PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to oats as a carb in shakes?

Tempest
04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm find using otas in a shake really bloats me up. I think its the fibre in them which sraws in all the water making them sit in my stomach.

I'm hesitent to use something like waxy mize starch or malto as these appear to have no nutrient value.

Has anybody ried using brown rice flour in their shakes as an alternative?

BFGUITAR
04-25-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm find using otas in a shake really bloats me up. I think its the fibre in them which sraws in all the water making them sit in my stomach.

I'm hesitent to use something like waxy mize starch or malto as these appear to have no nutrient value.

Has anybody ried using brown rice flour in their shakes as an alternative?

The idea of using oats is for the complex carbs, not for that nutrients. Waxy maize is a good substitute. If your worried about nutritional value take a multi or eat complex carbs at another point during the day.

Tempest
04-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Ok thanks BF, I should clarify what my goals are:

I want to create a tolerable, easy to mix high as possible kcal shake for bulking. I aim to get at least 3000kcals from the shakes, better 4000

I have a very fast metabolism :(

Kcals are most important to me but I don't want the shake to destroy my already poor appetite. I found oats tended to sit in my stomach (probably the fibre) and are very filling.

I have tried weight gainers with malto in them before and I really don't think they do anything because of their poor nutrient value. Haven't tried WMS though. So I would rather focus on adding ground down "real" food.

I've read that some people have used brown rice flour in there shakes, this seems like it could be a good idea if it has similar kcals/ mixability...

Big Jay
04-25-2009, 12:07 PM
I aim to get at least 3000kcals from the shakes, better 4000
how many cals are you gettin from whole food?

BFGUITAR
04-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Ok thanks BF, I should clarify what my goals are:

I want to create a tolerable, easy to mix high as possible kcal shake for bulking. I aim to get at least 3000kcals from the shakes, better 4000

I have a very fast metabolism :(

Kcals are most important to me but I don't want the shake to destroy my already poor appetite. I found oats tended to sit in my stomach (probably the fibre) and are very filling.

I have tried weight gainers with malto in them before and I really don't think they do anything because of their poor nutrient value. Haven't tried WMS though. So I would rather focus on adding ground down "real" food.

I've read that some people have used brown rice flour in there shakes, this seems like it could be a good idea if it has similar kcals/ mixability...

What exactly are you expecting them to do?

Tempest
04-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Big-

1500- 2000. Now, befor you guys have a go at me, I've always been a small eater. And appetite is a problem for me. I find forcefeeding really difficult. If I can get the added kcals through shakes, surely that's OK? I think its less brutal(for me) then forcefeeding. I'm aiming for 5000 kcals a day.

BF,

I was expecting the extra kcals to help with weight gain. A kcal is a kcal but surely if its utterly devoid of nutrient value, its not the best way to maximize muscle mass.

BFGUITAR
04-25-2009, 02:43 PM
Big-

1500- 2000. Now, befor you guys have a go at me, I've always been a small eater. And appetite is a problem for me. I find forcefeeding really difficult. If I can get the added kcals through shakes, surely that's OK? I think its less brutal(for me) then forcefeeding. I'm aiming for 5000 kcals a day.

BF,

I was expecting the extra kcals to help with weight gain. A kcal is a kcal but surely if its utterly devoid of nutrient value, its not the best way to maximize muscle mass.

The difference between using oats and waxy maize would basically no impact on muscle gain. Again, if your worried about not getting the nutrients you could be you could always make it up with other food. Really, you feeling better from your food will have a better impact on muscle gain than from the nutrients gained from oats.

Tempest
04-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks Bf,

but is WMS just corn flour?

And although its technically a complex carb, I hear it is absorbed pretty quickly. Is this gonna mess around with my insulin levels?

Would rice flour have the advantage of being more slowly digested?

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 11:11 AM
if youd like you can make your shake, and eat a slice or two of whole weat bread with it!

Brad08
04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
I have tried weight gainers with malto in them before and I really don't think they do anything because of their poor nutrient value.

What do you mean they don't "do anything"?

THEY HELP YOU GAIN WEIGHT.

If you want nutritious, follow your weight gainer shake with a serving of fruits and vegetables, or blend them right into your shake.

Tempest
04-28-2009, 02:46 PM
OK so would it be Ok to do this?

3x shakes/day consisiting of:

500mls whole milk (320kcal), 100g waxy maize starch (350kcal), 1 scoop protein (12okcal) 2 tbs olive oil (240kcal)

And then aim to eat 3 healthy as possible meals? (1000-1500kcals)

The problem is I don't wanna be eating all the time and have small appetite any way. I weigh 130 pounds at almost 5 ft 11 btw!

Brad08
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
lmao

Tempest
04-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Please share the humour:)

I get the impression u don't approve of my plan..

Brad08
04-28-2009, 03:25 PM
You're 130 pounds. You have a high metabolism. You've "tried" weight gainers but they apparently defied the laws of physics and "did nothing." You want to bulk but you "don't wanna be eating all the time."

FWIW, your shake recipe looks fine.

See you in a few weeks with your next diet post.

BFGUITAR
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
OK so would it be Ok to do this?

3x shakes/day consisiting of:

500mls whole milk (320kcal), 100g waxy maize starch (350kcal), 1 scoop protein (12okcal) 2 tbs olive oil (240kcal)

And then aim to eat 3 healthy as possible meals? (1000-1500kcals)

The problem is I don't wanna be eating all the time and have small appetite any way. I weigh 130 pounds at almost 5 ft 11 btw!

Lol well good luck trying to put on weight. I went from 140 to 200lbs and I did it by eating all the time and occasionally taking shakes.

I personally would use more milk, add in peanutbutter, and a banana with a little waxy maize for carbs (plus olive oil of course). If you want to keep eating to a minimum you must increase the amount of fat in your diet.

Tempest
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
I tried a weight gainer with malto (nlarge) and the gut ache I got with it became unbearable after a couple of wks. Was taking it three x per day. I have made another post in the main forum, as its a whole new issue which I expect peeps will have differing opinions of. But it might give u guys a better idea of where I'm coming from

ApprenticeWL
04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I got crazy fast metabolism aswell but I never had an eating problem lol... Don't you have some junk food you love to eat?
Burgers?Pizza?French fries?Pasta?Fried Chicken?Taco?Chinese Food?Steak?Club Sandwich?BBQ ribs?Cake?Ice Cream? etc. I can go on and on...Eat what you love and you'll eat alot of it