PDA

View Full Version : Goat Meat

Mercuryblade
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
I just read an article in Men's Journal about how goat meat consumption is rising in the U.S., partially because of increased demand due to immigrant populations, and also because of sustainability- goat's eat grasses/plants that cows won't.

Anyone else here eat/tried goat meat?

I think it's pretty tasty, somewhere in between steak and lamb.

Focused70
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Tends to be lean and stringy. And then there's the taste which most people can't seem to get their heads around.

If you like lamb, goat isn't much of a stretch.

Progress
04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Not going.

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I've only ever eaten a shank but couldn't get into it. The flavor was good (a lot like pork) but the texture was strange and it was greasy as all hell.

WillNoble
04-22-2009, 12:59 PM
something like 90+% of all pepperoni in this country is goat, if you order a pepperoni pizza from almost all major chains, you are eating goat

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
something like 90+% of all pepperoni in this country is goat, if you order a pepperoni pizza from almost all major chains, you are eating goat

Where'd you get that from? I have no idea what's actually in pepperoni. That would explain the greasiness factor I noticed when eating actual goat...

WillNoble
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Where'd you get that from? I have no idea what's actually in pepperoni. That would explain the greasiness factor I noticed when eating actual goat...

It was on Good Eats with Alton Brown (it was over 90% but I cant remember the precise percentage), Im sure I could find it if I searched enough, but Im sitting in my office eating a free steak lunch, and my apathy has reached new highs

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Wow. I'm a huge fan of that show but never saw that one. I guess I always figured it was beef or pork.

AKMass
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM

I like goat meat.

=Travis=
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Good Eats is a great show. I have seen every episode at least once.

I've eaten goat at a middle eastern buffet place before and it was good. It was all covered in a sauce and who knows what all, but I ate the hell out of it.

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Good Eats is a great show. I have seen every episode at least once.

I have like 6 of them on my DVR for reference.

=Travis=
04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I have like 6 of them on my DVR for reference.

LOL - when I first got a DVR, I set up a timer to tape all of them. Then it got to the point where I'd get tired of watching them over and over again. I have a few that I have kept for reference.

My wife bought me Alton Brown's books for Xmas or something. They're expensive but good.

KarstenDD
04-22-2009, 01:41 PM
Alton Brown is full of ****. He called a dinner knife a "butter knife." THEY'RE DIFFERENT UTENSILS DAMN IT!

As for pepperoni, it's a sausage-esque product. You aren't supposed to know what's in it. And you'll probably be happier that way.