PDA

View Full Version : Floor Presses

Fighter_15
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Where should I grip on floor presses? I did them a few weeks ago and I had my pinkie on the ring.

I'm doing them on a cycle for ME bench exercises. 1 a week.

2 board, floor presses, bench with mini bands, straight weight.

tnathletics2b
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
It's always been my opinion that it is a personal thing more suited to your body size. Me at 6' 2" is going to have a different grip that someone who is 5' 6" because my arms are longer, hands bigger, etc.

I would just experiment to see what works best for you.

barbell01
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
use various grips, prefferably your weak ones.

Travis Bell
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Use all the grips. Just using the one you're best at isn't going to make you get stronger

Rob Luyando
04-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Use all the grips. Just using the one you're best at isn't going to make you get stronger

I will argue with that all day long! I use floor press as an assitance work. All my pressing assitance work is done with a close grip. Isolates your long heads more and makes for a stronger lock out. But then again this works for me so that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Bottom line is try a variation of things to find what works best for you.

Travis Bell
04-28-2009, 08:56 PM
I will argue with that all day long! I use floor press as an assitance work. All my pressing assitance work is done with a close grip. Isolates your long heads more and makes for a stronger lock out. But then again this works for me so that doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Bottom line is try a variation of things to find what works best for you.

I think you and I are actually saying the same thing, I probably just worded it poorly.

You're doing close grip, which is probably weaker than your comp grip would be, or at least you use less weight than you would with comp grip.

In turn, your comp grip floor press will go up as a result of doing the close grip work.

Could not agree more though on your last point. Using a variation is key to training in my opinion.