PDA

View Full Version : i really dont understand why my squats wont progress

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 02:07 PM
i really dont understand why my squats are so weak. i go ass to grass and i dont dive bomb them =( i cant ever progress on these. im thinking of dropping squats and deadlifts and just being a bench and curls guy. i know that i probably have weak hamstrings but when itry to correct thme i cant. for instance, i cant even sit back on my squats without falling back. ive tried box squatting, and the same thing happens. right now i squat best at closer than shoulder width and going ass to grass, however its apparanent if iever want to squat 3-4 plates im gonna need to get my hamstrings stronger. any tips on what i should do? also even if ianted to box squat im not sure id hit parallel because all i have to squat on is my bench. i can set it to a decline position though but then i fall on it and ****. if ican improve my leg stregth my total would skyrocket and my deadlift would go up as well.
btw my best squat atg is 260, and right now i can only get 250. and im not cryingeither my squats have been the same since like august

Sean S
04-28-2009, 03:07 PM
What is the layout of your current routine? What style of SQ are you trying to improve? Do you plan on competing? What is your height and weight? Answer these questions and people can give you more specific feedback. Your question is a little vague right now.

Edit: I noticed you linked to a workout log, but I would still include the above details in this thread for those that don't have time to go back and read through your log.

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
right now i basically work up to a heavy single. ive tried routines like 5x5 where you work up to a 5rm and i dint really like that. i am around 6'2 170 pounds, and im sure ill get the same generic response of just eat, but idl like to think i can get at least a 275 squat without gaining weight. i am trying to improve my olympic style squat and no i do not plan on competing. i mean i can bench more than i squat, and ican progress faster on bench than i can on squat. my form is just as strict on bench as it is on squats. and i dont even use leg drive, arched back or tucked elbows in my bench so i dont know why my squat hasnt caught up to my bench. ive been benching over 4 years though and squatting for as long a one year.

MarcusWild
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd do this. After you squat do either RDL, SLDL, dimmel deadlifts, or wide stance GMs as an accessory. For everything except dimmel's work up to a heavy set of 5-8 reps. Keep pushing that heavy set higher. Do the same after you deadlift. Always keep the exercises rotating.

Detard
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
TAke a video so we can see what your doing. From the sounds of it, your form is probably wack. Especially if you can do 275x22 on platform deadlifts. I dont think your hamstrings are your weak spot.

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
i do pulls on thursdays and squat twice a week shpould i just do the pulls on squatting days and not do pulls on thursdays
?

squatting days are mon and saturdays./

Travis Bell
04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
you should be pulling the same day you squat

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
i dont have a video camera, and lift at my house so i cant get videos.i squat with a very close stance somtimes closer than shoulder width(thats where i feel most comfortable) however i notice on the heavier weights i tend to slightly good morning the weights up. ive contributed this to being 6'2 and trying to be an atg squatter?

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
you should be pulling the same day you squat

well heres my current routine.
i do bench and squats on tuesday(i work up to a 2 rep max on benchincreasing the weight by 5 pounds a week, squats i work up to a single b/c i suck at life)

then thursdays i do my pulling

and saturdays i do bench and squats again.(i work up to a 2 rep max on benchincreasing the weight by 5 pounds a week, squats i work up to a single b/c i suck at life)

how should i change this up? im guessing i shouldnt be pulling twice a week?

and im not gonna lie ive always cared about benching the most. im not willing to sacrifice my bench by doing smolov or something to up my squat lol. im a bench whore.

Sean S
04-28-2009, 04:45 PM
My advice would be to get on some sort of established program (Westside, 5/3/1, etc...). Pick something and stay with it for a while. I've not seen many people who can work up and grind out a 1-2RM on the same exercise week after week and make good progress. One of these other programs would give you a more systematic approach to keep the gains coming over a longer period of time.
I wasn't able to SQ over 330# until I got above 220 lbs. at 6'1". If I were 170, I would barely be able to SQ my bodyweight.

slashkills
04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Your going heavy twice a week? That could be your problem then. Find a solid routine like westside or 5/3/1 like others said. Im going to be trying matt rhodes raw squat program. Ive heard good things about it.

