PDA

View Full Version : deadlifting in a squat suit

mike95763
05-01-2009, 03:55 PM
A while ago I bought a super centurion single ply squat suit and last night I tried it out for the first time. It really isn't super tight as I can put it on by myself in about 5 minutes (it might be a little tight in the legs but the rest is very loose, the straps keep trying to slip off my shoulders, etc.) Anyhow, squatting was fine. Since it is so loose I didn't really have any problems keeping decent form and getting to depth. My problem was with deads. With my belt on I couldn't get into a decent position to pull from (I pull with a semi-sumo stance). I couldn't help but thinking I was doing something wrong. So, how does one get into position when deadlifting with gear on? Is there some sort of trick to it that I am not aware of? If I drop the belt I can get into position better. Should I just deadlift without the belt? Last, I am planning on competing in a USPF meet in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone knows if it is legal to do deads in just a pair of briefs rather than a full suit (I know I get a little carryover from my briefs and I can get into position much better). Thanks.

BigTallOx
05-01-2009, 04:01 PM
So, how does one get into position when deadlifting with gear on?

As Scott and Lance taught me, I grab the bar with one hand and use it to pull myself down so I can grab the bar with the other hand. It's like compressing a spring that releases energy when bar leaves the ground.

the straps keep trying to slip off my shoulders, etc

I had my straps shortened at a place not too far where we lift. If you want I could try to remember the name of it.

MarcusWild
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Is your belt a lever belt? I don't like them for deadlifting. Flip it backwards. That way you have a smooth surface to push your abs out against. It makes it much easier to get to the bar.

evilxxx
05-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Is your belt a lever belt? I don't like them for deadlifting. Flip it backwards. That way you have a smooth surface to push your abs out against. It makes it much easier to get to the bar.

Hmm? im gonna try that...i usually just place the lever area on my left side and use the left hand to lock it fwd..but im getting tired of the think pinching me on my side sometimes..hehe

mike95763
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM

I have a buckle belt, although I am starting to think I would be better off without any belt for pulling.

I had my straps shortened at a place not too far where we lift. If you want I could try to remember the name of it.

For now I like it loose as I need to be able to put it on myself. I am planning on changing up my schedual so I can do squats with you guys on Mondays as it really isn't safe to put more than 675 on the bar at 24 hour fitness (due to the issue with the bar bending and pushing the clamps/weights off. That is the most weight I can fit with using 2 clamps and if I only use 1 the weight slips down every time as soon as I get close to 600). Maybe once I start squatting with other powerlifters and I get used to the suit I will tighten things up a bit.

BigTallOx
05-01-2009, 07:26 PM
For now I like it loose as I need to be able to put it on myself.

Well, if you ever want somebody to adjust them, I can let you know where I got mine done. He did a pretty good job.

To get mine on ( now that I've gained some weight and it's actually starting to fit closer how it should ) I loop the strap around the j-hook on a squat rack and hang for a while on each side. It works pretty good, and makes it pretty easy for people to get the straps up.

scott rowe
05-01-2009, 10:15 PM
to get to the bar i treat the deadlift like the squat. knees out hips back back back all the way to the bar then grab with one hand, grab the other and go. use blocks to start put the plates on 2 inch then 1 inch them floor. takes lots of pratice.

scott rowe
05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
wear your belt !!!

MarcusWild
05-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Yes, definitely wear the belt. Maybe you wear it too tight. You won't want it so tight that you have to suck in to secure it. You want to be able to push your abs out against the belt. A belt seems so simple, but a lot of people wear it wrong.