PDA

View Full Version : Consistency

vdizenzo
04-26-2009, 04:38 PM
I seem to have consistency problems with my diet and conditioning. I can do well on a diet for a short time and then it's out the window. Same thing with conditioning. The sad truth is that I feel great when I am getting it done. I am certainly consistent with training. If I could just put it altogether I am sure I would see even better gains.

So here is my plan for consistency. There is no reason I can't do some form of exercise everyday whether it be training, cardio, or gpp. I should also be able to hold a quality diet together for more than a few days at a clip. My wife told me to put a calendar on the fridge and mark each day that I exercise with a red / and mark it with a blue \ when I eat well. Both will combine to make an X on good days. I am shooting for a week of straight X's starting tomorrow. We'll see if I can make it.

Travis Bell
04-26-2009, 04:49 PM
I could not agree more. I've slacked on my GPP work big time lately, although the diet part I've lately gotten under control. LOL Actually right now I'm eating cottage cheese instead of a nice sweet snack that I'd love to grab.

What I've found works super well with the diet stuff is when my girl is doing it with me. Right now I do most of the cooking because she's busy with graduating and cooking quality food is a royal pain in the neck, but since we're both doing it, it's much easier to keep track of it.

The other thing I've noticed. When I eat clean, I have to eat a TON more to maintain my needed caloric intake. So much that it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get used to eating as much as I need to. After that though, I'm used to it

The GPP work ends up being my responsibility LOL. Fortunately with the weather shaping up nicely and it being a huge part of my job (training others conditioning) it'll be a cinch to get it back to where it needs to be.

I like the calendar idea!

gatorman2k6
04-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Good luck to you both on this. I'm sure you will both succeed because you both have worked hard to get where you are currently at. I myself have tried to get some more cardio work in on off-days. This summer I'm going to try and clean up my diet a little since I will be home. Keep at it and I'm sure this will be a good thread to keep you motivated.

Pete22
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Just start running hills with Rhodes. :D

slashkills
04-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Good luck to both of you! your both intelligent lifters and im sure you will get it done.

Brian C
04-27-2009, 10:15 AM
I actually love the calendar idea. I think I'm going to gives this a shot myself.

Jonah
04-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I seem to have consistency problems with my diet and conditioning. I can do well on a diet for a short time and then it's out the window. Same thing with conditioning. The sad truth is that I feel great when I am getting it done. I am certainly consistent with training. If I could just put it altogether I am sure I would see even better gains.

So here is my plan for consistency. There is no reason I can't do some form of exercise everyday whether it be training, cardio, or gpp. I should also be able to hold a quality diet together for more than a few days at a clip. My wife told me to put a calendar on the fridge and mark each day that I exercise with a red / and mark it with a blue \ when I eat well. Both will combine to make an X on good days. I am shooting for a week of straight X's starting tomorrow. We'll see if I can make it.

Sounds like a plan Vin. Just keep hacking away at it.

rbtrout
04-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I just recently started reigning in my diet, as well. Now, I think I've got my wife convinced to do the same thing. It's much easier when you both eat the same things (I eat way more, though). The GPP is a killer for me, as well. We've got a really nice treadmill at home and I'm thinking of starting 2 days a week on that. Coupled with basketball on Saturdays, it should really help me out. Good luck all.

Lones Green
04-27-2009, 03:03 PM
For the most part, I'm pretty vigilante when it comes to training consistency. GPP work is something I've neglected though, like many. I think your plan should work great Vin.

You've gotten pretty dad gum strong being inconsistent so far! LOL

vdizenzo
04-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Well I have made it through the diet and conditioning today. One day down six to go to make a week. One week is my first goal.

BigRic
04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Even though your a veteran lifter probably don't need advice, if you're thinking about doing 30 or more minutes of cardio try breaking it up, 15 on a bike and 15 on an eliptical for example. Helps break up the monogamy. I have a similar problem but the weekends kill me for eating well. I can get a good breakfast in but after that it's downhill.