Brian999
04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Same thing is happening with me man. My squat cant go up like my bench or deadlift. I think I may stop going ass to grass.

Sensei
04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm sure you could probably improve technique (as we all could), but, looking at your log of the last two weeks, I see three squat sessions and in every one of them you are basically working up to a max and that's it...

You need to back off and do some quality volume... It ain't rocket science.

HP666
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every time I recommended this to someone...read this.........
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/getting_ready.htm

And this......http://www.elitefts.com/documents/raw_squatting.htm

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm sure you could probably improve technique (as we all could), but, looking at your log of the last two weeks, I see three squat sessions and in every one of them you are basically working up to a max and that's it...

You need to back off and do some quality volume... It ain't rocket science.
elieve it or not i used to do a lot more volume and my bench was around 5 pounds higher than it is now last year and then stalled. so i finally took out all volume, and just do one heavy set and for the first time in a year im going up 5 pounds a week on bench. i will hit a pr for the first time in a year in to weeks lol. i will defiinately switch to a routine like westside once my bench stops progressing though. ive also got to wait a few weeks because im trying to fix my deadlift form. im also working up to a long term goal of hitting 315x20 reps off of a 4 inch deficit and if i hit 285 on thursday i will have 40 more pounds to go which will take anywhere from 4-8 weeks assuming i dont stall.

Same thing is happening with me man. My squat cant go up like my bench or deadlift. I think I may stop going ass to grass.

yeah man id hate to do that though. theres nothing like going ass to grass.

Auburn
04-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Squats and deadlifts are genuinely hard work. Some people aren't cut out for hard work.

Sensei
04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
RC,
Look, I hate to sound like a conceited prick, but I think there is a need - you are looking for excuses. I gave you essentially the same advice in this thread which you summarily dismissed just as you are here.
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123090

You don't need more box squats or sumo deadlifts or DLs to improve your squat, YOU NEED TO SQUAT MORE PURE AND SIMPLE. You say you "didn't really like 5x5"? Well fine, then do heavy triples or sets of 6 or 7... it doesn't matter, but get in some quality volume for Christ's sake.

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
should i be squatting 3x a week? i elt overtrained doing that, so i cut it down to two times a week? would doing smolov for squats hinder my bench at all? for me personally ive always responded to a high percentage of my 1rm with lower volume. sheiko personally destroyed my lifts. what do you reccomend i start doing? i like the heavy triples idea though, but what would you qualify as heavy? like 230?

Detard
04-28-2009, 11:06 PM
RC,
Look, I hate to sound like a conceited prick, but I think there is a need - you are looking for excuses. I gave you essentially the same advice in this thread which you summarily dismissed just as you are here.
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123090

You don't need more box squats or sumo deadlifts or DLs to improve your squat, YOU NEED TO SQUAT MORE PURE AND SIMPLE. You say you "didn't really like 5x5"? Well fine, then do heavy triples or sets of 6 or 7... it doesn't matter, but get in some quality volume for Christ's sake.

Listen to the man.

Squat more. Stop working up to a single and failing. Drop the weight to 205-225 and do reps. Try 5x5 or 3x8 for 3 months, then take a light deload week, and then work your way up to a 1rm the following week. I'd be shocked if you didnt set a new PR.

Xellarz
04-28-2009, 11:09 PM
You definitely need to listen to Sensei. Get your volume up for a while. Try 8 sets of 3 or something. Also, get up a video of you squatting, work on your form (always)...and also help us out by letting us know what kind of a lifter you are - long legs, short legs, long torso, short torso...long femur?

Xellarz
04-28-2009, 11:11 PM
should i be squatting 3x a week? i elt overtrained doing that, so i cut it down to two times a week? would doing smolov for squats hinder my bench at all? for me personally ive always responded to a high percentage of my 1rm with lower volume. sheiko personally destroyed my lifts. what do you reccomend i start doing? i like the heavy triples idea though, but what would you qualify as heavy? like 230?

