done and over with.

dlew
04-21-2009, 05:06 PM
I know I need to eat more. I need help with what to make for the work week to eat. I need something that I can make on my day off that will last for my next 4 work weeks, eating it twice daily.

I'll generally cook up some rice, lean protein (chicken usually but I also eat a lot of tofu), and some veggies and stick 'em in the fridge. In a pinch I'll toss 'em all together, nuke it with some hot sauce and I'm good to go! Not exactly gourmet but it gets the job done.

Jweik84
04-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Still looking for opinions on the second diet plan that I posted.

Holto
04-22-2009, 07:25 AM
Still looking for opinions on the second diet plan that I posted.

It's not bad at all. I would shift some of the cals from carbs to fat. That's about it.

Are you taking fish oil and a good multi?

On Edit:

4400 cals for a 172lb athlete is really good. Hit that every day for a month and I think you''ll be VERY happy.

:)

J.C.
04-22-2009, 09:52 AM
Hello again.

That diet plan looked fine to me. You're getting enough protein and calories. Don't sweat the small stuff. It doesn't have to be like 32.6% this, 17.6% that or anything. Not at this stage. You should really be gaining quite well on that diet. How's your bodyfat?

Deadlift more if you don't have a squat rack.

Oh, and mate - buy a bloody cookbook! Its really not that difficult. Seriously. Learn like three or four decent bulky meals and you'll be set.

If you want more meal suggestion though then I suggest chilli, bolognese, chicken stirfry, beef burgers, and moroccan lamb/chicken, because cous cous is the shizzle.
Go buy onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, a stock powder and a few spices. You will then have the base for hundreds of good meals.

If you want some more ideas then have a browse around this website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/quick-and-easy/index.html
It has an enormous archive you can search too.

Brad08
04-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Pasta + parmesan cheese??

You won't automatically turn into a raging fatass if you throw some good red sauce/meat sauce on your pasta.

You said it's "too dry"....then toss the pasta with a little olive oil and some herbs/cheese. Olive oil tastes good on pasta and provides calories from healthy fats.

KarstenDD
04-22-2009, 01:51 PM
Read my line is Brad's sig. The only advice I have on this matter.

Jweik84
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
It's not bad at all. I would shift some of the cals from carbs to fat. That's about it.

Are you taking fish oil and a good multi?

On Edit:

4400 cals for a 172lb athlete is really good. Hit that every day for a month and I think you''ll be VERY happy.

:)

Fish oil yes. I can't take a multi vitamin right now because I'm on Accutane. Accutane is for acne and it is derived from Vitamin A. If I took a multivitamin I would overdose.

Jweik84
04-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Hello again.

That diet plan looked fine to me. You're getting enough protein and calories. Don't sweat the small stuff. It doesn't have to be like 32.6% this, 17.6% that or anything. Not at this stage. You should really be gaining quite well on that diet. How's your bodyfat?

Deadlift more if you don't have a squat rack.

Oh, and mate - buy a bloody cookbook! Its really not that difficult. Seriously. Learn like three or four decent bulky meals and you'll be set.

If you want more meal suggestion though then I suggest chilli, bolognese, chicken stirfry, beef burgers, and moroccan lamb/chicken, because cous cous is the shizzle.
Go buy onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, a stock powder and a few spices. You will then have the base for hundreds of good meals.

If you want some more ideas then have a browse around this website: http://www.foodnetwork.com/quick-and-easy/index.html
It has an enormous archive you can search too.

My body fat is really low. It has to be under 10 percent. My stomach muscles show as well as the V by my waste. That is why I'm saying I'm under 10 percent. I'll post a picture when I get a chance and see what people think it is. Today I ate really good. The only problem I had was in the Morning. I boiled some eggs up and I really really hate eggs. I just stuck them in my mouth, held my nose, took a drink of milk and chewed. I had a really bad stomach ache after wards too, so I may get rid of them.

Anyways, thanks for all the input guys. Time for bed!