PDA

View Full Version : Bench PR (critiques too please)

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Ok, well two things I realize myself are that I need to tuck my elbows more, and work on the leg drive as well as staying a little tigher around my hips. Keep the leg drive going back, instead of my hips popping up. Any comments, advice, critiques, etc. are more than welcome!!

hlPWeXLezkk

Thanks again! I think if I focus on keeping those elbows in [like I usually do, dunno what happened] and continue working on the leg drive..I'm good for 325+ soon.

Detard
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I think if you keep your feet tucked a little farther back, it will give you more leg drive. With a better setup, I'm sure you'll nail 325. Focus on really keeping your lowerback tight, and staying tight throughout (your legs are flailing until just before you unrack the bar).

Good attempts, and nice PR bro!

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 12:48 PM
I think if you keep your feet tucked a little farther back, it will give you more leg drive. With a better setup, I'm sure you'll nail 325. Focus on really keeping your lowerback tight, and staying tight throughout (your legs are flailing until just before you unrack the bar).

Good attempts, and nice PR bro!

Thats perfect, just the kind of advice I need man..thank you!

I wasn't sure if feds (USAPL, etc..) allow you to keep your feet underneath you so I didn't wanna form any bad habits.

Speedy Gonzalez
04-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah bro your footing is a big part, on the first one you set your feet unracked the weight then reset your feet again while holding the weight locked out. Figure out where you get the best leg drive, whether it be out flat or tucked underneath and keep them there. Relax and concentrate, I may be wrong but you seemed nervous and fidgety the way you were second guessing your footing in mid lift. The first lift you moved your feet before the lift(NO GO), the second one you raised you left foot before the press(NO GO), and third lift you left your feet planted through out the whole lift (GO).:thumbup:

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah bro your footing is a big part, on the first one you set your feet unracked the weight then reset your feet again while holding the weight locked out. Figure out where you get the best leg drive, whether it be out flat or tucked underneath and keep them there. Relax and concentrate, I may be wrong but you seemed nervous and fidgety the way you were second guessing your footing in mid lift. The first lift you moved your feet before the lift(NO GO), the second one you raised you left foot before the press(NO GO), and third lift you left your feet planted through out the whole lift (GO).:thumbup:

Thanks a lot man....I'll work on the foot placement and find whats best for me this Thursday with the speed work. Will be a good test where I'm able to stay tight even with lighter weight. I really don't know why my feet dance around all over the place, I'm not consciously doing it but I guess I'm just not comfortable enough yet. Gonna keep at it though, nice job with your lifts lately too man, that 405 went up real easy!

CleverName
04-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Your body was all over the place when pressing, get set up in position/tight and stay in position the whole way through, this includes your feet!

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Your body was all over the place when pressing, get set up in position/tight and stay in position the whole way through, this includes your feet!

Yeah, this seems to be the general consensus :smoke:

Painzer
04-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Man, you're sooo close! Keep those elbows tucked, and I agree with Detard. When you first set up, your feet are underneath you nicely, then you move them back out. Keep 'em under there. You'll be at 350 before you know it!

Speedy Gonzalez
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks a lot man....I'll work on the foot placement and find whats best for me this Thursday with the speed work. Will be a good test where I'm able to stay tight even with lighter weight. I really don't know why my feet dance around all over the place, I'm not consciously doing it but I guess I'm just not comfortable enough yet. Gonna keep at it though, nice job with your lifts lately too man, that 405 went up real easy!
Thanks bro I look forward to seeing your 325+ video with all the kinks worked out- Speedy

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Man, you're sooo close! Keep those elbows tucked, and I agree with Detard. When you first set up, your feet are underneath you nicely, then you move them back out. Keep 'em under there. You'll be at 350 before you know it!

Thanks so much man, it is frustrating too cause I have strong triceps (relatively) so I really have no idea why I didn't tuck like usual...but I'm learning that there's always something wrong with form for now. Just gotta keep at it and make things second nature, so I don't even have to think about form and can just bang out clean lifts.

Thanks bro I look forward to seeing your 325+ video with all the kinks worked out- Speedy

I appreciate all the help man, flat bench should be back in about 3 weeks to my ME day, I'll be sure to get some videos for everyone!! I might also throw some deadlift videos up, my DL form is atrocious :( Only pulling around 430 lol

Travis Bell
04-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Thats perfect, just the kind of advice I need man..thank you!

I wasn't sure if feds (USAPL, etc..) allow you to keep your feet underneath you so I didn't wanna form any bad habits.

in the USAPL, you have to keep your feet flat, so if you move them back, make sure they stay flat

However, I don't think you need to move them all that much back. Maybe an inch.

When you drive with your leg, think press with your heels, not your toes.

Keep those elbows tucked and pinch those shoulder blades together even tighter.

Good PR though!

Bring your grip in one finger too, just for the time being until you learn to tuck better and see if that helps

DGabe24
04-20-2009, 04:46 PM
in the USAPL, you have to keep your feet flat, so if you move them back, make sure they stay flat

However, I don't think you need to move them all that much back. Maybe an inch.

When you drive with your leg, think press with your heels, not your toes.

Keep those elbows tucked and pinch those shoulder blades together even tighter.

Good PR though!

Bring your grip in one finger too, just for the time being until you learn to tuck better and see if that helps

I'm not sure if I bring my feet in more that I'll be able to keep my heels flat.

I agree though, the first 325 was index-ring (comp grip) and I brought it in to middle-finger ring and it felt better. I may stay with middle finger on the ring for a while.

Thanks for stoppin by man, I'm really looking forward to working out the kinks and hitting some big numbers this year!