Don't do Smolov until you can atleast squat 315...or better - double bodyweight.

As for the triples, start out light...make sure you get ALL 8-10 sets of 3. Then bump the weight up in the following weeks.

Sensei
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Don't do Smolov. Squat 2x/week - once heavy, once medium. That's my suggestion.

For you, "heavy" should be 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps and they should be HARD. Your medium day should be 3 sets of 5-10 reps and they shouldn't be gut-bustingly hard, you should leave at least a rep or two in the tank with each set.

JMO.

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Don't do Smolov until you can atleast squat 315...or better - double bodyweight.

As for the triples, start out light...make sure you get ALL 8-10 sets of 3. Then bump the weight up in the following weeks.
smolov says 1.5 bw which im past but i do agree with you as its not neseccary for a squatter like myself lol.

Don't do Smolov. Squat 2x/week - once heavy, once medium. That's my suggestion.

For you, "heavy" should be 3-6 sets of 3-6 reps and they should be HARD. Your medium day should be 3 sets of 5-10 reps and they shouldn't be gut-bustingly hard, you should leave at least a rep or two in the tank with each set.

JMO.
ill reduce the weight to 225 for my heavy day. 225 for 3 reps should be pretty hard for me. if its not ill jsut oincrease it to 230 the next day. i guess ill drop the weight down to 205 on my medium day and do around 6 reps of that.

so i shouldnt be ramping the weights up? jsut do 3 sets of 225 on my heavy day after a warmup of 135? and 3 sets of 205 on my medium day after a warmup of 135? INYO do you feel i should increase weight each week?

Detard
04-28-2009, 11:42 PM
smolov says 1.5 bw which im past but i do agree with you as its not neseccary for a squatter like myself lol.

ill reduce the weight to 225 for my heavy day. 225 for 3 reps should be pretty hard for me. if its not ill jsut oincrease it to 230 the next day. i guess ill drop the weight down to 205 on my medium day and do around 6 reps of that.

so i shouldnt be ramping the weights up? jsut do 3 sets of 225 on my heavy day after a warmup of 135? and 3 sets of 205 on my medium day after a warmup of 135? INYO do you feel i should increase weight each week?

Try this next day

bar X whatever
135 x 5 - or whatever you need to get warmed up
185 x 5 - or whatever you need to get warmed up
205x6
205x6
205x6
205x6

if you get 6 reps in all 4 sets, next week up the weight to 210 and try the same thing, or 215.

rctriplefresh5
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
alright my next squatting dfay is on saturday so i guess i will make that my mediums day.i usually get tired from doing squats in general lol so i think im just going to fo bwx20(these dont tire me out for some reason) then 135x3 and then 185x4 then jump into my sets. i know by the last set or two 205 is going to feel hard.

gatorman2k6
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
alright my next squatting dfay is on saturday so i guess i will make that my mediums day.i usually get tired from doing squats in general lol so i think im just going to fo bwx20(these dont tire me out for some reason) then 135x3 and then 185x4 then jump into my sets. i know by the last set or two 205 is going to feel hard.

If you are only going to do 3 reps of 135, why would you do 4 reps with 185? You would decrease the reps as you increase the weight. So, if you do 3 reps at 135, then do 1-3 reps at 185.

Runty
04-29-2009, 01:21 AM
You sound like your about my size and we have about the same squat. After reading one of the other posts where you said wide stance sumos were making your legs sore leaves me to believe you have basically the same problem as I did when you squat. Can't' say for certain without a video but i have an inkling that you're not engaging your hips and glutes your squat. I used to think my core was tight throughout and once i took a video it was clear i was rounding at the bottom, which really kills your ability to engage the glutes and hips. I ramped down the weight and made sure to really focus on my lower back staying straight and after the first time I could tell my glutes and hips/hams were more sore than usual, even at a lower weight. I watched a bunch of sensei's videos and read his blog about "can't squat atg and other woes" and it made me realize that i was really losing tightness when i would hit the bottom of the hole. Try getting a video camera from a buddy, it made a world of difference when i saw my own form.

