PDA

View Full Version : Williams Strength vs Legend Fitness

JK1
04-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Does anyone have any experience with doing business with Legend Fitness out of Tennessee? Pros/cons of their equipment? How does it compare to what Williams Strength produces?

I'm specifically looking at "dumbell" benches, power racks, and lat pulldowns if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Lones Green
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Their stuff is all very weirdly built

The power racks are like 12 feet tall no joke, with band pegs on the top of it to do reverse band squats. You'd have to use a light band, because a mini or a MM would come close to snapping. The amount of weight you'd be using over your max squat would be like 200-300 pounds, there is no real benefit to it

The racks are pretty narrow as well. The stuff looks like its built well, but there is just no thought into it. It looks like they went to EFS or WSBB's sites and saw some of the stuff they have and tried to implement it in there own creations... without knowing exactly what any of it does.

I know they have big deals with commercial gym chains like 24 hour fitness and stuff

chris mason
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM

The power racks are like 12 feet tall no joke, with band pegs on the top of it to do reverse band squats. You'd have to use a light band, because a mini or a MM would come close to snapping. The amount of weight you'd be using over your max squat would be like 200-300 pounds, there is no real benefit to it

The racks are pretty narrow as well. The stuff looks like its built well, but there is just no thought into it. It looks like they went to EFS or WSBB's sites and saw some of the stuff they have and tried to implement it in there own creations... without knowing exactly what any of it does.

I know they have big deals with commercial gym chains like 24 hour fitness and stuff

Lones, which company are you referring to?

Lones Green
04-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Lones, which company are you referring to?

Legend, sorry for not being clear

EDIT: I've been on a couple of their racks (neither of which were the westside model) and they were both VERY tall.

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Lou actually sells a ton of Legend stuff. Maybe you were in an older model? I don't know, but I've got one of the racks that Lou sells and that thing is bullet proof, plenty wide and not really tall either. Fit right in my garage

To the OP, we have one of the lat pulldowns as well and they are super nice. Highly recommend them

Lones Green
04-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Lou actually sells a ton of Legend stuff. Maybe you were in an older model? I don't know, but I've got one of the racks that Lou sells and that thing is bullet proof, plenty wide and not really tall either. Fit right in my garage

To the OP, we have one of the lat pulldowns as well and they are super nice. Highly recommend them

Yeah, there stuff is built very well. I know there's the westside model that allows for a wider stance and has band pegs.

The two I've seen are brand new. They are super tall, its overkill. I'm not going to sift through the power racks on there site, but just look for the huge one. It has a chin bar I have no idea how you get to, LOL

We had a legend bench for awhile at my gym but they never had it out, it always had an "out of order" sign on it. It had band pegs and looked pretty well built.

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Ah turns out Lones is right! Here (http://www.legendfitness.com/equipment.php?id=111) is the rack I suspect he's talking about. It's over 7ft tall LOL. Little over kill I believe.

If you do go with a rack from Legend, get the Westside rack. It also has the smaller increments for the pins and will be a little easier to move around IMO. You can still get the chin up bar and such.

I have a flat bench that goes with mine. Great bench and I'm thinking it's very close to comp specs, although I'm not totally sure.

JK1
04-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Ah turns out Lones is right! Here (http://www.legendfitness.com/equipment.php?id=111) is the rack I suspect he's talking about. It's over 7ft tall LOL. Little over kill I believe.

If you do go with a rack from Legend, get the Westside rack. It also has the smaller increments for the pins and will be a little easier to move around IMO. You can still get the chin up bar and such.

I have a flat bench that goes with mine. Great bench and I'm thinking it's very close to comp specs, although I'm not totally sure.

The Louie Simmons/Westside line is actually the rack I was looking at. I've already got a 2x2 rack. I need to get one A. and I can pull sumo in and with her bench, I like the closer hole spacing. I was originally looking at Elitefts's 2x2 rack-- I think the one Williams makes---I found this one oneline. I don't have much experience with Legends equipment other than the couple of goofy racks like Lones mentioned. I think the one in the commercial gym I squat in is a Legend 3x3. Its way too tall for the ceiling I have space for and the catch pin setup is different.

You like the bench? I'm sick and tired of the narrow pieces of junk we've got at Golds and I'm going out of my way to make sure the bench we have with this new rack is one that meets competition specs--ie ~17.5 inches high with a 12 inch nonslip pad.

The plate loaded lat pull down/low row also caught my eye. You like it too?

Becuase of the Westside line, I have talked with them about a package deal with the rack, a reverse hyper pro and a lat pulldown. I'm just looking for opinions from those with experience with the equipment.

Thank you.

JK1
04-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah, considering I'm 5 foot something short, a rack over 7 feet is ridiculous. I was specifically looking at Legend's Louie Simmons/westside barbell line. We have to have one we can pull/squat with a wider stance in.

I've never been to a 24 hour fitness. I'm not sure if thats good or bad.

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 12:47 PM
You like the bench? I'm sick and tired of the narrow pieces of junk we've got at Golds and I'm going out of my way to make sure the bench we have with this new rack is one that meets competition specs--ie ~17.5 inches high with a 12 inch nonslip pad.

