PDA

View Full Version : Tips for the "last few lbs?"

twm
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
ok, i still have fair amount of fat on my obliques, belly area and ass. any suggestions? HIIT is out -- i have IT band issues so anything involving running is not possible. should i ride out carb cycling for a few more weeks?? I'm currently eating 2300 cals on non w/o days and 2800 on w/o days. i'm 191 from 220-225. when i took my 1.5 week break from dieting before starting to carb cycle in March, my metabolism exploded again and i was dieting on 2500/3000... but i've stalled for two weeks in a row now in fat/weight loss. what do I do from here? I've never taken a cut this far. this is the start of my 7th week of carb cycling. the diet itself isn't that bad at all.. but i'm losing strength now.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27329&d=1240801419

VikingWarlord
04-26-2009, 09:17 PM
HIIT isn't necessarily running. Do your IT band issues prevent you from biking, rowing, swimming, jumping rope, or doing complexes? If you're losing strength, cutting calories farther won't be as effective as including HIIT using some modality you can work with. Pick one or two and stick with the diet. Your loss will slow down as you get to that level.

twm
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
i will try erging. biking, jumping rope for prolonged periods will def aggravate the bands.

offhand, 2 days per week on a carb day for 10-12 min starting off and go from there? maybe in a 30s/2m on/off pattern?

twm
04-27-2009, 05:56 AM
for informational purposes I looked around and apparently the one of best forms of rowing HIIT is called Tabata rowing (also known as Guerilla cardio) where you have a 20s work interval followed by a 10s rest. you are rowing against a pace boat. if at any point during a 500m segment, you fall behind the 2.46.6 m/s pace boat, youre done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVx7alwlVuE

VikingWarlord
04-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Tabata is a bitch. I did Tabata squats once and thought I was going to die.

Just for informational purposes, Tabata is the 20:10 interval and it's supposed to go for 4 minutes. Some people just take the 20:10 split, leave out the 4 minute part and call it Tabata. Either way, it will make you consider suicide the first few times you do it.

twm
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
ok if anyone cares, Tabata is ridiculous. I only did 4 minutes and frankly... i was fatigued at 3 minutes. 30 minutes later and i still feel short of breath. gonna shoot for 3 times per week

Trainwreck
04-27-2009, 07:47 PM
After watching a few videos its easy to see why it would be a bitch, it definitely beats the regular running/biking cardio though. I'm gonna give this a try sometime next week when I go back to the gym, I hate knee injuries.

VikingWarlord
04-28-2009, 06:37 AM
ok if anyone cares, Tabata is ridiculous. I only did 4 minutes and frankly... i was fatigued at 3 minutes. 30 minutes later and i still feel short of breath. gonna shoot for 3 times per week

Keep in mind that Tabata is only supposed to be 4 minutes, made up of 8 20:10 intervals. You don't need to keep adding time to it because, as you get in better condition, you push harder and harder. Same effect, same time, higher intensity every time.

Just make sure that, once you're done, you wait about 5m and then do 15-20m of LISS to burn off those FFAs and to get the blood recirculating. If you just stop flat when you're done, that puts a lot of strain on your heart. Always walk/jog it out when you're done with HIIT for that reason. You probably know that but a lot of people don't.

rich_py
05-10-2009, 01:17 PM
tabata is hardcore, i run, well sprint for 20 seconds and walk for 10 seconds 8 times over on a field near where i live, howver gypsy took over the field last week so i had to run on the road which i guess im not used to, anyway long story short i end up at the doctors finding out i have a "shin splint" which apprently is some kind chip to the shin bone.
tabata really did kick my ass

cphafner
05-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I would just keep carb cycling for a little longer. I'm have the same knee issues, so just doing low intensity on the elliptical. If you can't handle the hiit, then low and slow is the best for burning fat/sparing muscle imo.

KingJustin
05-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Now that I've read the Tabata study (other thread) I don't know why the 20:10 for 4 minutes thing is so damn popular. The study didn't compare Tabata results to anything except LISS, and (AFAIK) it was only measuring performance and not fat loss.
I think the other thread gives reasons why the protocol isn't the best, so I won't repeat them here. But, definitely add lots of LISS. It's boring and time consuming as hell, but that's the way to go. Just sit on the bike for 90 minutes and do what you can. Best to do this after your interval work.

Maybe add a good thermogenic. And if you don't think your current carb cycling approach is working, maybe try something more crazy, like PSMF + Refeeds? I tried that, and it was amazing.

ZenMonkey
05-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Maybe you should fix the IT band issue while you are at it. Foam roll the f out of it. That is how I cleared up my knee issues.

cphafner
05-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Maybe you should fix the IT band issue while you are at it. Foam roll the f out of it. That is how I cleared up my knee issues.

Yeah that helps a lot.

vdizenzo
05-11-2009, 05:48 AM
You could also use the stick on your IT bands. This reminds me to get back to tabata. I was doing it once a week. I did squats (bodyweight--no bar), push ups, jumping jacks, and crunches. Definitely a tough way to spend 4 minutes.

