PDA

View Full Version : How many PL'ers do not use ANY supplements

jmccown
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I am presently one of them. Don't get me wrong, I have used various supplements in the past like creatine and NO, but not enough to say that I use it regularly. I just ordered some creatine 500 that I am going to commit myself to taking on a regular basis and see how my gains go. My only supplements up to this point have been steak and chicken :)

MarcusWild
04-27-2009, 11:19 AM
My guess would be very few successful ones. Micro lactin and glucosamine are the two best things I take. It keeps my joints healthy which I feel is the key.

JK1
04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
I am presently one of them. Don't get me wrong, I have used various supplements in the past like creatine and NO, but not enough to say that I use it regularly. I just ordered some creatine 500 that I am going to commit myself to taking on a regular basis and see how my gains go. My only supplements up to this point have been steak and chicken :)

I'm not a big fan of supplements. I personally think its 93.9% BS that started with Weider and has been perpetuated with MuscleTech. Its all marketing and manipulation to tap into the greatest ergogenic aide there is---the brain. Convince someone that a pill will add 5 lbs on their bench, and they will bench 5 lbs more. They could eat horsecrap, it doesn't matter, they'll bench more if they think they can.

That said, there is no way I could eat the protein I do in a day without a good protein powder. I have pretty much had protein powder in some form every day over the last 15 years. I'm actually seriously considering switching to Nitrean--I'm just trying to use up the stores I've got before I switch.

I think a multivitamin isn't a bad idea because lets face it, most Americans eat crap most of the time. Even the "healthy food" from the store is sometimes hidden crap. Its also fun to watch Centrum pass all the way through.

After my wife published her study on Omega 3's in equine chondrocytes, I have become a HUGE fan of fish oil and flax oil as an Omega 3 FA source. I know if I take 6-8 grams a day, my knees and elbows don't ache. The thing is you need a few grams a day to have an effect.

I think there has been good research and benefits from creatine. IF you are one of the people who can take it. For me, its the best laxative ever. I've crapped a small fortune out on different creatine supplements over the years. They all work very well as a laxative.

The new NO bandwagon is mostly BS in my opinion. Every one of those supplements that I'm aware of has at least 200 mg of caffiene in it per serving. Thats the source of the "rush" not the other crap but thats a whole other rant. Drink two cups of coffee and go lift, you'll more than likely have the same effects.

Sorry to diverge. I'm a powerlifter and I take dietary supplements. I'm also probably one of the biggest critics of most of the stuff out there.

JK1
04-27-2009, 11:40 AM
My guess would be very few successful ones. Micro lactin and glucosamine are the two best things I take. It keeps my joints healthy which I feel is the key.

What source are you using for Microlactin? thats one of the osteoarthritis supplements in the pet trade thats had mixed results... (like perna canniculus derived GAGs) where the ones that it seems to have worked on it works very well but on others, there isn't a noticable effect.

MarcusWild
04-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I just buy it straight in a pill. There are quite a few companies that make it. At Large's ETS has 2g of it per serving, and a lot of people say great stuff about ETS. Maybe Chris can comment on that. I know he thoroughly researches his products. There's obviously a reason he's putting it in there.

I've heard great stuff about Cissus. One of my training partners takes it. He was having pretty bad tendonitis in his elbows and it completely went away.

chris mason
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
I just buy it straight in a pill. There are quite a few companies that make it. At Large's ETS has 2g of it per serving, and a lot of people say great stuff about ETS. Maybe Chris can comment on that. I know he thoroughly researches his products. There's obviously a reason he's putting it in there.

I've heard great stuff about Cissus. One of my training partners takes it. He was having pretty bad tendonitis in his elbows and it completely went away.'

Actually, ETS has 4g of Microlactin(R) per serving.

Microlactin(R) for joint health purposes works for most because it has an anti-inflammatory effect. It does not rehab the joint, it helps to reduce joint pain. It is also a solid ergogen in terms of improving recovery from intense exercise.

SELK
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
creatine, fish oil, protein poweder (when i cant get enough from food) is all i use, and i think thats more then many.

Travis Bell
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I honestly swear by ETS. It was one of the supplements I bought myself for years before being sponsored.

Actually, as a result of a conversation with Chris this weekend, I've gotten back on taking lots of fish oil too.

Also agree with JK1, there is no way I'd be able to get the proper amount of protein in per day if I didn't use a protein powder. One of the things that I really enjoy about AtLarge Nutrition is that I trust Chris and Daniel's research implicitly. I've seen first hand the amount of time they put into making sure a supplement that they produce does everything it's supposed to. That's why I believe it's such a great company. Knowing these guys personally, the more it's become obvious to me that their goal is to bring the best supplements to the market, not just make a quick buck like some other companies.

BFGUITAR
04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
The only supplement I can see every serious athlete/powerlifter using is protein powder. It' just food, simple as that.

Fish oils among every supplement have not only been proven to work in the lab, but they work very very well. There is a lot of data to back up the health benefits of fish oil and anyone serious about health let alone performance should consider fish oils. I bought half a liter of fish oil for 40 bucks Canadian, it will last me quite a long time lol.

