PDA

View Full Version : Video, pictures and a comment

BigTallOx
05-01-2009, 09:11 AM
I know it's hard to see, but here's a video of my bench at the last meet. Any advice will be appreciated. ( I started training in a shirt only a few weeks before this meet, and I was really happy with how I did. )
OMYYVXhwbiY

Here's a picture of some of the people I train with, at the best powerlifting gym in the Salt Lake Valley.
http://www.brianmielke.com/group.jpg

And here's me with my metal from the meet.
http://www.brianmielke.com/metal.jpg

It's been about a year since I started powerlifting. Before that I never benched with more than 225, and I never deadlifted and hadn't squatted for over 20 years. I feel like I've made a lot of progress in the last year. Now I can both squat and deadlift over 500 pounds and I'm hoping to bench 400 at my next meet ( or close to it ). For now, I want to be the strongest 6'8" guy around, hopefully with the information and encouragement here I'll get there.

mike95763
05-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Here's a picture of some of the people I train with, at the best powerlifting gym in the Salt Lake Valley.

I think it is the only powerlifting gym in the Salt Lake Vally, so I guess that would make it the best. :)

BigTallOx
05-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I think it is the only powerlifting gym in the Salt Lake Vally, so I guess that would make it the best. :)

Maybe I shouldn't have said that, there are other powerlifters around and they train somewhere ( so there are other powerlifter friendly gyms ). What I meant was *I* think it's the best ( a lot of it because the people who train there ).

Jesse Hernandez
05-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Looked like a good lift bro. Your sticking point is looking to be your lockout or 2-3 inches before. I know when I had that problem working with boards helped me a lot. 6'8?! damn giant!

Ryano
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
BTO, you're right, you can't see anything about your form from that video. If you are happy with the lift, it's all good. Nothing else matters.

DrDudley-Robey
05-01-2009, 10:09 PM
It does not look like you are using an arch - that could help cut the distance traveled and up your numbers!

vdizenzo
05-02-2009, 08:06 AM
The lift looked to move really well. Came in nice and easy. Might be able to jack your shirt or work with a smaller one.

BigTallOx
05-02-2009, 08:19 AM
It does not look like you are using an arch - that could help cut the distance traveled and up your numbers!

Yeah, I haven't really figured out how to arch. I feel like I need to keep my feet flat on the floor, and since my legs are pretty long I can't tilt my hips at all, ie like the guys who can get their feet under them, so it makes it hard to arch all that much. I guess it's something I just need to keep working on.

BigTallOx
05-02-2009, 08:23 AM
The lift looked to move really well. Came in nice and easy. Might be able to jack your shirt or work with a smaller one.

Thanks. Yeah the shirt is a little big, which was what I wanted since I'm new to using a shirt. I'm trying to gain some weight to make it tighter.

Rob Luyando
05-02-2009, 02:32 PM
The decent looked good after that can't see much! Keep up the good work big man!

BigTallOx
05-02-2009, 04:25 PM
BTO, you're right, you can't see anything about your form from that video
Here's another one from today, it's not the best either though. 395 with 3 boards. The bar bobbled but I got it. My buddy said he didn't help, although he did touch the bar (there was a little mishap right before this and I think everybody was super careful at this point). I know I go super slow, and I know it makes no sense at all, but I can lift more weight going slow on the decent, so for right now I'm not concerned about it.

2DjaAzJj2js

My goal is to be above 400 no boards by August 1st.