PDA

View Full Version : strength quest

Ryan R.
04-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I am new to the forum and wanted to get some feedback from all the great knowledge here. My goals are to squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press as much as possible. I would also like to compete in raw meets. I was looking into trying the wendler 5/3/1 program. I wanted to know the recommendations for a raw lifter as far as training programs go. Any help is much appreciated.

tomv
04-27-2009, 04:55 AM
Depends on your experience. If you're brand new to the game, a lot of people will recommend rippetoe's starting strength. Very popular routine that has proven itself many times. Also, not sure at what weight you aim to compete at but... if you simply want to move as much weight as possible you better get eating :).

Ryan R.
04-27-2009, 09:16 PM
I have been lifting for 8 years seriously but I just got the strength bug about a year ago. I have been doing research and I'm doing a westside split right now. I was reading that westside training is geared for equipped lifters more than raw. Is this the case and if so what is the best training for raw lifting. As far as weight goes I'm 225 pounds right now and would want to compete at 220.

tomv
04-28-2009, 06:22 AM
I think there's another thread floating around currently discussing the best routine for Raw PL gains. I seem to remember most people suggesting Wendler's 5/3/1, Starting Strength or Westside. I'm by no means experienced in the field however so I wouldn't put too much stock in my advice :).

There are plenty of journals of some very strong people over in the journal section that you could maybe have a peek at and talk shop with the guys?

tomv
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124060

Raw routine thread.