PDA

View Full Version : Getting fat to gain size

littlemansyndro
04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Im 6'1" and 220lbs i ve been making big bench gains and added 1"3/4 to my arms and gained 20lbs in less than 4 months but my boss who is my height 200lbs pretty ripped is saying im going about my weight gain all wrong by gain so much fat at the same time. Im eatting about 4000 cals here is my break down tell me what you think

6am water mixed whey shake flax seed oil and papaya enzymes
7am wheat beagal w/ cream cheese
10am 1000 cal iso mass weight gainer and papaya enzymes
1pm 2 pp&j's on wheat both natural peanut butter and jelly
4pm granolla bar 100 cals
7pm water mixed whey and no furry (pre work out)
8:20 milk mixed whey/dehydrated milk mix w/ 2 tsp sugar
9:45 big dinner normally chicken and mashed pots
11pm milk mixed dehydrated milk flax seed oil and papaya enzymes
and some times a spinach and broccoli salad in between a meal

I work out heavy 4 sets 4 workouts per day and 10 to 8 reps
i dont do any cardo yet im waiting till my cutting phase
day1 chest
day2 bi's
day3 tri's
day4 back
day5 shoulders delts
day6 off can t do leggs till i get my knee fixed
then i start all over

bill
04-21-2009, 08:57 AM
What are your goals? Are you gaining a lot of fat? If your putting on too much fat and are new to bulking and cutting then I would slow down on the wt increase. Just for the fact that you haven't had to cut before. It's not always easy to to get the fat off and sometimes you lose all the muscle and are back at square one.
I would do some cardio

MadScientist
04-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Keep pushing,
as you gain weight, gradually add even more cals to compensate for your maintenance increasing.

Never sail directly into the wind.

Bulk - 1-6 months - no cardio
Normalize (eat very slightly above maintenance - 1-2 months - 1/2 hr cardio 2x per week at most
Cut - Eat very slightly below maintenance, do 40mins light cardio @55-65% MHR 3-4 times per week.

I bulk to around 24% BF
Normalize
Then cut to 12% BF

Zig Zag to glory,
never sail directly into the wind.

edit - also, try 2 days on 1 day off. 6th day off is not enough rest.

littlemansyndro
04-21-2009, 11:42 AM
My goal is to be symmetrical my arms are still 2 inches away from my calfs and 1 3/4 from my neck (bad genetics). I m 27 and have been weight lifting on and of since i was 14 so im not realy a stranger to cutting weight gaining has always been my biggest problem. I haven t got realy fat i ve jus went from a size 34 to 36 waist. I jus figured that I would gain muscle faster if I have an abundance of cals insteed of making small gains over 3 years.

samadhi_smiles
04-21-2009, 11:43 AM
It just depends on what you're comfortable with. You can gain muscle mass without gaining a whole lot of fat, but it happens at a slower rate than if you overfeed way over your maintenance and accumulate fat with your LBM gain.

Some fat gain is almost inevitable unless you are extremely aware of your body's maintenance level.

littlemansyndro
04-21-2009, 06:10 PM
So for bulking I'm gonna want to do 2 days on 1 day rest?

jAy_Dub
04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Gaining fat for a few pounds of muscle is not worth it at all imo. I've been there done that and I really regret it. Sure I was strong, but I looked like ****, I now have permanent stretch marks all over my chest and lats, and it took me forever to cut off all the fat. Slow and steady is the way to go.

Of course this is just my opinion.

bill
04-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Keep pushing,
as you gain weight, gradually add even more cals to compensate for your maintenance increasing.

Never sail directly into the wind.

Bulk - 1-6 months - no cardio
Normalize (eat very slightly above maintenance - 1-2 months - 1/2 hr cardio 2x per week at most
Cut - Eat very slightly below maintenance, do 40mins light cardio @55-65% MHR 3-4 times per week.

I bulk to around 24% BF
Normalize
Then cut to 12% BF

Zig Zag to glory,
never sail directly into the wind.

edit - also, try 2 days on 1 day off. 6th day off is not enough rest.

24% seems pretty high, wouldn't you be putting on more fat than muscle at that point? How long does it take for you to cut back to 12%?

Tom Mutaffis
04-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Littlemansyndro -

If you are getting stronger and making gains in your arms / other extremities but not gaining a lot in your waist - then it sounds like your "bulk" is going well. I would try to keep your weight gain around 1 lbs per week, this way the majority of that can be lean mass and you are not just packing on a ton of fat. In order to optimize muscle and strength gains you will have to have some fat gain, but like others suggested gaining slower will keep things from getting out of control - since you can reach a point where you are gaining more fat than muscle and it becomes detrimental to your physique.

I like MadScientist's program layout, although the durations may not fit with everyone's goals. You might want to do a 3 month "bulk" with a goal of gaining 10 lbs and then do a two month "cut" with the goal of maintaining bodyweight while improving body composition (carb cycling, clean diet, anabolic diet, etc.). This "cut" phase can even be achieved simply by adding in cardio a couple of times per week.

The way that you are eating right now does seem pretty clean so really I would not worry about things - your program right now would be considered more of a "maintenance" or "balance" program.

Training should definitely be adjusted to something like 3 days on, 1 day off for bodybuilding training.

samadhi_smiles
04-23-2009, 11:10 AM
^ hey Tom what do you think about mixing up days of cutting/bulking within the same week?

given'er
04-23-2009, 12:17 PM
^ hey Tom what do you think about mixing up days of cutting/bulking within the same week?

Ever seen a dog chase its tail?

littlemansyndro
04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
What should my rep range be at for bulking? I take 3 min rest between sets whats optimum for bulking/normalizing/cutting?

BrentS
04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
It doesn't look like you're eating very much protein. Have you logged your macros for a day?

littlemansyndro
04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Well today im at 4910 cals 110 fat 535 carb and 364 protein

littlemansyndro
05-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Are they good stats for putting on weight Im 6'1" 220lbs and I m pretty active

MadScientist
05-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Yeah, they are good. Run it for 2 months and every 5 lbs you put on, add another 200 cals.

When you dont fit any of your pants, normalize for 1 mo minimum to lock in those gains, then cut it up.

Rinse, repeat.

edit - keep it in the 5-12 rep range, vary it some