I too thought I was going atg because i would go well below parallel, which i was, but with poor form and really loose. Made me realize i wasn't as flexible as needed to go so low, so now i'm working on hip/ham/glute/IT band flexibility

rctriplefresh5
04-29-2009, 01:46 AM
yeah that's sounds about right. i tend to good morning the heavier weights, and i noticed if i try to keep a tight arch at the beginning i feel like ill fall back if i go down. i am sure that i am going to full depth though, because i go until i touch my ass to calves. i dont think i lean forward to badly on the bottom but going up i tend to lean forward.

what has helped you? has sumo helped you?

rctriplefresh5
04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
yeah that's sounds about right. i tend to good morning the heavier weights, and i noticed if i try to keep a tight arch at the beginning i feel like ill fall back if i go down. i am sure that i am going to full depth though, because i go until i touch my ass to calves. i dont think i lean forward to badly on the bottom but going up i tend to lean forward.

what has helped you? has sumo helped you?
bumps for runty. btw my squat form most closely resembles the figure C which is bad, and when i try to keep my back arched and d o it right i cant go down or ill fall over and ****.

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v329/27/82/1250149417/n1250149417_30095132_258.jpg

SELK
04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Generally a powerlifting style squat looks more like figure B.. figure A just looks weird.

J.C.
04-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Generally a powerlifting style squat looks more like figure B.. figure A just looks weird.

Hmmm, I thought it was always advised not to let the knees come forward over the feet so much. A looks like far too much pressure on the ankle joint. Somewhere between A and B would seem optimal. Unless I'm wrong about this.

Kiknskreem
04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Hmmm, I thought it was always advised not to let the knees come forward over the feet so much. A looks like far too much pressure on the ankle joint. Somewhere between A and B would seem optimal. Unless I'm wrong about this.

Pretty much the only time the knees won't come at least slightly forward of the toes is pretty wide stanced powerlifting squat.... a regular low bar squat will have the knees slightly in front of the toes.

Auburn
04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Figure A would generally be an Olympic squat, although most still don't squat like that. When the knees track directly over the toes, you're limited in motion by hamstring mass. To correctly do a squat as in Figure A, the feet will have to be farther apart than the knees. Unless you're a world-class weightlifter and desperately need those couple of inches, I don't think it's worth the risk to attempt to squat like that.

No matter what type of squat you do, the back should remain locked in extension. If you're rounding while doing a high-bar squat, work on flexibility and get some good shoes.

rctriplefresh5
04-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Well i squat like figure c and when i try to keep an arched back and descend to a figure a squat i cant even go down with no weight without falling over even with just my bws. shoes arent the problem. i squat barefoot, which i msure is the best way to squat anyway. i just dont think ill ever get strong at squats since i just learned from that poster that ive been doing atg knee bends instead of atg squats this whole time. but yeah i just did a bw squat and my knees point straight up like in figure c and my back isnt perfectly arched(if it was i couldnt go down without falling voer) its funny figure a is knees past toes and figure cisnt. anyways any advices.?

J.C.
04-30-2009, 03:47 PM
any advices.?

Watch the squatrx videos on youtube.

Read the squatrx blog.

Stretch the calves, the hamstring and the hip muscles.

Perform the squat stretch regularly.

Watch the squatrx videos on youtube again.

All else fails, buy heeled weigtlifting shoes.

barbell01
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
throw that stupid poster in the trash! SQUATTING IS HARD! that is why when you go to the gym, 1/2 the time somebody is doing barbell curls in the squat rack. DO NOT GIVE UP. you need to squat more. put a belt on, elbows forward, 45 your feet out to the sides, keep your knees out, use your abs to push off on your belt, keep your head up, and sit back, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU CAN DO! just go to the gym and get some good quality reps and sets in, 10-12 reps with like 60% or something. if you are having trouble with falling forward or back or whatever , you could try placing your hands all the way out so that your palms are on the plates, try that with lighter weight. other than that, do tons of glute/ham work and don't forget about your abbs. good luck.

Mosnar
04-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Eat. You're 6'2" 170lbs. Once you add more mass, your squats should improve. This may be what you are missing.

