PDA

View Full Version : Questions on gaining weight

rminor
04-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Okay, First, let me explain my build.

I will be 22 on May27th, I am 5'11 and weigh roughly 130Lbs...Give or take.

As you can tell, I am tall and lanky with very little body fat.

I recently started working out and drinking protein shakes every day before and after I work out and even on days in between, where I have little to no muscular activity.

I have an extremely fast metabolism. I'm sure that's obvious. I heard there are two different types of ways to gain weight. One way is just putting on pounds of fat...By eating unhealthy fattening foods..And then eatng foods with a lot of protein to gain muscle weight.

Now to my question. I know I don't wanna put on fatty pounds...I'm not even sure it's possible for my body to do that. So what is the best way for me to gain weight? I don't consume that much protein a day. I probably consume a standard 80g's a day depending on what I stuff my face with.

It's been a week and I already feel better about myself and my body...But will all this protein help someone like me put on muscle weight or any weight at all?

My main goal is to put on weight, and weight in general. I am puney and get picked on a lot about how scrawny I am :/...So not only do I wanna gain weight so that I feel better and look better..But also so people take me a bit more serious than my physique lets off. I think I overworked my arms. Before 3 days ago I mostly hang around my house and hardly do much. But when I started working out, I went full on until my arms and legs couldn't go any further. Then I took a days break and did it again the day after...And now my arms are hurting. They've been sore and hurting for 3 days now. I assume I did too much in such a short amount of time and put my muscles in shock. So, I guess that means I need to take baby steps until my body works up to the stress level or working out 4 days a week.

So what can I do? Is there anything special I should be consuming? Am I doing fine with the protein intake and just give it a couple of months and see how it goes? I'm not really sure where I'm going with all of this cause I don't have any weight training roll models or guides...I'm a bit...of a recluse XD

Well...Thanks to anyone who helps and I'm sorry if this seems a bit long or in the wrong forum catagory.

Mercuryblade
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm probably even supposed to be skinnier than you are. I used to be about an inch shorter and only 110lbs (I'm 5'11"). I'm now 165lbs, not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but it's still 55lbs and 50% bigger than I once was.

Almost everything you need to know can be found here: read the articles in the diet & nutrition section, and the supplements section: http://www.wannabebig.com

This routine will give you a great starting point http://www.wannabebig.com/training/routines/wannabebig-11-an-improved-routine/

If you have any more specific questions after reading those tabs feel free to ask.

Trainwreck
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
If your goal is to put on muscle (which it is) then 80g of protein is not enough. Most people suggest 1.25 to 1.5 g of protein per lb of body weight to bulk. I would suggest you figure out what your maintenance is by tracking your eating habits for a week or two, once you've figured that out then you can start to shape your diet around those numbers.
There are lots of threads filled with valuable information on bulking around here, take the time to read through some of them.

rminor
04-28-2009, 06:04 AM
If your goal is to put on muscle (which it is) then 80g of protein is not enough. Most people suggest 1.25 to 1.5 g of protein per lb of body weight to bulk. I would suggest you figure out what your maintenance is by tracking your eating habits for a week or two, once you've figured that out then you can start to shape your diet around those numbers.
There are lots of threads filled with valuable information on bulking around here, take the time to read through some of them.

XD That sucks.

Well do you or anyone know what a good supplement or protein shake/brand I should consider? Right now I am just using your basic GNC 17g protein complex mix.

I'm guessing that's a bit weak for what I need. See the thing is that I am always on the move and I don't eat that much and when I do it's usually something quick and totally random. I can't recall when i've eaten the same thing twice in one week. And I would hardly call the food I eat hearty or high on the protein side.(No I'm not a fastfood junky)

Pimpstick
04-28-2009, 06:16 AM
Buy some Maximus, www.atlargenutrition.com

Take a serving or two a day on top of your regular diet. This will help you gain weight.

VikingWarlord
04-28-2009, 06:40 AM
I'm guessing that's a bit weak for what I need. See the thing is that I am always on the move and I don't eat that much and when I do it's usually something quick and totally random. I can't recall when i've eaten the same thing twice in one week. And I would hardly call the food I eat hearty or high on the protein side.(No I'm not a fastfood junky)

Well then you need to spend time thinking and planning better. Everyone that says he doesn't have time is a lying bastard. There is always time to do anything you really want to do.

Prepare a bunch of food ahead of time, portion it out, and carry a cooler with you. You'll look like an idiot but screw what other people think.

J.C.
04-28-2009, 07:09 AM
If you are really new to the game, then the best thing you can do is go buy a copy of the book "Starting Strength" - it will teach you how to perform all the exercises, make you a lot stronger, and hopefully motivate you into gaining confidence in yourself.

If you are unsure about diet and are hoping that drinking a few protein shakes now and then is going to miraculously work, then you need to take some time and look at your diet - learn to cook a few decent meals and make sure you are eating significantly more than usual. If you start eating four big meals a day, that will have a much greater effect than simply drinking a protein shake after your workout and having a poor diet the rest of the time.

Although you don't want to put on any fat, I'd say that at your build you're unlikely to put on very much at all as long as you work out hard enough at the gym. You even say yourself "I'm not even sure it's possible for my body to do that." So why not just push it, and start eating? Make the most of it and see how much muscle you can gain before you start putting on fat?

Beef and milk my friend, beef and milk...

Big Jay
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
I am 5'11 and weigh roughly 130Lbs.
Being skinny sucks. I'm 2 inches taller and used to be 3 lbs lighter lol

I heard there are two different types of ways to gain weight. One way is just putting on pounds of fat...By eating unhealthy fattening foods..And then eatng foods with a lot of protein to gain muscle weight.
Calories are important. you can eat high amounts of protein and workout, but if you're not eating enough calories, you won't gain weight.

See the thing is that I am always on the move and I don't eat that much and when I do it's usually something quick and totally random. I can't recall when i've eaten the same thing twice in one week.
Search on here for what snacks people eat, things like nuts are high in cals and protein. I take 30 mins every sunday and plan out what i'm gonna eat in the week as I'm lazy and unless its all planned out for me my diet goes to crap
you also need get a good work out program: Like drummer said, this is an excellent book for beginners http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-2nd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0976805421.
and if you can... drink ALOT of milk.

Unreal
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Calories is what causes weight gain. Good workouts hopefully make your body want to build muscle instead of fat.

rminor
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
o-o Wow there is a lot more involved than I thought. I have a lot to consider and start planning out.

The person who replied about just eating and eating but keeping a good workout may work to my benefit. I mean, if it fails...I'll prolly gain hardly any fatty weight anyways, which can prolly just get worked off easy with my metabolism and workout.

So I guess I'll start drinking a ton of whole milk and eating really hearty meals, along with the protein shakes. I'll prolly jump on this "wannabebig 1.1" routine when I get everything set in stone and in action.

(I had to break that link apart cause it won't let me post until I have posted 10 things on the forum)

XD I just wonder how things will be 2 months after doing this continuously. Would be a fun thing to try though.

I was reading the back of a cottage cheese container today when I was eating a baked potato and saw that it has 50-63g of protein in it o-o

Is there a reason no one, thus far, has suggested downing 1 serving of that a day? Tastes good and goes down easy, so why not?

VikingWarlord
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
My bet is that no one suggested it because it's covered in the thread at the top of the forum that says: "Sticky: <<< BodyBuilding & Weight Lifting FAQ - LOOK HERE before asking questions >>>".