PDA

View Full Version : weightloss for an athlete

slashkills
04-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I know gaining strength and losing weight at the same time is difficult. But is there any way that i could try and cut 10lbs in in 2-3months while still progressing or atleast maintaining strength? I want to lose some weight to be quicker and more agile. I know 15lbs may not be alot but everything will help.
My daily average food intake looks like this
Calories:1000-1500
carbs:100-140g
protein:40-120-i know i need to take care of this. Ive been starting to take shakes
fat:50-80g

My diet is pretty bad.
Breakfast: breakfast sandwich with egg,cheese,sausage,pancake. Protein shake

Lunch at school i normally have a chicken strip sandwich with lettuce a bag of chips and water

Dinner: cheese burger,grilled chicken,sloppy joe,baked potatatoes
protein shake

snacks:chips and salsa or a bag of chips at lunch

VikingWarlord
04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Getting stronger is entirely possible while losing weight and maintaining isn't that difficult at all. Gaining mass while losing fat is what's hard.

The best way to maintain strength while dropping weight is a carb cycle.

slashkills
04-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks,How does the calorie intake of 1000-1500 look?

VikingWarlord
04-24-2009, 06:42 PM
Depends on what your maintenance is.

slashkills
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Ok according to this website-http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html
my maintnance is 2305.5 calories.

I have a pretty hard time reaching that much on any given day. My average intake is 1500calories and im still carrying alot of weight around my stomach.

VikingWarlord
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Calculator? Don't make me slap you. By the time you get to 576 posts, you should know better than that.

slashkills
04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Yea i know its not real accurate but im not looking to be perfect with this. Im hoping to get by with the basics. Not possiable?

VikingWarlord
04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
There are too many variables involved to be able to use a calculator or formula. If your maintenance really is supposed to be 2300 and you eat 1000 a day for a long time, you may have trashed your metabolism. If that's the case, you have a lot of work to do.

Being that you're a small dude, don't worry about it. Eat more and lift. If your intake is accurately tracked at that range, you're definitely below maintenance no matter what it really is, so bump it up, eat well, and train hard.

slashkills
04-26-2009, 10:56 AM
What exactly are the effects of a trashed metabolism?

badgerer
04-26-2009, 11:13 AM
1000 calories a day is not good for you under any circumstances!

Kenny Croxdale
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
I know gaining strength and losing weight at the same time is difficult. But is there any way that i could try and cut 10lbs in in 2-3months while still progressing or atleast maintaining strength?

Slash,

Anytime you lose weight, you lose muscle, which mean you lose strength.

I want to lose some weight to be quicker and more agile.

Losing weight does not mean you will become quicker or be more agile.

My diet is pretty bad.

That's fixable.

Kenny Croxdale

slashkills
04-27-2009, 08:07 PM
I know that just losing the weight is going to help me be faster but that extra baggage doesnt help the cause. I want to lose weight and so far the most common thing for and athlete/lifter seems to be a carb/calorie cycle.

I seen something that elliot hulse posted for athletes. He said that for an athlete the best thing is a cycle and the he recommended joe marion(sorry not sure on the spelling for that one.) but you have to pay to get this guys diet routine. Vikingwarlord also suggested the same thing. So im going to give it a shot.

This is where i think i need some help. I have the basic idea down, more calories/carbs on training days and less on off days. How much should i be getting on off days? how about on training days,more than or at my maintnance?

Kenny Croxdale
04-28-2009, 08:23 AM
I know that just losing the weight is going to help me be faster

Slash,

According to your "Stats", your- weight 155lbs height 5' 8"

You need to increase you muscle mass/body weight to be faster.

Dropping your weight down to 140 lbs is insanity.

I guarantee that if you lose weight, you are going to run slower!

I guarantee that you squat, bench press and deadlift will go down.

Kenny Croxdale

slashkills
04-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Yea ive been thinking about that. Im not going to try and lose that much but i would like to slim up some. I do have a decent amount of fat on my ass and stomach.

m4rk
04-29-2009, 09:32 AM
2-3 months to lose 10lbs? ****, you can just use PSMF and be done with that in less than a month....

VDubb
04-29-2009, 11:22 AM
[COLOR="Navy"]

I guarantee that if you lose weight, you are going to run slower!

Really? I have found the opposite to be true. I feel as though I am MUCH faster after dropping weight, and others have noticed as well.........

Know of any studies on this?

If I'm eating to lose weight (slightly under maintenance), and have not seen strength loss, I'm not sure how it would be that I would lose speed........shouldn't same strength + less mass = faster?

Holto
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Really? I have found the opposite to be true. I feel as though I am MUCH faster after dropping weight, and others have noticed as well.........

If I'm eating to lose weight (slightly under maintenance), and have not seen strength loss, I'm not sure how it would be that I would lose speed........shouldn't same strength + less mass = faster?

What ken is saying is if you have muscle AND fat and lose fat, you'll run faster. If you don't have much lean mass, losing weight isn't going to help much. Gaining some weight in the form of lean mass will.

I think it's a fact that losing weight while maintaining strength will make you faster, but if you're not explosive, get some explosiveness.

Kenny Croxdale
04-30-2009, 10:23 AM

VD,

My statment guaranteeing that Slash was in regard to his situation. I am not what your is. So, you might need increase you speed by decreasing bodyweight.

Genearally speaking, when you lose body weight, you lose some muscle mass. Thus, your strength is going to decrease. That is why there are body weight classes in weightlifting, powerlifting, boxing, MMA, etc.

A decrease in muscle mass means you have a smaller engine in your car so to speak. A smaller engine means a decrease in speed and power. Thus, the car will run slower.

Slash's Stats are: 5'8". 155 lbs. How much muscle does he have at 155 lbs?

He wants to drop 15 lbs going down to 140 lbs. How much muscle will he have once he get there. The answer is that he going to have LESS muscle at 140 lb than 155 lbs

So, about how much does the average sprinter weigh?

From what I have seen, most sprinters are probably in the 175-180 lb body weight area on average. That's 20-25 lbs more than Slash is right now at 155 lbs. That means those sprinters probably have around 18 lbs more muscle than Slashs does at 155 lbs.

Slash want to drop to 140 lbs. Think about the implications and consequences of that.

Increasing you strengh and decreasing you mass works but there is a "sweet spot". That meaning, there is a certain body weight in which you are able to exert the greatest amount of force, explosive power, speed, etc.

Kenny Croxdale

VDubb
04-30-2009, 11:07 AM
VD,

My statment guaranteeing that Slash was in regard to his situation. I am not what your is. So, you might need increase you speed by decreasing bodyweight.......

Thanks for clarifying Kenny!! :strong: