PDA

View Full Version : Body Fat Percentage Confusion!

badgerer
04-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Hi,

I have just bought some calipers for measuring my body fat percentage. The instructions say to measure a skin fold about one inch above the tip of the right hip bone. I have done so with a measurement of 6mm, which reads 8.4% body fat. This is rubbish! I must be around twice that at a guess (I'm 6'2", 185 pounds without a great deal of muscle mass). Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or alternative sites/methods for testing your body fat percentage?

Cheers

VikingWarlord
04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Hi,

I have just bought some calipers for measuring my body fat percentage. The instructions say to measure a skin fold about one inch above the tip of the right hip bone. I have done so with a measurement of 6mm, which reads 8.4% body fat. This is rubbish! I must be around twice that at a guess (I'm 6'2", 185 pounds without a great deal of muscle mass). Any ideas what I may be doing wrong or alternative sites/methods for testing your body fat percentage?

Cheers

Calipers suck.

The best thing I've found that isn't hydrostatic or DEXA is this (http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html). It's not going to be 100% accurate but it takes a few measurements into consideration instead of just one.

Cards
04-25-2009, 08:12 AM
Calipers need to be taken accurately at a few different places on the body. Most times by a professional to get any type of accurate read. People carry fat differently. While I may carry excess fat on my legs you may carry it around your stomach, that's why you it needs to be done at different body sites then averaged.

Mercuryblade
04-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Calipers need to be taken accurately at a few different places on the body. Most times by a professional to get any type of accurate read. People carry fat differently. While I may carry excess fat on my legs you may carry it around your stomach, that's why you it needs to be done at different body sites then averaged.

I wouldn't trust a calipers at all for my body. When I gain weight it goes to the lower section of my stomach and my love handles almost exclusively. I love looking like E.T. every time I bulk.

Kenny Croxdale
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi,

Cheers

Bad,

Calipers are an effective took if you have a good technician who know how to use them. A good technician has performed hundreds of caliper readings.

A good technician will use a tape measure and a pen to get a precise reading. They can obtain a good reading with three sites:

Men: Chest, waist, leg
Women: Tricep, waist, leg

Much like a caprenter who measure twice cuts once, they will measure precise spots on you, then mark it with a pen.

Any individual who does NOT perform that protocol does NOT know what they are doing and is going to get an inaccurate reading.

Kenny Croxdale