PDA

View Full Version : Need to cut 4 lbs for meet this Sat

jmccown
04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I am trying to make weight for the 242 class at a meet this Saturday. I need to drop 4 lbs to safely weigh in at 241. Wondering what would be the best way to go about cutting this little bit of weight without affecting my strength too much. I know all I can do in this short of a time frame is shed water weight. So would a sauna suit and some HIT cardio be my best solution. Of course I am eating right this week and staying away from soda. I didn't think I was over my weight limit till last week. My weight usually fluctuates around 235-238. Looking for some quick solutions.

Dave Schwab
04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
When is your weigh-in? 4 pounds should be easy with just modifying your water intake, but you'll need to get started today if your weigh-in is Friday. I'd really try to avoid any cardio or sauna suit, both are tough on your body.

vdizenzo
04-21-2009, 09:25 AM
I would not do any HIT cardio. Just start cutting your carb intake some. Start drinking extra water now and then cut it down to half on Friday. Put on the sauna suit and sweat a little on Friday also, Nothing before weigh ins on Saturday. Are you weighing in the day of the meet?

jmccown
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
yes, weigh in will be the day of the meet from 8 to 10 am I have been chugging water for the last 2 days, dropped 1 lb already, yesterday I needed 5 lbs. Still have 4 to go. I plan on weighing in early as I can and then going back out for some good eats before lifting starts.

vdizenzo
04-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Get a good amount of sodium in today. Keep the water intake high. Thursday cut fluids in half. Weigh yourself first thing Friday and see where you are. Depending where you are I'm hoping you'll be able to eat and drink some. You don't have much to lose. If you dehydrate hard you will surely lose more than the 4 you need and that will be bad.

Andre518
04-21-2009, 12:44 PM
when you weigh in how do they do it do you weigh in with your singlet, underwear, or nude. I was just wondering I never did a weigh in before.

SELK
04-21-2009, 01:54 PM
wear whatever you want, nude is fine.

vdizenzo
04-21-2009, 01:58 PM
when you weigh in how do they do it do you weigh in with your singlet, underwear, or nude. I was just wondering I never did a weigh in before.

I go nude just for the intimidation factor.

Hazerboy
04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
4 lbs is nothing man. I would cut 4 lbs of water weight before every wrestling match in high school (in the 152, 160, and 171 weight classes). last saturday i cut 5 lbs at a meet at 198 and it was no problem. still made lots of prs. just make sure that you are taking in a TON of water the day of the meet. that should be your priority over food. At your body weight 4 lbs in water is almost nothing, you'll be really surprised at what you can sweat out.

Andre518
04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
wear whatever you want, nude is fine.

Thanks I wasn't sure if there was a specific way you had to weigh in.

I go nude just for the intimidation factor.

LOL..That's awesome.

deeder
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Two questions... Why do you want to be a pound under? You should weigh as close to 242 as possible if you're cutting any weight.

Second, what's your weight first thing in the morning? If you haven't checked that so far.. That's step one. You might be ok to just do everything normal and weigh in before having breakfast or anything to drink.

Brian C
04-21-2009, 02:23 PM
In the past,the night before the weigh in, I would turn the hot water on in the hotel bathroom and sit in there for a half hour, then lay on the bed and nap for a half hour. I'd repeat until I lost the weight(up to 7 lbs) then go to bed until thelatest I could before weigh ins. I never felt too bad afterwards and would replenish with pedialite.

Rob Luyando
04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
4 lbs......... LOL! Thats a good ****! Serious dude all you need to do is cut out your sodium for a day or two and then either the night before or morning of weigh in sit in sauna room. If your staying at a hotel its easy to turn your bathroom into a sauna.

deeder
04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
4 lbs......... LOL! Thats a good ****! Serious dude all you need to do is cut out your sodium for a day or two and then either the night before or morning of weigh in sit in sauna room. If your staying at a hotel its easy to turn your bathroom into a sauna.

I wouldn't even bother with the sauna for 4lbs... Water-load up until the day before. On the day before weigh-in, no sodium and don't drink anything after supper. Other than that, I wouldn't do anything different.

jbeauregard
04-21-2009, 05:01 PM
I have done a 18lb cut in lieu of how I heard Rob Luyando did it, as well as, a 23lb cut the way that Kroc has talked about. Both ways I have been fine, but I have also weighed in 24hrs in advance. Listen to Dizenzo and Luyando. I have heard of Rob cutting HUGE amounts of weight and I am going to be the last one to doubt his methods.

vdizenzo
04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
You have gotten lots of advice. Pick one method and go with it. 4lbs really is nothing

jmccown
04-21-2009, 07:45 PM
good stuff in here guys. I really appreciate all the tips. I don't think I'll have a problem, just never had to worry about my weight. I'd rather be as heavy as I can in my class, as opposed to the lightest in the next class up. I've been taking in at least 1-1.5 gallons of water a day. Still taking in my protein meats as usual. The reason I want to be a pound less at 241 is just to be on the safe side, their scales might read different than mine. Yeah, they don't care if you weigh in your underwear, nude, whatever.

chris mason
04-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Like the rest said, a little time in a sauna will do the trick along with a reduction in sodium the day before.

Ben Moore
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
Magnesium Citrate the day before - you'll drop 4 easy

deeder
04-22-2009, 12:36 AM
good stuff in here guys. I really appreciate all the tips. I don't think I'll have a problem, just never had to worry about my weight. I'd rather be as heavy as I can in my class, as opposed to the lightest in the next class up. I've been taking in at least 1-1.5 gallons of water a day. Still taking in my protein meats as usual. The reason I want to be a pound less at 241 is just to be on the safe side, their scales might read different than mine. Yeah, they don't care if you weigh in your underwear, nude, whatever.

Any way you can get on their scale the night before? That's usually what I try to do...

jmccown
04-22-2009, 06:28 AM
no I have to drive over 2 hours to the place, I don't think they set up till the morning of...

jmccown
04-23-2009, 06:17 AM
little update - I am now within a half pound of making weight with 2 days to go. I have basically just upped my water intake significantly from what I was drinking. I haven't done any cardio at all. I have a desk job where I sit on my butt all day then go to the gym in the evening. I think by in the morning I'll be another pound less. Thanks for all the tips guys.