PDA

View Full Version : leg over deadlift?

Doobs
04-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I searched all I could but didn't find any info on this deadlift form. Can someone fill me in on what it is/why they're doing this? Thanks.

The video is the clickable picture, you have to download the .mov file. There's also a longer file under the link titled "2008 Ironcat" that has some more of this form.

http://www.trigg.kyschools.us/our-schools/trigg-county-high-school/extracurricular-activities/athletics/powerlifting

Reko
04-24-2009, 12:49 PM
are you talking about DL with the bar between the legs? I think you should search for Jefferson Lift.

JK1
04-24-2009, 12:53 PM
are you talking about DL with the bar between the legs? I think you should search for Jefferson Lift.

Yup, thats what I'd call it.

What that kid did in the video was a Jefferson Lift, not a deadlift.

Unfortunately it looks like another case of an idiot high school coach teaching kids the wrong way to do things.

Doobs
04-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Ahh that's it. Thanks for your help.

Here's a link for those interested:
http://www.davedraper.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/JeffersonLift

Beefcaker
04-24-2009, 05:00 PM
Does anybody else want to strangle that kid to death?

Hazerboy
04-25-2009, 12:42 PM
lol crappy form or not, he still lifted 700 lbs, though I've never seen any legitimately good powerlifters using the leg over. Is it legal in some federations, sort of like the reverse bench?

Travis Bell
04-25-2009, 01:41 PM
pretty sure it's mostly illegal.

bencher8
04-25-2009, 08:38 PM
Pretty sure its mostly illegal? Dont be so definitve with your statement there Travis! lol

Its not illegal if it doesnt say specifically not to in the rulebook right? I dont think it says anywhere that the sumo is legal...so by that logic the jefferson stance might not be called illegal either....just being devils advocate i guess.. i actually think this isnt just a different stance, but a different lift altogether...lol

waynedang
04-25-2009, 08:55 PM
Man my arms are to short to try that

JK1
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
lol crappy form or not, he still lifted 700 lbs, though I've never seen any legitimately good powerlifters using the leg over. Is it legal in some federations, sort of like the reverse bench?
My understanding is that its an old time lift that originated at or first gained fame by York Barbell lifters.

As far as I know, its never been used in any type of powerlifting meet, only in records of strength "demonstrations" put on by York barbell lifters(who were Olympic lifters, not I don't think its ever been included in any sort of powerlifting meet---powerlifting wasn't around then) in the 1940's.

Again, I'm willing to bet in the case of this school, there is some coach who doesn't know what they are doing who decided it was "safer" or some crap like that.

BigRic
04-25-2009, 11:26 PM
that a lot of weight for a highschool kid, good form or not.

Beefcaker
04-26-2009, 12:59 AM
It's not what he did that I don't like. It's the way he went about it. Why is there an entire school watching him lift something that he probably slipped 4 disks trying to lift? I bet he pinched his sciatic nerve so hard he was pissing and ****ting all over himself afterward... (dry sarcasm)

Reko
04-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Pretty sure its mostly illegal? Dont be so definitve with your statement there Travis! lol

Its not illegal if it doesnt say specifically not to in the rulebook right? I dont think it says anywhere that the sumo is legal...so by that logic the jefferson stance might not be called illegal either....just being devils advocate i guess.. i actually think this isnt just a different stance, but a different lift altogether...lol

the rule book may say something along the lines of the legs/feet must be on the same side of the bar or something.

JK1
04-26-2009, 11:51 AM
the rule book may say something along the lines of the legs/feet must be on the same side of the bar or something.

I checked that with a couple of federations (SPF, APF, USAPL/IPF). The ones I checked basically said that for the deadlift, the bar must "laid horizontally in front of the lifters feet prior to the beginning of the lift" or some version of that wording

In my opinion, and based on that criteria, the Jefferson Lift isn't a variation of the deadlift. Its a completely different lift all together.

Lones Green
04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
I saw a guy do it at an SPF meet last year, it was a small meet...not sure if they redlighted him or what, all I remember is seeing him doing it, shaking my head and walking back into the warmup room

Travis Bell
04-26-2009, 03:08 PM

LOL well I can't speak on all federations now, there's so many small ones out there i'm sure one of them would allow it.

Either way, it looks downright ridiculous to me. A guy like myself with short arms would be in an immense amount of pain at the top if you catch my drift

danmac
04-26-2009, 03:26 PM
So is using that form allow more weight to be lifted? I'm watching that 4 minute video, and every kid is deadlifting 500 plus! Thats ridiculous, theres no way ALL of those highschool kids are stronger than me.

waynedang
04-26-2009, 03:37 PM
LOL well I can't speak on all federations now, there's so many small ones out there i'm sure one of them would allow it.

Either way, it looks downright ridiculous to me. A guy like myself with short arms would be in an immense amount of pain at the top if you catch my drift

Yup thats why you need a camber bar:D

bencher8
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Yes I think that leg over will allow you to lift more....keeps everything in a better line with the persons center of gravity, its also not as hard to push your hips through as it would be with a reg dead...