Auburn
04-30-2009, 09:51 PM
shoes arent the problem. i squat barefoot, which i msure is the best way to squat anyway.

Yeah, that's a big problem. Both the shoes and being too sure of what you think you know.

i just dont think ill ever get strong at squats

You're probably right.

atg knee bends instead of atg squats this whole time.

The squat is the deep knee bend. Same exercise.

rctriplefresh5
05-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Eat. You're 6'2" 170lbs. Once you add more mass, your squats should improve. This may be what you are missing.

well three things is wrong with that theory lol

1-ive squatted 10 pounds mor at the same bw a year ago.
2-starving kids in africa can squat 250 pounds so ithink i can as well ;)
3-i just found out that my squat form is **** from many of the members here and although i am going ass to grass i am not activating my glutes and hams, and i am goodmorning the weight on heavier sets and on all of my sets even light sets i cannot descend using a proper arch and not leaning forward or i fall backwards even with out using any weights.

anyway guys i need some more advice i just did wall squats where i squat about 2 inches in front of a wall and i try not to lean forward or id get planted into the wall and i tried them first with no weight at all not even any bars just my bw. i noticed that when i went down i wasnt able to keep from leaning forward without falling back or forward my hams were shaking kind of trying to stabilize me from not leaning forward to reach atg levels loi. i then tried it with 65 pounds and i was able to do it a little more easily but still felt like i had to lean forward or id fall backwatrds.

if you are not sure what a wall squat is look at this video( trust me its different than you may think) go to 2 minutes and 53 seconds

Rq8CWv8UPAI

Xellarz
05-01-2009, 02:57 PM
You...have to lean forward on a wall squat...the point of the wall is to prevent excessive leaning.

I don't understand this "falling back" business. Keep your center of mass over the balls of your feet or on your heels...why would you try to put it behind you. Are you trying to keep your torso vertical or something? You realize it's impossible, right? Ugh...it's frustrating because a semi-experienced squatter could help you quite quickly and easily in person.

ZenMonkey
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122657&page=2

RC, you just need to practice.

rctriplefresh5
05-01-2009, 03:39 PM
i didnt post two threads i jsut asked the same question in a thread that was already up.

rctriplefresh5
05-01-2009, 03:40 PM
You...have to lean forward on a wall squat...the point of the wall is to prevent excessive leaning.

I don't understand this "falling back" business. Keep your center of mass over the balls of your feet or on your heels...why would you try to put it behind you. Are you trying to keep your torso vertical or something? You realize it's impossible, right? Ugh...it's frustrating because a semi-experienced squatter could help you quite quickly and easily in person.
well kiknskreem(sp) lives like an hour and a half away from me, but i dont have much time to go there. i think hed be willing to help me but im not to sure.

Brad08
05-01-2009, 03:42 PM
When was the last time you took a week off?

ZenMonkey
05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
His squats are not improving because he hasnt taken the first step: Getting the form right.

rctriplefresh5
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
well obvously im attempting to change all of that!

slashkills
05-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Take a week off and then drop the weight down and practice what you learned from squat rx and from what everyone else told you. Your not going to be perfect over night. Keep using light weights and listening to what people told you.

Big_Byrd52
05-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I wish I had a dollar for every time I recommended this to someone...read this.........

Echo this response.

Ive never read those before, but Matt has some pretty good info articles floating around out there.

Big_Byrd52
05-02-2009, 08:21 AM
well three things is wrong with that theory lol

1-ive squatted 10 pounds mor at the same bw a year ago.
2-starving kids in africa can squat 250 pounds so ithink i can as well ;)
3-i just found out that my squat form is **** from many of the members here and although i am going ass to grass i am not activating my glutes and hams, and i am goodmorning the weight on heavier sets and on all of my sets even light sets i cannot descend using a proper arch and not leaning forward or i fall backwards even with out using any weights.

anyway guys i need some more advice

Maybe i got out on the wrong side of bed this morning, but im gonna be blunt with you cause i just dont know any other way. You came on here and asked for help with a problem. Now you have two pages of responses from people telling you the same damn thing about how to fix that problem, but you discount that advice because you dont want to hear it. if you know so damn much, why did you get on here and ask the question? Just because YOU dont like the answer or dont think its the right answer, doesnt mean its not. If you dont want to hear it, then its probably exactly what you need to do. Stop fishing until hear the answer you WANT to hear, cause that aint gonna do you a damn bit of good.

