PDA

View Full Version : Who Moved My Cheese?...My First Meet

jonke05
04-28-2009, 09:07 AM
I participated in my first meet this past weekend (APF Texas State (242, 40-44)), and have to start out by saying that I have not met a nicer bunch of folks than were competing this past weekend. While everyone was rushing around getting gear on, warm ups, etc...they did not hesitate to lend a hand as well as advice. As an older first-timer, it was greatly appreciated.

Nonetheless, I'll start out by stating that lifting in my gym is NOTHING like lifting at a meet...I was even convinced that they had "overfed" the weights...Also, I discovered why eating a good breakfast is important to your success at a meet...because I didn't (big lesson learned).

Also, I learned the importance of knowing other folks in your flight...yes, I did my squat warm-up with the flight in front of mine...

So, I get ready for my run at squat and feel weak, etc from not eating, just to realize as I pull the weight out of the rack that:

1. "This isn't my bar"
2. "Hey, this isn't my gym"
2. "Where's my mirror that I use to check my form?"
3. "Hey, where's my "spot" on the wall that I stare at"?

My stance was off, and I figure I forgot everything I knew about squat all in the span of a few seconds. Needless to say I bomb on squat for depth (judge said I was 1/2 an inch high each time). I will be putting covers on the squat rack from now on...there seems to be alot more "feel" required when doing this in an auditorium because the lack of visual cues...Sorry, no video (wife and girls hadn't shown up yet....not that they missed much).

Luckily I had signed up for the bench-only division as well and was able to continue. Regrouping (and eating) helped alot going into bench, however my form was nothing like what it was in training (again, brain-farts). I was able to get my opener at 440, but nothing above that (and my opener was "supposed" to be easy)....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zSlm3a8DuY

The nice folks at the meet let me participate in Deads (for the experience), which I figured would help. Again, hit my opener at 530 and learned the wisdom of taking your time at the bottom set-up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgTYEkfW3yM

All of this to say, "hats off" to those of you for whom the chaos of a meet is normal, boring, and everyday...And now I truly understand why it "doesn't count" until you step-up to the platform.

Well, off to Baton Rouge this weekend for my second meet and another chance to "ride the bull". This time I'll open (for all my lifts) with something that is not easy....but super-easy...now I get it.

drew
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Love the title.

Great job regardless of the bomb. It helps to have friends/training partners who have done it before to help you avoid the mistakes you made, but you learned the hard way. Any meet where you learn something is a good experience. It's almost better that you bombed rather than just got by.

UHCougar05
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
I must have missed you. I was on platform 2 Saturday. As long as it's a learning experience, then it wasn't a bad meet. Nice work and hope things are better for you in Bah-ton Rouge. :D

jonke05
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Love the title.

Great job regardless of the bomb. It helps to have friends/training partners who have done it before to help you avoid the mistakes you made, but you learned the hard way. Any meet where you learn something is a good experience. It's almost better that you bombed rather than just got by.

Thx for that. And agreed on the good experience...absolutely.

jonke05
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I must have missed you. I was on platform 2 Saturday. As long as it's a learning experience, then it wasn't a bad meet. Nice work and hope things are better for you in Bah-ton Rouge. :D

I was on platform 2 as well...flight 3...Looking forward to completing the meet next week!...thanks for the wishes!

mosley1990
04-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Congrats on your first meet! Reading this makes me have to strongly reconsider the weights i was planning on opening with on the 9th. Good luck with the next meet!

jonke05
04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Congrats on your first meet! Reading this makes me have to strongly reconsider the weights i was planning on opening with on the 9th. Good luck with the next meet!

Thanks, and please don't let this discourage you from what you are doing/planning. I just wanted to relay my personal experiences..."your actual mileage may vary".......

UHCougar05
04-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Congrats on your first meet! Reading this makes me have to strongly reconsider the weights i was planning on opening with on the 9th. Good luck with the next meet!Don't doubt your strength, but don't become overconfident in it either. I was told I left about 30-50 pounds on the platform my last meet, but that was because my squat was off my entire training cycle and I wasn't sure how the meet would go. Open light, then make the big jumps on your second and third attempts.