PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to eat chicken broth without cooking?

Rudygee2
04-23-2009, 08:05 PM
This might be a really stupid question, but is it OK to eat chicken broth without boiling/cooking it in any way? Will I get sick if I don't?

Oh, and just to clarify, I'm talking about the boxed chicken broth (swanson) that you get at the grocery store. So after I've opened it, I refrigerate it, and I want to know if its is OK to eat it directly from the refrigerator without any type of boiling.

VikingWarlord
04-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Broth is cooked. That's how it becomes broth. By simmering chicken pieces in water and aromatics for many hours.

Progress
04-24-2009, 10:58 AM
That sounds gross.

VikingWarlord
04-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah. I wouldn't do it because warm broth tastes better but it won't hurt.

Progress
04-24-2009, 11:57 AM
What I do tastes way better. Just buy a split chicken at the store. Put it in a big pot with water, celery, onions, drained canned tomatoes and letter it simmer for like 3-4 hours.

The chicken is moist, tender and delicious. The broth is salt free and if you let the pot sit in the fridge overnight you can skim the fat off the top. Just add salt and pepper to taste and you have delicious soup done right and easy.

VikingWarlord
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I normally do that with bones after I'm done deboning chicken breasts. I use a white mirepoix, peppercorns, basil, thyme, garlic, and bay leaves.

Store bought broth is relatively cheap and it's easy. If you get the organic stuff there's no salt in it and no fat either. It actually tastes decent.

Rudygee2
04-24-2009, 12:43 PM
Hey guys...thanks a lot for answering. Vikings first answer basically says it all, haha. A stupid question, but I wanted to be sure beyond any doubt. I don't actually plan on eating it cold or anything, but I just wanted to make sure it was OK to eat it without completely boiling it. I'll have to check out the organic stuff. Thanks for the other tips as well!

Progress
04-24-2009, 02:57 PM
Store bought broth is relatively cheap and it's easy. If you get the organic stuff there's no salt in it and no fat either. It actually tastes decent.

You got yourself a stew!