Eat more, stop maxing out all the time, and add some volume. You putt your squats last in workout, try prioritizing them.

chris mason
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Sam beat me to it.

Here is the bottom line RC, you don't want to squat more. You are a mentally weak individual who does not have the will or desire to achieve your stated goal. It is that simple. Your form is not the major issue, you weak ass mind is...

J.C.
05-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Incredibly brutal advice Chris... Welcome to my signature!

rctriplefresh5
05-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Sam beat me to it.

Here is the bottom line RC, you don't want to squat more. You are a mentally weak individual who does not have the will or desire to achieve your stated goal. It is that simple. Your form is not the major issue, you weak ass mind is...
um are yo userious, ive squatted 3 times aweek before it didnt work for me.... im far from mentally weak. you get told that you have a brain tumor in your ehad thats causing you to have low testosterone and well see if you continuie to lift like i have pushing yourself to the brink everyday. and yes my form is a big problem i just never realized this. i engage absolutely 0 of anything else but my quad .

Maybe i got out on the wrong side of bed this morning, but im gonna be blunt with you cause i just dont know any other way. You came on here and asked for help with a problem. Now you have two pages of responses from people telling you the same damn thing about how to fix that problem, but you discount that advice because you dont want to hear it. if you know so damn much, why did you get on here and ask the question? Just because YOU dont like the answer or dont think its the right answer, doesnt mean its not. If you dont want to hear it, then its probably exactly what you need to do. Stop fishing until hear the answer you WANT to hear, cause that aint gonna do you a damn bit of good.

Eat more, stop maxing out all the time, and add some volume. You putt your squats last in workout, try prioritizing them.
wow, how am i not taking anyones advice??? im going to do the light medium day and the heavy day like sensai suggested, and i am going to work on my flexibility so i can maintain better form like zen monkey said. you blind bro?:omg:

slashkills
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Im pretty sure chris didnt mean go squat every day. squat heavy only once a week. Do lots of warm up sets/reps and after you hit about 90%+ of your 1rm do a drop set. The second squat workout should be with 45%-65% of your 1rm for lots of reps and sets. Dont expect it to happen over night.

joey54
05-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow. If I ever asked for advice and Sam Byrd responded to my thread, or Chris Mason for that matter, I would listen and apply everything they told me. Some people just don't get how lucky we are here to have top class advice, and if you can't take it from them, no one is going to help you.

rctriplefresh5
05-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I ook the advice wtf? All chris did was insult me for not taking anyones advice when he obviously didnt read this thread. I took sensais advbice and zenmonkeyts advice. Sam byrd and chris just insulted me and told me i wasN goin to take anyones advices.

chris mason
05-02-2009, 12:14 PM
We gave you honesty, not an insult. It is sad in society that one cannot be honest without being perceived as an attack. I call it the "pussification" of our world.

Read your responses above both Sam's and my comments, you might then understand their genesis.

If you have a brain tumor which prevents you from training properly, then this whole thread is a meaningless waste and you already know the answer. I suspect not (i.e. that your tumor is not the issue), and just an FYI, testosterone is NOT required for muscular growth (it certainly helps).

Big_Byrd52
05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I ook the advice wtf? All chris did was insult me for not taking anyones advice when he obviously didnt read this thread. I took sensais advbice and zenmonkeyts advice. Sam byrd and chris just insulted me and told me i wasN goin to take anyones advices.