Cricket_Fire
04-27-2009, 04:31 PM
BigRic - I'm the complete same way haha. I wake up with the best of intentions, but as the day goes on it tends to get worse and worse :D

I've started focusing on getting more flexibility stuff in since visiting Chip's gym; I've found it help when I make myself write down everything I've done.. sort of makes me realize how much or little stuff I'm actually doing. I've written "what have you done today to become a champ" on a piece of paper which is taped where I see it multiple times a day; if nothing else it guilts me into doing more haha

Good luck Vin :)

HP666
04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
You can do it Vin. No one knows more than me how hard it is. I've been a big guy my whole life and have battled fatness. That was my only problem when I started Powerlifting, I loved just eating and not caring, I used PL as an excuse to eat whatever and whenever I wanted. But that had to stop; hell, I'm, 39 years old with a 15 month old daughter and one on the way in a few days, I have to get healthier for them if nothing else. Have you thought about working with a nutritionist? I'm sure you'd rather do it on your own but sometimes having someone that knows what they're doing there to be accountable too, well that helps. I'm working with Shelby Starnes at the moment, and carb cycling and everything is great. It seems like a lot at first but once you get rolling it's really, really easy to keep up with. I find it easier now than the way I was eating before, well, aside from the God's Kitchen drive thru! You mentioned consistency and that's the key Vin, no matter what you do or how you do it, just keep doing it because the longer you do it the easier it will get, you need to remember that.

vdizenzo
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
The thing is I'm not looking to cut weight. I actually want to gain a few lbs. I just want to eat well. The funny thing is I do most of the time. I just fall off the wagon. I'm happiest when I am eating like an animal, but with all good foods. When I overeat good foods I feel fine. When I overeeat bad foods I feel awful and get very self loathing. I am also kind of an all or nothing guy. If I have a bad day eating I won't do gpp or cardio.

I still have a few goals I want to hit and I am only going to do it at my age if I'm doing everything right. I'rn really trying to dedicate myself totally.

Rob Luyando
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Vincent,
You have to structure your diet so it is more like a challenge to eat right. If its not a challenge you will loose interest fast and go back to your old ways of being a typical lazy powerlifter. All the time in the gym is great but we all know that diet and nutrition is just important if not more. But some reason its so easy to blow the nutrition and diet off.

As for the cardio. It is cool once your hooked but still so easy to get off track. I had been doing cardio religiously for the past 12 weeks 30 mins a day 6 days a week. A chest cold made me take a week off because I couldn't breath doing cardio. I am over the cold now and finding it harder then ever to get back to the cardio thing?????

As for the calender idea from your wife. That I like but it may work a little better if you can convince her to thow in some added bonus when you make a full week off "x's" . I am sure you know where I am going with this so I will stop now out of respect for your wife.

Diet, Cardio, and Nutrition plans go hand in hand with all the iron in the gym. But please Vincent don't let turn into one of those pretty powerlifters.

Detard
04-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Great idea with the calender thing. I'm gonna give that a try for sure.

Good luck man.

chris taylor
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Vinny,
I'm with Rob here start with diet and get it on track and spinkle in the cardio as you can, be careful you might get too sexy this happened to me and I decided to get chubby again... For me when my diet is right it usually takes me 10-12 days of good eating to get into cruise control. When I get it rolling it is easier to keep it there. So just trudging ahead and it will get easier.

CT

vdizenzo
04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the encouragement boys. 2 days so far and 2 X's. 5 to go to hit my first goal.

vdizenzo
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Vincent,
As for the calender idea from your wife. That I like but it may work a little better if you can convince her to thow in some added bonus when you make a full week off "x's" . I am sure you know where I am going with this so I will stop now out of respect for your wife.

Oh Rob, she is a good girl. She has rewarded me for all my milestones. The first one was for a 600 bench, I was so excited for it that I hit 650 that day. I'll tell her the boys want her to reward me for the week and see what she says.

vdizenzo
04-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Three days, three X's. I'm keeping this thread updated until I make the week.

Brad08
04-30-2009, 07:29 AM
That's awesome. Keep it up.

the calendar thing is a great idea. I remember hearing a saying, something like, "What isn't tracked doesn't exist." Or something like that.

You track your training in a journal (presumably). Why not also track your GPP/cardio and Diet work? Treat it as serious as your lifting and not like an afterthought. The calendar is a great way to do that, or at least a good first step.

