PDA

View Full Version : What Squat Routine Worked For You?

BloodyDeadliftr
04-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Each routine is different from one person to another. Just finished my first meet and am going to compete again later in the year. Paged through my workout journals from the past few months and have tried to compile a new routine that can boost my squat...and don't really have anything that stuck out that really worked for me...

So I'm here to see what workouts and assistance exercises that you guys have put together in the past that have worked for you and pick some to try out and see if that works for me...

Been doing some research online and didn't really find anything that was worth following..I have a bench and a deadlift routine thanks to the sticky threads on here but I don't really have a squat routine....thanks for your help guys!

Xellarz
04-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Well...if you wanna prioritize squat (since you couldn't really follow your bench & deadlift routines...you'd have to put them on maintinence) - I'd highly suggest the Smolov.

Other than that, I'd just say find your weak-point and choose some exercises to strengthen it!

mike95763
04-20-2009, 07:39 PM
To improve my squat I squatted heavy once a week. As heavy as possible including high box squats (~1-3 inches above parallel), reverse band squats with green bands, anything to get my CNS used to heavy weights. I guess it was a westside approach and it worked very very well for me.

Hazerboy
04-20-2009, 07:47 PM
What is your best squat? what weight are you? What have you tried in the past?

Beefcaker
04-20-2009, 08:19 PM
You haven't really provided much information. But I'd suggest the WSBB template

Guido
04-20-2009, 09:52 PM
If you are talking about increasing your raw squat, the Wendler 5-3-1 works great. If you are talking about suited squat you are probably better off with a Westside template.

MarcusWild
04-20-2009, 11:33 PM
Are you constantly changing training programs? Training program ADD is one of the worst things you can do. It means you don't believe in any of the programs you are trying. I'm a huge fan of the Westside methods even for raw lifters. I'll admit I was skeptical about how it works for raw lifters. I train with 3 raw lifters now, and it's working for them.

BloodyDeadliftr
04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
I recently had my first competition at york barbell this past weekend. It was through the IPA and I was in the Ameture Raw Junior 220lb class. I was having trouble in the past hitting depth because I'm not that flexible..and my final squat was for 445..and I weighed in at 212...my total for the day was 1300 and I won my weight class, best raw lifter, and set 2 IPA Records...Squat and Total..

Basically I want to do a different squat routine..something that has me follow a certain rep scheme, % of weight increases and so on for awhile..i'm talking a few months..I plan on competing again in December at the Christmas Carnage..I plan on staying a raw lifter for that competition as well..

rbtrout
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Have you looked at the EFS basic training manual? Good read and several routines towards the back. If that's the Westside method, please excuse my ignorance, but the 4 day ME/DE has been working well for me.

LINK_313
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
sMOLOV

Sensei
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I've made gains off of many programs (5x5 variants, Smolov variants, WS, etc.) over the years. I'll also made pretty good gains just having a heavy day and a light day.

Some thoughts from Fred Hatfield:

"Look, 'routines' are just that! I have written much on the subject. I have probably given the subject more careful thought than most. Here is yet another thought that I should've written at some time... maybe I did... can't remember.

In order to achieve ANYTHING in life to the pinnacle of your capabilities, you must 'marry' the thing! Become a 'priest' to it. Live, eat, sleep and breathe it! You MUST NOT succumb to whoredom and meander from one routine to another in the false hope that one of them is gonna 'work'. It will not! You may get a quick fix from it, but it'll only be because you re-injected some adaptive stress into your routine.

Do this instead. THINK IT OUT!

Now, most lifters cannot do this because they are not educated in the discipline, and because they have never been taught to REALLY think things through! So, the alternative is to find yourself a bonafide guru who HAS, and hang your hat on what that person has to say! So, find one! ONE!"

Guido
04-21-2009, 01:21 PM
^That there is some good advice.