Everything else out there doesn't have as much as an effect as the above two. Creatine works, but the extent of that is perhaps an 11th rep in your workout as opposed to 10. You really have to ask yourself if that makes the difference for you.

Caffeine and ephedrine is great for a boost of energy. A serious athlete doesn't always feel pumped for a workout every workout they have. These drugs may give you that boost.

MarcusWild
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks Chris. I knew you'd be able to explain it well.

Guido
04-27-2009, 02:45 PM
creatine, fish oil, protein poweder (when i cant get enough from food) is all i use, and i think thats more then many.Same here. That's all I take though I've taken ETS in the past, too, with good results when I needed extra recovery capabilites during especially hard training periods.

Lones Green
04-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Fish oil helps my joints from aching for sure.

I supplement with around 200 g of Nitrean a day, If I planned on getting as much protein from whole foods only, I'd be eating CONSTANTLY. I have 4 whole food meals plus 4 protein shakes per day (mixed with ground up oatmeal and a couple handfuls of almonds) I switch between those and MAXIMUS shakes. I like switching up the flavors plus I get the benefit of the Microlactin when I start back up on MAXIMUS.

I can tell a difference when I'm not on creatine, I've tried ditching it. Its cheap as well. RESULTS works well, but I cycle that as well. Most of the time I save it for training for a meet.

There are endless studies on the individual vitamins and minerals in a multivitamin. Cheap as well, so why not?

Thats the extent of my supplement usage, maybe an energy drink here and there.

jbrin0tk
04-27-2009, 05:53 PM
I take fish oil daily, creatine, a multivitamin (not sure if that really counts), and the occasional protein powder shake or bar. I, too, have found a big difference in taking fish oil.

Pete22
04-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I take fish oil daily, creatine, a multivitamin (not sure if that really counts), and the occasional protein powder shake or bar. I, too, have found a big difference in taking fish oil.

Same here, but I drink my whey pretty consistently.

mosley1990
04-27-2009, 06:51 PM
i use to take a few things but, now days its just straight up food haha. maybe i need to load up on some AtLarge products and give them a go! i sure could use the fat loss stack.

slashkills
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I honestly swear by ETS. It was one of the supplements I bought myself for years before being sponsored.

Actually, as a result of a conversation with Chris this weekend, I've gotten back on taking lots of fish oil too.

Also agree with JK1, there is no way I'd be able to get the proper amount of protein in per day if I didn't use a protein powder. One of the things that I really enjoy about AtLarge Nutrition is that I trust Chris and Daniel's research implicitly. I've seen first hand the amount of time they put into making sure a supplement that they produce does everything it's supposed to. That's why I believe it's such a great company. Knowing these guys personally, the more it's become obvious to me that their goal is to bring the best supplements to the market, not just make a quick buck like some other companies.

Travis, do you take creatine or beta alanine(sp?)

Travis Bell
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Travis, do you take creatine or beta alanine(sp?)

You bet! Both of those are in Results. I've seen some excellent strength gains from Results

rctriplefresh5
04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
just take milk...does that count as a supp.

jmccown
04-27-2009, 07:53 PM
best cheap form of protein I've found is the cans of Tyson cooked chunk chicken, has about 69g of protein at 300 calories, little high in sodium, but for the protein I think it's worth it. Only $2 at wally world. I'll usually eat these for lunch.

vdizenzo
04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Protein for building, carbs for glycogen replenishment, fish oil, ETS, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm, and a multivitamin for my overall health and joints. When I get closer to a competition I include creatine. With the exception of the gluc/chond/msm AtLargeNutrition does a great job with satisfying these needs. I am going to throw in a plug for them because they offer a no nonsense line. I know it looks like I take a lot of supplements, but they are not overkill. I look at the supplement lines of some of the companies out there and I can't believe the garbage they are selling and promoting. ALN has done a great job of not preying on their customers with all kinds of hyped up products. Many props to Chris and Daniel.

Lastly the above list is what I have been taking for almost a decade. They are a part of my program and have helped me remain a top bench presser for a long time. The only new thing I have added in recent years is ETS and I sure wish that stuff had been around longer. If you train hard and beat the hell out of yourself you should try it. Give it a month and you will surely tell a difference.

mattdunkin
04-28-2009, 03:23 AM
For the most part the only supplement I take is Animal Pak and some generic Vivarin for some caffeine pre-training.I have spent countless dollars over these 20plus years in the gym and when I was bodybuilding was spending way too much money on stuff just to possibly eek out another inch on my arms.Now I just eat tons of food,but am also on a pretty restrcited income.If I had more cash I'd definitely be using a protein powder for extra protein,but for the most part,most supps are b.s-the AtLarge line is great from the feedback I've heard and I really respect Chris for all he has given back to the sport.

Detard
04-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but do Olive oil and flax oil have the same effect as fish oil? Helps keep the joints strong and healthy?

As for me, I just take protein and sometimes I throw in a couple scoops of a meal replacement powder at the end of the day for the extra calories