PDA

View Full Version : How does drinking affect my muscle gain (mainly the six pack)?

Drake24
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
In short, before you read all of this, I basically want to know how much drinking and partying affects my goals for getting a six pack and the body I want.

I'm a freshman in college. I'm also 6'3" and weigh 194. I'm on the football team and after the season put on 10 pounds through lifting weights and such (which got me to the 194 and that weight goes anywhere from 192 to 197 every week). Because of the football team, I have been required all semester to lift three days a week and condition with the team two days a week (so I at least get some cardio). I do some of my own ab and arm workouts and I try to eat healthy (stay away from white flour, less carbs, a lot of protein, only drink water and some orange juice in the morning and then whatever I drink at parties). A good diet like that is hard to follow with the food my college serves (no excuse I know) so I haven't been following it as strictly as I'd like. I figure there are some threads or articles about a good diet for getting a six pack on here, if anyone could point me in the direction of some that would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest question is this: I tend to go to parties and stuff one to two times a week (usually Friday and Saturday night but sometimes I get away with just one night) and drink. I've cut down the amount of my drinking from last semester because I figured it was more than likely negatively affecting my muscle gain goals. But I'd like to not stop completely if I could help it. Based on the background I told you up above (don't have a six pack yet but you can start to see where it's coming in and you can for sure feel it) how much do you think my drinking habits are affecting my goals I've set for myself in the gym?

=Travis=
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
Drink whiskey, less calories than beer. Unless you're bulking, then drink Purple Passion and Boones wine.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
You can either try to be the best football player you can be or you can work on your six pack. If you choose to work on the six pack you need to lose body fat, but at 6'3 194 trying to lose weight would be foolish.

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Drink whiskey, less calories than beer. Unless you're bulking, then drink Purple Passion and Boones wine.

Boones Farm will add at least 137lbs. to your total, PBR on the other hand at least 200

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:06 PM
You can either try to be the best football player you can be or you can work on your six pack. If you choose to work on the six pack you need to lose body fat, but at 6'3 194 trying to lose weight would be foolish.

yes, because even at wide receiver or corner you are wayyyyyy too light for that height, but then again maybe you are a kicker

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Also, party beers. What kind of a college football player are you anyway? We used to drink from Saturday night through Wednesday night.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
yes, because even at wide receiver or corner you are wayyyyyy too light for that height, but then again maybe you are a kicker

Serious answer was serious. I don't know why. And kickers should all look like this:
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Sebastian-Janikowski/b2e62b3ef7afab486c8348203e0c4fda/Sebastian-Janikowski_17.jpg

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Serious answer was serious. I don't know why. And kickers should all look like this:
http://photos.upi.com/topics-Sebastian-Janikowski/b2e62b3ef7afab486c8348203e0c4fda/Sebastian-Janikowski_17.jpg

yes, indeed they should

Sebastian Jaikowski should be the role models of all kickers, beers with every meal, cocaine and lots of hookers

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Also, party beers. What kind of a college football player are you anyway? We used to drink from Saturday night through Wednesday night.

true story:

Wendler told me I should be drinking 4-6 beers a night on top of my regular diet to pack on weight,my freshman year. It was part of the reason how I was able to pack on about 60lbs my first year in

I miss the days of 7000-8000 cals

=Travis=
04-21-2009, 07:22 PM
true story:

Wendler told me I should be drinking 4-6 beers a night on top of my regular diet to pack on weight,my freshman year. It was part of the reason how I was able to pack on about 60lbs my first year in

I miss the days of 7000-8000 cals

This is what I am thinking with that small weight. Why care about the calories from some beers? You nedd extra calories, may as well have fun getting them.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 07:38 PM
yes, indeed they should

Sebastian Jaikowski should be the role models of all kickers, beers with every meal, cocaine and lots of hookers

Don't forget the GHB he loves so much.

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Don't forget the GHB he loves so much.

thats for the hookers...

=Travis=
04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
hookers, maybe that's what I am missing from my training. I bet they're anabolic

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
hookers, maybe that's what I am missing from my training. I bet they're anabolic

indeed they are... Its scientific

schmitty199
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Partying on the weekends isnt anything to really worry about imo. Biggest concerns would probably be skipping the night meals and dehydration..Your in college, I say party every weekend if you want to.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 07:48 PM
thats for the hookers...

Not when we're talking about Sea Bass.

No, he really takes, or at least took, it himself.

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Not when we're talking about Sea Bass.

No, he really takes, or at least took, it himself.

I know, Im trying to make light of it...Im sure coke and GHB are not the only things he partakes of regularly

=Travis=
04-21-2009, 07:50 PM
indeed they are... Its scientific

Well in that case, craigslist here I come.

Reko
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Alocohol is anabolic. A football player told me. I always hit monday morning squat PRs after weekends of excessive drinking.

I have anecdotal evidence of this as well. We did it all the time in hockey, as would the fans. 3:00 keg baby!

=Travis=
04-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Okay Reko, monday morning ME squats next week, you bring a keg and I'll bring hookers

WillNoble
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Okay Reko, monday morning ME squats next week, you bring a keg and I'll bring hookers

im there

Dingus
04-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Drink more. Extra ab and arm workouts? Seriously don't be that guy.

