PDA

View Full Version : Belt for meet

Andre518
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Hey I was wondering if you could give me some info I plan on doing a IPA meet in oct. and was wondering if the belt Im using now would be ok or would I need to get a different one.

This is what I have been using.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/harbelt.html

KarstenDD
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Probably not. I don't think velcro belts fly many places.

HP666
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey I was wondering if you could give me some info I plan on doing a IPA meet in oct. and was wondering if the belt Im using now would be ok or would I need to get a different one.

This is what I have been using.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/harbelt.html

I would NOT use that belt in a meet.

If money is NOT an issue look at these:

http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_belts.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=&txtsearchParamCat=8&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1 (you want the forever)

If money IS an issue, these are great:
http://www.titansupport.com/products/belts/toro2.htm

If THAT is too much, look at these:
http://www.titansupport.com/products/belts/toro.htm (4x4)

All good belts. I know a guy personally who used the cheapest belt I listed here and he regularly squatted 600-700 lb range and DL 500-600 lbs and he liked the belt. BUT, I would spend the money on the Inzer as it will stay with you forever. (no pun intended)

Robert Crawford
04-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I like Bob Morris' belts. Bob sews the original powerlifting belt, and he has made 20 or 25 of them for me since the late 1970's. See Bob's web site.

I have a lever which I've used for 30 years to tighten the belts so that I don't need three big guys to tug on the belt.

Bob's three- color belts are especially nice.

Robert Crawford

Andre518
04-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Right now money is a little tight I still have to get a IPA membership, entry fee and a singlet. So I may opt for a cheaper belt at this time. How will the feel of a powerlifting belt differ from the one I am using now besides the tightness? Also after looking through the IPA rules a little closer tonight I found this for the RAW competitors:

4. A belt may be worn on the outside of the lifting suit. Maximum width of the belt is not to exceed 4 1/2; inches. Thickness of the belt may not exceed 1/2 inch. There are no other restrictions, including material construction of the belt.

My current belt is 5"

This is the singlet I plan on getting I never wore one before should I practice lifting in it before the meet if so how far in advance should I start?

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/125709

Thanks again guys for all the help.

Beefcaker
04-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm not sure about your specific belt, but I have never found a velcro belt that was worth anything. Every single one I have put on, I can make the velcro come loose by pushing my stomach out really hard. This means to me that the belt doesn't work. Also, it's seems to be quite a bit narrower in the front than in the back. I'm no expert, but I believe that works against what the belt is meant for. I went from a Velcro BS belt to an Inzer Economy belt and I'm happy with it.

Detard
04-28-2009, 07:59 AM
A singlet is just regular material. It shouldnt be much different than when you lift in shorts and a tshirt. MAke sure you read all the rules carefully. I almost couldnt lift my first meet because I didnt have long socks (IPF rules).

Andre518
04-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Will do Detard Im thinking of printing them out so that I can go over them here and there. Should I know all the rules and by-laws?

Tom Mutaffis
04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
APT belts are great if you are looking for something sturdy but also competitively priced. They have some strong 11mm 4" powerlifting belts for about $40 on there if you use the 15% off discount code.

Depending on your lifts you may even be fine with a regular "sports authority" type of belt if you are looking to save money, or just borrow one from a friend for the meet.

Good luck!

Andre518
04-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the tips Tom I think I will look at the APT belts I would like to have my own and get use to using it before the meet. Unfortunately I do not have any friends that are PL's to barrow one from but 40-50 bucks I should be able to swing for one. Thanks again Tom and everyone else for all the help! :thumbup:

Reko
04-28-2009, 11:01 AM
A singlet is just regular material. It shouldnt be much different than when you lift in shorts and a tshirt. MAke sure you read all the rules carefully. I almost couldnt lift my first meet because I didnt have long socks (IPF rules).

Apparently you can't wear a long sleeve shirt under your singlet either.

Tom Mutaffis
04-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the tips Tom I think I will look at the APT belts I would like to have my own and get use to using it before the meet. Unfortunately I do not have any friends that are PL's to barrow one from but 40-50 bucks I should be able to swing for one. Thanks again Tom and everyone else for all the help! :thumbup:

See if you can get the code from the back of Powerlifting USA magazine - will give you 15% off of your order along with a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. This should help to offset some of the cost of the singlet/belt and also give you some wraps for the meet.

Detard
04-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Apparently you can't wear a long sleeve shirt under your singlet either.

Nope. And it has to be a plain white shirt or the meet shirt. I was informed we were getting shirts, so I didnt bring a white one. Turns out, we got towels instead but luckily I was wearing one as an undershirt that day.

SELK
04-28-2009, 12:09 PM
I suggest buying a decent belt (apt, inzer etc) as it will last you forever.

Ive had the same inzer belt for like 3-4 years and apart from a few scuffs, it works like new.

evilxxx
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
I suggest buying a decent belt (apt, inzer etc) as it will last you forever.

Ive had the same inzer belt for like 3-4 years and apart from a few scuffs, it works like new.

yes I got a blue and a black 10mm just to have 2 different settings (lever belts) one is 6 and the other one is almost 7 years old and they both feel like new.

KarstenDD
04-28-2009, 02:52 PM
See if you can get the code from the back of Powerlifting USA magazine - will give you 15% off of your order along with a free pair of 12" wrist wraps. This should help to offset some of the cost of the singlet/belt and also give you some wraps for the meet.

Also, the top right corner of PLwatch.

Ryano
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I think APT belts are probably the best value for your $. I personally use the Toro lever belt, but thats for "bench only". Make sure you get some good wraps too. APT has them also. Don't use a velcro belt. Even if it is legal, you don't want it popping loose on your BIG PR lift! Good luck.

Andre518
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I've been using Harbinger Power Knee Wraps but found out knee wraps are not allowed for RAW lifter in the IPA. I also have Schiek Wrist Wraps that I have been using for a couple of weeks on my heavier benches.