PDA

View Full Version : Today was my refeed day... thoughts.

EMan
04-14-2002, 04:18 AM
After about 6 weeks of dieting and losing about 10lbs of fat and adding about 4lbs of muscle (hmm!) I though it was time for a refeed.

The Plan: 40% above maintenance. = 4800cals

Carbs 60%-70% = 720g-840g
Protein 30%-20% = 360g-240g
Fat 10% = 53g

How it went: (See pic).

Well.. I feel bloated as hell. I had trouble eating so much food but it all went down good without making me sick. I'm pretty happy because I didn't pig out and ate healthy.

Plans for the next refeed: MORE HighGI products because for this one all I had around the house were LowGI for my diet.

Just though I'd share.

the doc
04-14-2002, 07:00 AM
jeeze i hope you had some extra large pants to wear after that

looks like a job well done. That was a lot of food heh heh

nejar462
04-14-2002, 01:23 PM
are u gonna eat like that everyday? if you are, GOOD JOB

EMan
04-14-2002, 02:24 PM
HAHAH thx for the feedback guys. I think if I eat like that another day I'll explode.. that was SOOO much food and I drank a ton of water.. I must of pissed at least 10 times during the day.

My stomach was sticking out like I was a 40 year old beer drinkin couch potato =)

I'm NOT going to eat like that everyday. That was my refeed after dieting 6 weeks. I'm goign to eat like that every 7-10 days =)

But I must say.. 700g of carbs really gets to ya.. I feel bloated, full of gas and sluggish =(.

Blood&Iron
04-14-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by EMan

But I must say.. 700g of carbs really gets to ya.. I feel bloated, full of gas and sluggish =(.
It probably has something to do with your food choices, but I have not had this problem at all, even when eating 900+ grams of carbs(Although, a fair portion of my refeed is merely liquid meal-replacements/carb powder.) ALA may help.

EDIT: Just looked at your chart, and I would say you're eating about 2x as much protein, and quite a bit more fat than I think is ideal(At least in my experience..)

Leviathan
04-14-2002, 03:30 PM
I eat around 4000-4200 calories give or take a 100 every day for the past couple months - with one cheat meal a week. And I thought THAT was tough.

EMan
04-14-2002, 05:34 PM
Blood & Iron:

Thx for the tips. This is my first refeed with info from Par Deus' articles and reading search results from here and Elite.

As far as food choices, have a look at my chart. IMO I ate pretty healthy without any garbage. I donno why I got bloated. Maybe it's because I'm not used to eat so much.

From what I've read you're supposed to eat high carbs, med prot, low fat. My ratios were 58C/28P/14F. I was aiming for 60/30/10.
But you say I ate 2x the protein and too much fat? So how AM I supposed to ration out the food ? 80/10/ 10 ??? what carb sources would just give carbs and virtually no fat then?
During my refeed I didn't take in any extra fats.. it was just whatever natural fat was in the pasta, breat, chicken etc..

Please shed some light on this .. thx.

Blood&Iron
04-14-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by EMan

As far as food choices, have a look at my chart. IMO I ate pretty healthy without any garbage. I donno why I got bloated. Maybe it's because I'm not used to eat so much.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'garbage' but I'd hardly consider most of my choices on refeed days as healthy Count Chocula cereal has become my new favorite, along with low-fat cupcakes, Ultra Fuel, etc. Basically, you want high-glycemic stuff(Best is glucose/glucose polymers), with very minimal fat. Gram amounts of alpha-lipoic acid seem to help me quite a bit as well. When I forget to take it, I also feel a bit bloated. I usually use 250-500mg per meal. Also, using liquid carb powders makes a refeed much easier. They are non-filling, fat free, and an ideal source of carbs(glucose-polymers.) I would use them exclusively, but then I end up very hungry.

From what I've read you're supposed to eat high carbs, med prot, low fat. My ratios were 58C/28P/14F. I was aiming for 60/30/10.
But you say I ate 2x the protein and too much fat? So how AM I supposed to ration out the food ? 80/10/ 10 ??? what carb sources would just give carbs and virtually no fat then?
During my refeed I didn't take in any extra fats.. it was just whatever natural fat was in the pasta, breat, chicken etc..

Please shed some light on this .. thx.
Don't worry about the ratio of protein, just go with 1g/lb of bodyweight. Even if you're not taking in extra fat, you should, IMO, adjust your food choices to lower it even further. I try to go as low as is possible. You can take a look at my journal if you want to get a better idea of how I approach things.

the doc
04-14-2002, 08:07 PM
Also, using liquid carb powders makes a refeed much easier. They are non-filling, fat free, and an ideal source of carbs(glucose-polymers.) I would use them exclusively, but then I end up very hungry.

they are also devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber...

Blood&Iron
04-14-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by the doc

they are also devoid of vitamins, minerals, fiber...
Which is entirely beside the point in this case.

the doc
04-14-2002, 09:14 PM
how is that? Even whilst carbing up i would want to have at least some fibre to avoid digestive problems. With all that insulin activity i would think a few pieces of fruit and some green veges (ie antioxidants) would help deter adverse effects.

but i guess i'm not as hardcore as you :p
:)

Blood&Iron
04-15-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by the doc
how is that? Even whilst carbing up i would want to have at least some fibre to avoid digestive problems. With all that insulin activity i would think a few pieces of fruit and some green veges (ie antioxidants) would help deter adverse effects.

but i guess i'm not as hardcore as you :p
:)
I think a multivitamin suffices for minerals/vitamins, although Ultra Fuel does contain some. Personally, I also take 1-2g of vitamin C, 800IU of vitamin E, and 1-2g of ALA. It's actually better to limit fiber in one's food choices during a refeed. Having some with the meals prior to bed is a good idea, however, along with making that a slower-acting carb source(One place a real meal would be a better choice.) I really don't think most people would run into problems doing this for a day or two, provided their getting sufficient amounts of fiber during the hypocaloric days.

Logo
04-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Eman, could you do me a huge favor and email me that spreadsheet? I could really use something like that to keep track of my daily caloric intake. Thanks!