Drake24
04-21-2009, 09:15 PM
Alright thanks guys, I was more or less just getting paranoid. Some of the freshmen guys I party with wanted to hit the weights with me because they were complaining about how drinking was getting to their bodies already and how they didn't want to look like some of the guys in the frats by their senior year. I've slowly been getting obessed with lifting and them talking all of the time got me paranoid. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making it harder on myself. Ease my mind a little.

And I'm a WR at a DIII school. The guys aren't as big, in general, as DI, can't compare to those sizes. I mean I'm working at getting bigger, but it isn't as big an issue for a WR as it would be at a DI.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 09:28 PM
So beers and train hard. Abs are for soccer players.

Drake24
04-21-2009, 09:33 PM
So beers and train hard. Abs are for soccer players.

I have to do so much work on my abs throughout workouts anyways, that I figure if I have to put in the work, I want to be able to have them there. For me it isn't just about getting stronger for football, that's not what this was about. I've started to really like lifting and making my body more defined and stronger, and healthy, so I want to get the best results I can.

given'er
04-21-2009, 09:37 PM

You guys ever seen Jon Ryan from the seahawks without a shirt on? Now that's what a kicker should look like. He makes most recievers and runningbacks look bad.

KarstenDD
04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I have to do so much work on my abs throughout workouts anyways, that I figure if I have to put in the work, I want to be able to have them there. For me it isn't just about getting stronger for football, that's not what this was about. I've started to really like lifting and making my body more defined and stronger, and healthy, so I want to get the best results I can.

Well you need to choose between looking pretty and training for football. The only way you're going to get your six pack of abdominals to show is by getting very lean. You might be able to do that while still partying but it isn't likely and it won't be easy.

The Bran Man
04-21-2009, 09:48 PM
bottom line. If you drink and drink a decent amount you will not have a defined six pack. That said you can be jacked and have a flat stomach. To me the lifestyle that comes with having a six pack is no where near worth it.

Drake24
04-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Well you need to choose between looking pretty and training for football. The only way you're going to get your six pack of abdominals to show is by getting very lean. You might be able to do that while still partying but it isn't likely and it won't be easy.

Yeah I understand that. And the football was just to explain I'm being active with running and lifting, it wasn't so much that I want a six pack for football. Just for myself. I'm not sure how well football is going to work with my school schedule next year (want to go into education and my classes are during practice) and I may have to drop it. School comes first and it's not like I have a future making money from the game. So football isn't what the thread was about. I just wanted to know, if for myself, I could party and still effectively work at my goal of a six pack.

bottom line. If you drink and drink a decent amount you will not have a defined six pack. That said you can be jacked and have a flat stomach. To me the lifestyle that comes with having a six pack is no where near worth it.

That's what I've been trying to decide. Which is another reason why I asked. Just wondering how many things I'd have to get rid of. It's starting to come in now, and I don't need it to be perfectly defined, I couldn't do what it takes for that. Just want it to be some what visible.

Mercuryblade
04-21-2009, 11:08 PM

Maybe for you. I was able to get a six pack every spring and I drank heavily 2 times a week.

The Bran Man
04-22-2009, 01:41 AM
Maybe for you. I was able to get a six pack every spring and I drank heavily 2 times a week.

Ok I was wrong, but your obviously no were near big. From the people I've I know who have always trained that the bigger you get the harder it is to keep a very low bf% to keep the 6 pack.

Reko
04-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Ok I was wrong, but your obviously no were near big. From the people I've I know who have always trained that the bigger you get the harder it is to keep a very low bf% to keep the 6 pack.

Burn.

Actually, I think I get what you are trying to say. Something along the lines of bigger guys will have more fat, even though it may be the same body fat % there will be more of it "covering up" teh abz.

The Bran Man
04-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Burn.

Actually, I think I get what you are trying to say. Something along the lines of bigger guys will have more fat, even though it may be the same body fat % there will be more of it "covering up" teh abz.

yes sir

Mercuryblade
04-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Ouch.
You can be big and have a low bf% and still have abs. It's all about priorities. Big guys tend to carry their weight better, so they have less incentive to get down to as low a bf% as someone like my self does.
There are big dudes that look 1000x better at 20%+ bf then I do at 15%.

WillNoble
04-22-2009, 01:56 PM
"Show me football player who is only interested in getting six pack abs, and I'll show you a really $hitty football player"

-Me

VikingWarlord
04-22-2009, 02:43 PM

This may be the only thing you've ever said that I completely agree with.

schmitty199
04-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Alright thanks guys, I was more or less just getting paranoid. Some of the freshmen guys I party with wanted to hit the weights with me because they were complaining about how drinking was getting to their bodies already and how they didn't want to look like some of the guys in the frats by their senior year. I've slowly been getting obessed with lifting and them talking all of the time got me paranoid. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't making it harder on myself. Ease my mind a little.

And I'm a WR at a DIII school. The guys aren't as big, in general, as DI, can't compare to those sizes. I mean I'm working at getting bigger, but it isn't as big an issue for a WR as it would be at a DI.

Where do you play at?

Dingus
04-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Take a look at what those guys are eating, most people in college eat like absolute ****. If you are good about eating and don't binge everytime you're drunk you will be fine.