Ok, man, perhaps i was a bit abrasive this morning. Thats how i am, i dont sugar coat it. But here is the deal, you are tall at 6'2, you are skinny at 170, you would be skinny at 5'10 170, you put your squats as an afterthought in your training, and when you do squat, you only max out and thats it. Thats four glaring problems with your squat, 3 of which are curable.
1. You are 6'2; that prolly aint changin for ya
2. You're skinny at 170 pounds; easily curable, eat more.
3. Your squat training is an afterthought to everything else; easily curable, give it its own day-- ONE day. Thats it, just one day. Forget all the other BS and speed **** and technique nonsense. Blast on one day and let it rest for a full week.
4. You max out all the time; fix it by not taking any max attempts for 8 weeks. Hit squats and legs on ONE (1) day each week, and blast the crap out of them. Squats, hack squats, deadlifts, leg presses, stiff legs... get your volume up.

TECHNIQUE is NOT your problem. It doesnt matter if you can do a wall squat, or an overhead squat, or squat to parallel with just your bodyweight without falling over backwards.... there are plenty of guys at my gym who can do all that crap, but they cant squat 315. I CANT DO ANY OF THAT **** AND I MANAGE JUST FINE (800+ in belt and wraps).

Your problem is not that your technique is bad, your problem is that you are weak. Im sorry if that hurts to hear, but you know it and thats why you came on here asked for help. That is what we are trying to do. The best advice is not necessarily the advice you want to hear.

Im sorry you have a hormone deficiency. There is nothing any of us can do about that. Either get a script or work through it. We all have our own difficulties and set backs. You play the hand you are dealt and do the best you can with it.

My advice, for whatever it is worth, is this: follow one of these 2 articles posted earlier.

Stretch, but dont make it your emphasis. Dont worry about technique, worry about getting stronger.

Brad08
05-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Wow. If I ever asked for advice and Sam Byrd responded to my thread, or Chris Mason for that matter, I would listen and apply everything they told me. Some people just don't get how lucky we are here to have top class advice, and if you can't take it from them, no one is going to help you.

Exactly. Too much talkin and not enough listening.

jbrin0tk
05-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Ok, man, perhaps i was a bit abrasive this morning. Thats how i am, i dont sugar coat it. But here is the deal, you are tall at 6'2, you are skinny at 170, you would be skinny at 5'10 170, you put your squats as an afterthought in your training, and when you do squat, you only max out and thats it. Thats four glaring problems with your squat, 3 of which are curable.
3. Your squat training is an afterthought to everything else; easily curable, give it its own day-- ONE day. Thats it, just one day. Forget all the other BS and speed **** and technique nonsense. Blast on one day and let it rest for a full week.
4. You max out all the time; fix it by not taking any max attempts for 8 weeks. Hit squats and legs on ONE (1) day each week, and blast the crap out of them. Squats, hack squats, deadlifts, leg presses, stiff legs... get your volume up.

TECHNIQUE is NOT your problem. It doesnt matter if you can do a wall squat, or an overhead squat, or squat to parallel with just your bodyweight without falling over backwards.... there are plenty of guys at my gym who can do all that crap, but they cant squat 315. I CANT DO ANY OF THAT **** AND I MANAGE JUST FINE (800+ in belt and wraps).

Your problem is not that your technique is bad, your problem is that you are weak. Im sorry if that hurts to hear, but you know it and thats why you came on here asked for help. That is what we are trying to do. The best advice is not necessarily the advice you want to hear.

Im sorry you have a hormone deficiency. There is nothing any of us can do about that. Either get a script or work through it. We all have our own difficulties and set backs. You play the hand you are dealt and do the best you can with it.

My advice, for whatever it is worth, is this: follow one of these 2 articles posted earlier.

Stretch, but dont make it your emphasis. Dont worry about technique, worry about getting stronger.

Bingo.

JK1
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM

No ****. I'd be more than happy to let Sam Byrd critique my squat technique.

I've never met a person who (people with injuries or congenital deformities aside) I seriously think couldn't squat. I've met a ton and a third of people who mentally shoot themselves in the foot before they ever get under the bar. They decide they can't do it, they use piss poor form, they make excuse after excuse after excuse. They get good advice, yet they ignore it because they've decided they can't squat. Its not about the inability to lift the weight at all.