Brad08
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Pick up Lyle McDonald's Stubborn Fat Solution book . It tells you how to lose those last few lbs and get seriously lean (<10%) while maintaining muscle.

Also, ephedrine caffeine stack.

jay24k
05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
To get those last few, I don't think any workout is going to change your results. You just gotta drop the calories. Is strength going to take a hit? Quite possibly. I had the same issue you did. I was stuck at 212 for about 3 months. I was eating about 2500 a day. I upped it to about 3K a day for a week. Then I slammed it extremely hard dropping calories between 2000 to 2200 and having a cheat day on Sundays. After 4 weeks I was down about 10 pounds and saw amazing results. To change it up (read up on it if you do it), I started the EC stack. I'm down to 199 now although on a my off day I don't weigh in I was 197. I'm planning on doing the EC stack for 6 weeks. Then I'll up my calories again to 3K to get my metabolism back. Then hit it one last time if needed. At 199, I was at about 14 to 15 body fat. My goal is 10% so I'm guessing about 187 to 188. I've not noticed a change in strength although my bench has not increased. My arms did though.

I lift hard 3X a week and do a medium intensity run of 3 to 4 miles 5 times a week. I'm 6-2 btw if you want to compare.

MadScientist
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Drink 3 gals of water per day

at least 2 gal of ice water.

It takes 1kCal to raise 1L of water by 1 degree F

Thats science, google it.

Therefore it takes 242 kCals to raise 1 gallon of water from 32 degs to 98 degs. In all actuality the metabolic cost of processing water is higher, as no machine is perfect, not even the human body has 100% efficiency; but lets stick to our formula.

So down 3 gals per day (an extra 2 gals of ice water) throughout the day and you will increase your metabolism by 500 kcals /day. This is in comparison to drinking 1 gal of water.

Pimpstick
05-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Thats science, google it.

Therefore it takes 242 kCals to raise 1 gallon of water from 32 degs to 98 degs. In all actuality the metabolic cost of processing water is higher, as no machine is perfect, not even the human body has 100% efficiency; but lets stick to our formula.

So down 3 gals per day (an extra 2 gals of ice water) throughout the day and you will increase your metabolism by 500 kcals /day. This is in comparison to drinking 1 gal of water.

Am I the only one that doesn't think this will work? You're telling me that a person with a maintenance caloric intake of 2000 can increase their metabolism 25% simply from drinking more water?

Have you ever measured the temperature of your urine coming out? How do you know all the heat transfer to your urine is from a metabolic increase specifically to heat your piss? Why do you feel colder when you drink a lot of ice water? You wouldn't feel colder if your body could magically regulate its metabolism up 25% to heat the water in your belly.

MadScientist
05-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Calories are energy, energy is heat. Your maintenance cals are specifically how many cals it takes to keep you at 98.6 plus all the other factors

The other factors being somewhat less important as dropping to 92 or so for any period of time causes permanent stiffness of the muscles <- thats a joke.

Cool your body down, whether by naked snow angels or ice water

Increases the amount of calories your body will use to keep you warm.

ZenMonkey
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Regardless if it works or not it is arbitrary. 3 gallons a day is crazy and Ill bet you pee/puke it all up before you get any real benefits. I also imagine youd be pretty miserable.

Pimpstick
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Regardless if it works or not it is arbitrary. 3 gallons a day is crazy and Ill bet you pee/puke it all up before you get any real benefits. I also imagine youd be pretty miserable.

Must be pretty easy if you've got a self-proclaimed 650 pound bench press max and weigh over 350 pounds ;)

twm
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM

I've read of this before and its 1 degree C not F, making the kcal usage about 120 kcal/gallon. this isnt an agreeable solution for me, ty tho.

I'm running maintenance cals for 6 days then starting UD2.0 if anyone is interested. probably at least 6 weeks but no more than 8 weeks.

ZenMonkey
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I've read of this before and its 1 degree C not F, making the kcal usage about 120 kcal/gallon. this isnt an agreeable solution for me, ty tho.

I'm running maintenance cals for 6 days then starting UD2.0 if anyone is interested. probably at least 6 weeks but no more than 8 weeks.

Good luck man. Remember, itll be over soon enough. Youre gonna have to post some update photos.

twm
05-19-2009, 04:24 PM
appreciate, i definitely will. i'm excited to be close to finishing.. then fattening back up! but I will be much more precise in my next bulk. its too much ache to diet from a high BF%. I learned the hard way about counting cals and partitioning, but learned never the less.

ZenMonkey
05-19-2009, 04:39 PM
appreciate, i definitely will. i'm excited to be close to finishing.. then fattening back up! but I will be much more precise in my next bulk. its too much ache to diet from a high BF%. I learned the hard way about counting cals and partitioning, but learned never the less.

Yea. I did the same thing. Im recomping right now so I can do a spot on bulk. F cutting. :)