Athos
04-30-2009, 07:30 AM
The calendar idea is a good one - Jerry Seinfeld did something similar. Apparently he was very undisciplined when he was first starting out, he should have been writing jokes, but always found something else to do instead. So he bought a giant one-year calendar and hung it up where anyone could see it. Every day he wrote for at least an hour, he put a big red "X" on that day, after stringing a few days together, he wanted to keep a continuous line of red X's. After a while, writing was habit. I do the same thing with diet, every day I keep my caloric intake under my goal amount, I mark it off. I want the streak to continue so much now that it gives me that little extra motivation to keep the twinkie out of my mouth.

Rob Luyando
04-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Three days, three X's. I'm keeping this thread updated until I make the week.

Way to go Vincent! I need to start doing this. I have skipped cardio for about three weeks now. Initially because I had a bad chest cold and couldn't breath during cardio. Now I have just gotten myself out of the routine. I don't step on the scale that often anymore since I am not concerned with making weight for any meets. But today I did and I am 11 lbs heavier then I was three weeks ago. Now this is good and bad. I have added my recovery drink back into my program and that usually makes me gain some mass but not 11 lbs. I guess I can blame this partially on my son Hunter as well. He is four and like every 4 yr old he likes Dairy Queen. Unfortunatley so does dad.

So Today I am going to get back on the treadmill for atleast 20 mins and put my first X on the calender. My target goal is to get back to 30 mins 6 days a week like I was prior to my cold. And I will also throw abb training back into the mix. No Vincent I am not looking for the pretty boy look just trying to stay solid.

vdizenzo
04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
Glad to see this is helping. It's helped me. 4 X's down!

KarstenDD
04-30-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm going to bring a bunch of pizzas to the gym tomorrow.

bill
05-01-2009, 09:29 AM

Pizza is ok just make sure loaded with veggies and meat.

Reko
05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Pizza is ok just make sure loaded with veggies and meat.

and cheese!

Jonah
05-01-2009, 12:43 PM

You'll eat them yourself before you get there.

HP666
05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Glad to see this is helping. It's helped me. 4 X's down!

Good job Vin, keep it up.

whiteman90909
05-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I would say good job, but I'm saving that for the end of the week :D

vdizenzo
05-01-2009, 09:52 PM
5 down!

vdizenzo
05-03-2009, 08:21 AM
6 days!

The wife and I were going to have some slice and bake cookies with ice cream for a cheat dessert last night. We had a to go to a little get together for a body transormation contest being held by a gym franchise here in CT. She won her division and got a cash prize. She's starting to get a fitness model physique. I am very proud of her. Well after that, we decided we did not need the slice and bakes. We went home and each had a 100 cal snack pack pudding. I actually felt really good about this. I felt satisfied without guilt.

One more day for a week and I will stop udating this here. However, I'll keep it going in my journal.

gatorman2k6
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Awesome work Vin! I knew you could do it. Keep up the good work

Rob Luyando
05-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Congrats Vincenet! Thats cool about the wife and the fitness model look. Just don't follow her foot steps. I couldn't imagine Vincent with a fitness modells physicue.

slashkills
05-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Thats awesome man! keep it up.

vdizenzo
05-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys. Don't worry Rob, I am starting a new look "Fatness Model." It's going to be all the rage.

vdizenzo
05-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Made the 7 days. The worst I did was have one cheat meal of Pizza and I did not even eat a whole pie--so does that really count? I feel great and I actually gained 1 lb eating good food. I completed one form or another of exercise everyday. The X's on the calendar really helped. Seeing that calendar in the kitchen really kept me motivated. I plan on continuing it. My goal is 30 consecutive X's.

Thanks for the support. I'm all done here. I'll continue the X's in my journal

mike danforth
05-04-2009, 06:30 AM
nice job Vin, now that your on a roll it'll get easier.....

Joe Black
05-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Good job Vin.

Remember though, you don't need to be 100% consistent.

I think the difference between 90% and 100% is marginal but the difference between say 70% and 90% is huge.

Don't sweat it if you screw up one time, just make the next 5 meals good :)

vdizenzo
05-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Good job Vin.

Remember though, you don't need to be 100% consistent.

I think the difference between 90% and 100% is marginal but the difference between say 70% and 90% is huge.

