PDA

View Full Version : how heavy should my tire be?

the one
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
i plan on getting a tire for flips but not sure how heavy i should go.. im 6'5 270 and my deadlift is at about 405 for 6-10...any idea?
thanks

vdizenzo
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
If it's just for some gpp work I'd say between 400-500lbs. Mine is only 400 so my wife can flip it too. She's pretty bad ass. It's light but it gets my heart rate up quickly.

ZenMonkey
04-27-2009, 04:43 PM
I got a tire that was 160% of my 1RM deadlift. When I was in good condition I could get 3sets of 3 flips...barely.

They say you should be able to flip a tire once that is 200% of your 1RM DL.

the one
04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
awesome thanks guys....sorry not sure what gpp stands for. id like to incorporate it to help with size and power in legs and back

the one
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
nevermind just read sticky

martin
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
They say you should be able to flip a tire once that is 200% of your 1RM DL.

Really? Wow, that's pretty mean.

We got a 400-500ish lbs tyre and it's hard enough work.

I've pulled over 700...

tomv
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Really? Wow, that's pretty mean.

We got a 400-500ish lbs tyre and it's hard enough work.

I've pulled over 700...

That's crazy man I can flip a tyre that's about 400-440lbs and I can only DL about 330lbs. I find flipping much easier than lifting.

ZenMonkey
05-04-2009, 08:46 PM
Thats weird to me. I had a 1RM DL at about 475 and could flip a 700lb tire for 3x3... probably more but I never kept trying to flip after throwing up :)

KingJustin
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
We had a 500 lb tire at my old gym. We had a few people flip it 30 times in a reasonable amount of time, and a couple girls flipped it a couple times (all individually). None of these people were enormous or anything. 175-200% 1rm deadlift seems reasonable.

Guido
05-05-2009, 08:25 AM
We have a 530lb tire over by the local high school that we've used and it isn't that hard at all. I could probably flip it about 15-20 times without dying. My wife can almost flip it, too, and her DL max is around 350. So I'd say anything from 450-550lbs would be a good size to start with.

Tom Mutaffis
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
The One - I would say that a 500 lbs tire is the standard for conditioning. At your height / weight that should be a fairly easy tire for you once you get a hang of the technique.

When picking out your tire you should look for one that when laying flat on the ground has about 1" between the tread and the ground. This will enable you to get your hands under the tire which is very important for safety.

As you become comfortable with the tire you can always stuff 5-6 small car tires inside of the 500 lbs tire to increase the overall weight to 600+ lbs. You can also learn to "one-motion" flip the tire where you explode off of the ground and do not use your knee.

**Make sure that you are not "deadlifting" the tire but instead hitting the tire like a football sled. Feet back and drive your chest into the tire. You should not be lifting it with your arms or standing directly over the tire - this can lead to serious injury. You may also want to use a pine tar towel on your hands or football gloves to make sure that you have a good grip on the tire. Never flip a tire in the rain.

tomv
05-05-2009, 04:26 PM
**Make sure that you are not "deadlifting" the tire but instead hitting the tire like a football sled. Feet back and drive your chest into the tire. You should not be lifting it with your arms or standing directly over the tire - this can lead to serious injury. You may also want to use a pine tar towel on your hands or football gloves to make sure that you have a good grip on the tire. Never flip a tire in the rain.

Interesting that you say that Tom, I've been doing tire flips recently and I'm not sure I've been doing it with the correct form. Do you think you'd have a video anywhere of tireflip technique? How can one injure themselves by "deadlifting" the tire? Please note, I'm not doubting your knowledge just curious for more info.

ZenMonkey
05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Im sure hands could easily get crushed. I know when I used to wrestle the 700lber I had I was always kinda nervous about how well I was controlling it... if it fell on me it would hurt.

Tom Mutaffis
05-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Interesting that you say that Tom, I've been doing tire flips recently and I'm not sure I've been doing it with the correct form. Do you think you'd have a video anywhere of tireflip technique? How can one injure themselves by "deadlifting" the tire? Please note, I'm not doubting your knowledge just curious for more info.

I do have some videos on my computer and will post one up here later on.

The biggest risk with tire flipping is a ruptured (torn) biceps tendon. This can easily happen if you are trying to lift the tire with your arms, or if one of your hands slips off of the implement during the lift. Unfortunately I have witnessed this at a few strongman contests.

Attached a couple of photos but it is not a great camera angle. That is me setting up on and flipping a 1,100 lbs tire in the first two, and then a 700 lbs tire in the second picture - notice how far back my left leg is in the last picture and how I am leveraging myself into the tire.

the one
05-06-2009, 02:49 PM
awesome info Tom i appreciate it....ps i love the dude with the beard in the background of the last pic. again very informative cant wait to actually go and get my tire

Pimpstick
05-06-2009, 03:04 PM
awesome info Tom i appreciate it....ps i love the dude with the beard in the background of the last pic. again very informative cant wait to actually go and get my tire

I kinda liked the "why are we here?" look from the two little dudes in pic #2.

Good lifting Tom!