This thread has some very, very good, brutally honest advice. We all can learn from it.

rctriplefresh5
05-02-2009, 04:04 PM

so i shouldnt do like sensai said and do squat twice a week? yo uare right that squats are not my priority. i am a bench and curler at heart but i still would like to get a 4 plate skwat someday. im hoping that pretty soon i wont be able to make excuses about my hormones etc, i made an appoitment to see an endo back in january and may 28th i wil lsee him(the guy was rediculously booked) dont know what hell do for me but w/e. yeah i know 1670 is skinny and to make matters worse ithink i might be low 160s, because ihad car keys and heavy clothes on at that time but w/e. i need to get on a 3500-4000 calorie 200 gram or so of protein diet(and i have been on it before) only problem with that is i have stomach issues as well.(yes i know i sound like a pussy) but im getting that taken care of as well, as i have a gastroenterologist appoitment too. but in all honesty dfo you really think that m ysquat hasnt advanced because of my weight? i mean shouldnt a basic new trainee be able to reach atleast 275 from mostly neural training. i mean i can bench 270 something ansd thats flat backed and no leg drive, and can deadlift 400 plus(****ty form though) id think id be able to squat at least that at this weight too.

in all honesty, the comments about me being weak minded dont really piss me off because although im not super strong or w/e, if you guys saw me training in the gym and the intensity i put into every lift and all that **** you wouldnt say that. and its ok you called me a weak person physically because youre right, thats why i came for help./

rctriplefresh5
05-02-2009, 04:06 PM
No ****. I'd be more than happy to let Sam Byrd critique my squat technique.

I've never met a person who (people with injuries or congenital deformities aside) I seriously think couldn't squat. I've met a ton and a third of people who mentally shoot themselves in the foot before they ever get under the bar. They decide they can't do it, they use piss poor form, they make excuse after excuse after excuse. They get good advice, yet they ignore it because they've decided they can't squat. Its not about the inability to lift the weight at all.

This thread has some very, very good, brutally honest advice. We all can learn from it.
i never said i couldnt squat man, however a 250 ass to grass squat isnt optimal squatting.

barbell01
05-02-2009, 04:30 PM
time for a new thread.......this one is beyond BRUTAL! time to move on..

Big_Byrd52
05-03-2009, 07:45 PM
yes just once a week. one all out session is much better than 2-3 half assed sessions any day. if you dont like to squat, thats cool, i understand that. So no need to spend that much time under the bar when u can get similar results guttin it out for one day.

i suggest u pick 3 core exercises and rotate them each week. These are ur "A" exercises:
1-barbell squats
2-machine hack squats
3- leg press
repeat

work up to a heavy, near max set of 8 reps. then drop down to a weight u think u can get 12 with, and get 20! Just those 2 main working sets.

Follow this up with the corresponding "B" exercises:
1-stiff leg DL
2-DL standing on a plate
3- rack pull from just above knee

stick with the same weight for top sets and do 3 sets of 10 on all these. When these become easier, and u can do with less rest in between then increase weight slightly.

finish all that up with alternating sets of leg ext and leg curls, 3 sets of each. do these for time, not reps. Pick a weight that will allow u to go for 45 seconds straight and keep track of reps. Should be tough the last 15 seconds. dont get over confident and try to go too heavy on these either. rest 45-60 seconds and hit the other exercise the same way... rest 45-60 seconds and repeat.

Walk 10-15 minutes to get the blood circulating and cool down after.

Give this a try for about 9 weeks before taking a rest week and retest ur squat. stay on the program, and eat plenty. Dont try to add to yet, as that is plenty to stimulate and still be abvle to recover from for the next week. Each time you come around to the next exercise, u should have a log of the numbers u hit and try to beat them. if those numbers keep going up, ur squat will have gone up too.

HP666
05-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Dude, you just got advice that people would pay for, so take it and run with it.

Travis Bell
05-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Rc, you've gotten some very good advice on both sides of the coin here. Pick one and do it, either way this has been discussed pretty completely

Next time some of the more knowledgeable lifters on here give advice (which you did ask for) I suggest you be a little more open to it.