Don't sweat it if you screw up one time, just make the next 5 meals good :)

Aboslutely Daniel. If I have one bad meal over the course of a day, I still consider it a good day. I am just making better choices. My wife and I went out to dinner one night last week. I ate a salad, chicken fingers, and mashed potatoes. With that meal I would usually eat all of the bread and butter out of the bread basket. Get some mozz sticks for an appetizer, and have apple pie with ice cream for dessert. Those are a lot of unecessary empty calories. A meal like that usually spirals me into more bad eating.

I'm sure I'll crave a meal like that sometime soon and when I do, I'll just make sure to get back on the program the next meal. I'll also make sure to exercise a little more that day.

Jonah
05-04-2009, 10:37 AM
what is this sa-lad you speak of?

Clifford Gillmore
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Heh, don't feel bad about it Vin, I just came of a 2 year binge of no training and fast food diet!

Looking at it, Its just a form of self abuse. You know how damn good you are going to feel if you eat your 3 bowls of veggies a day, get those good carbs, eat a ton of lean meat/chicken/fish, but you just don't. I'm getting my self sorted this time, Its good to see you doing it as well man! Cloughie's right on it, cheating is AOK - just don't let excuse you into cheating more :)

Rob Luyando
05-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Great work Vicent. Your getting serious about this ****. Damb! As for a cheat meal there is nothing wrong with that. Actually when dieting it is good to have a cheat meal once a week. It will throw off your metabalism and keep your from hitting a wall.

Brad08
05-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Sick work, Vin. Maybe this will help you as you keep up this habit:

Perhaps the single biggest reason I have found for dieters failing in their diet effects is that many
dieters try to be far too absolute in their approach to the diet something I alluded to in the foreword. When these people are on their diet they are ON THEIR DIET(!!!). Which is altogether fine as long as they stay on the diet. The problem is that any slip, no matter how small, is taken as complete and utter
failure. The diet is abandoned and the post-diet food binge begins. As Iíve mentioned, this tends to put the fat (and frequently a little extra) back on faster than before.

We have all either known (or been) the following person: one cookie eaten in a moment of weakness or distraction, the guilt sets in, and the rest of the bag is GONE (perhaps inhaled is the proper word). Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, right? Psychologists refer to such individuals as rigid dieters, they see the world in a rather extreme right or wrong approach, either they are on their diet, and 100% perfection is expected, or they are off their diet, shoveling crap in as fast as it will go. Iím quite sure this type of attitude is not limited to dieting, probably any behavior you care to name finds people at one extreme or the other.

As a side note, you can oftentimes see the same attitude with people starting an exercise program. The first few weeks go great, workouts are going well, then a single workout is missed. The person figures that any benefits are lost because of missing that one workout and they never go back to the gym.

Now, I could probably go on for pages about this one topic but Iíll spare you the verbiage. My main point out that there are times (most of them) when obsessive dedication or the expectation of perfection becomes a very real source of failure. Sure, if it drives you towards better and better results, such an attitude will work. But only until you finally slip. Note that I said Ďuntil you slipí not Ďif you slipí. In most cases, itís a matter of when, not if youíre going to break your diet.

If you take the attitude that anything less than absolute perfection is a failure, youíre pretty much doomed from the start. Now, there are some exceptions, places where results have to obtained in a very short time frame and you canít really accept mistakes. Athletes who have a short time to get to a certain level of bodyfat or muscle mass, for whom victory or defeat may hinge on their ability to suffer for long enough are one. I mentioned some others in The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, situations where individuals need or want to reach some drastic goal in a very short period of time; even there I included some deliberate breaks for both psychological and physiological reasons. But in the grand majority of cases, this type of obsessive, no-exceptions attitude tends to cause more problems that it solves.

Keeping with this idea, psychologists frequently talk about something called the 80/20 principle which says that ĎIf youíre doing what youíre supposed to do 80% of the time, the other 20% doesnít matterí. While there are certainly exceptions (try avoiding crack or heroin for 80% of the time), it certainly applies to dieting and exercise under the grand majority of conditions.

If the changes youíve made to your diet and exercise program stay solid for 80% of the time, the other 20% is no big deal. Not unless you make it one. And thatís really the issue, that 20% problem only becomes one if the dieter decides (either consciously or unconsciously) to make it a problem. Once again, the exception is for those folks under strict time frames, who donít have the option to screw up. For everyone else, seeking perfection means seeking failure.