Yeah the bench is good. Plenty wide enough to maintain good balance and it's not kidding when it says non slip either LOL. You'll be glued to that bench

The plate loaded lat pull down/low row also caught my eye. You like it too?

We have the pin select lat pulldown and the pin select seated row at Westside. I very much like both.

Plate load ones would be just as good, just a little more work

=Travis=
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Aren't most racks about 7 feet? I'm sure mine is. I don't see what's so weird about a 7 foot rack. 12 foot is weird, but 7 seems standard

KarstenDD
04-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I was originally looking at Elitefts's 2x2 rack-- I think the one Williams makes---I found this one oneline.

Williams does make a bunch of equipment for Elite. You WON'T go wrong with one of theirs. I don't know much of anything about Legend. But I'm sure that if Louie gets stuff made by them, especially the Reverse Hypers, they must be doing something right.

View 1
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Not to high jack the thread but this caught my eye. Never seen this before, its like a super strict BB row, almost a super strict pendlay row really.

http://www.legendfitness.com/equipment.php?id=218

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Aren't most racks about 7 feet? I'm sure mine is. I don't see what's so weird about a 7 foot rack. 12 foot is weird, but 7 seems standard

These were almost 7 1/2 feet. 88in I think, but your're right most are about 7ft

The extra 6in may not make a big difference at all

*edit, I checked and Lou's rack is 87in tall so it's a 1in difference. Nothing at all to worry about

KarstenDD
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
When it really gets down to it, I would be much more worried about the width at the base than the height. Of course a rack that is over 9000 feet tall could be a little troublesome.

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 01:59 PM
the Westside is 68in wide

The rest of the legend line is 64in wide

I couldn't find the width of the Williams line, but I'm sure it's around 68"

KarstenDD
04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Well a 3x3 from Elite is 61" wide, 59" from the inside of the posts. But they also have the raised base so it isn't much of a concern.

Lones Green
04-22-2009, 04:20 PM
http://www.legendfitness.com/equipment.php?id=125

Thats actually the one I was talking about. Looks like it comes in 8 and 9 foot models and weighs over 1000 pounds. Now THAT is overkill. One of the ones I've seen had to have been the 9 foot model.

It doesn't have the wide base either. Like you said, the westside model would be the way to go.

JK1
04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
the Westside is 68in wide

The rest of the legend line is 64in wide

I couldn't find the width of the Williams line, but I'm sure it's around 68"

Travis, are you talking front to back (ie including the plate holders) or side to side (ie between the J-hooks area where the bar goes?). I'm thinking you are talking what I'd call front to back because a standard bar (even a texas squat bar or even a mastadon bar) wouldn't fit in that rack. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

That rack is a 2"x2" frame rack correct? or is it 3x3?

Thanks

Travis Bell
04-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Travis, are you talking front to back (ie including the plate holders) or side to side (ie between the J-hooks area where the bar goes?). I'm thinking you are talking what I'd call front to back because a standard bar (even a texas squat bar or even a mastadon bar) wouldn't fit in that rack. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you wrote.

That rack is a 2"x2" frame rack correct? or is it 3x3?

Thanks

The Westside rack is 3x3

Front to back is the 68"

From side to side it's 47" I think? Check the website to be sure.

coachinitup
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I have been real happy with Legend Fitness. I know they make the Westside line, including the reverse hyper. If Louie likes 'em, I am satisfied. You can see his full line at the Legend Fitness site. They seem to be able to build the rack any size you desire both height and width. Of course you are limited on the width by the olympic bar, thus most racks are within an inch or two width wise.

Not to discount Williams, I hear they do good work-

JK1
06-04-2009, 10:18 PM
I have been real happy with Legend Fitness. I know they make the Westside line, including the reverse hyper. If Louie likes 'em, I am satisfied. You can see his full line at the Legend Fitness site. They seem to be able to build the rack any size you desire both height and width. Of course you are limited on the width by the olympic bar, thus most racks are within an inch or two width wise.

Not to discount Williams, I hear they do good work-

I had the opportunity to see some Legend equipment after I made this thread. It looked to be of very good quality and heavy.

What we actually ended up doing is building the room (basically ~40 x15) around the equipment instead of getting equipment to fit the room. The room I had first planned on was simply too small. It just didnt work with what I wanted to put in it and I don't like to be cramped. I have a 2x2 rack, 45 degree back extension, and a bench on order from Elitefts. I also have a monolift and Reverse Hyper PRO on order right now. I'm not sure about the deadlift platform, I'll probably build it, however I do have a jump-stretch sumo platform. I already have a GHR and a plate loaded high/low pulley I am working with a welder and my brother to see if we can build a platform inside of my old 2x2 rack to make a removeable platform and pulleys to convert it to a belt squat rack. I should have the walls done in about 2 weeks, the equipment in and moved in about 4 give or take a couple of weeks depending on work.

SO, if you are lifter in or around Auburn, Tuskeegee, or Montgomery Alabama, drop me a line. We are going to be looking for more lifters by August.