PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for arranging my workouts for proper recovery

mike95763
05-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Whenever I squat heavy it really screws up my elbows and shoulders and I find that I cant bench much for a while afterwards. I have been thinking about limiting my heavy geared squatting to one or maybe two times a month and the rest of the time doing raw 5 and 3 RM work. Also I am thinking of moving my ME squat day to Mondays (currently they are Thursdays) to allow for more recovery time between squatting and benching (ME bench is Saturday). I am curious how other people make squatting heavy and benching heavy work as it seems to kill me. I am hoping that my above idea will work but I am concerned that I wont be doing enough heavy squatting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

MarcusWild
05-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Do you have a DE squat and a ME squat/deadlift day? You shouldn't need to max in full gear that often on ME squat day. I think you can get away with working up sometimes on DE day, and then doing a suit test on DE day 3-4 weeks out from the meet. Then on your ME days you can do more deadlift variations, GMs, and squat variants that aren't a full geared up max.

mike95763
05-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you have a DE squat and a ME squat/deadlift day?

I do the typical westside split, currently my routine looks like this

DE squat/deadlift Monday
DE bench Wednesday
ME squat/deadlift Thursday
ME bench Friday

Like I mentioned I am thinking about switching around my ME and DE days for squat so I can have more time to recover before ME bench

Sean S
05-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I think your plan to rearrange days is fine. The other question you might consider is why squatting beats up your shoulders and elbows so badly? Are your shoulders and arms "carrying" too much of the weight when squatting? Think about things such as how you are carrying the bar and shoulder flexibility. I've never had any problems with my shoulders or elbows from squatting, but I carry the bar pretty high and I stretch my shoulders and pecs daily. Just something else to think about.

mike95763
05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I think your plan to rearrange days is fine. The other question you might consider is why squatting beats up your shoulders and elbows so badly? Are your shoulders and arms "carrying" too much of the weight when squatting? Think about things such as how you are carrying the bar and shoulder flexibility. I've never had any problems with my shoulders or elbows from squatting, but I carry the bar pretty high and I stretch my shoulders and pecs daily. Just something else to think about.

I do have some flexability issues that I am working on. I think my bar position is ok, but with the heavy weights (once I get above 450-500) my elbows get pretty sore for the next few days. Maybe I need to revisit Sensei's videos.

robchris
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Mike,

Have you tried a chambered or buffalo bar?

I had a similar problem esp. w/ my shoulders but once I switched bars its almost nonexistent!

Just make sure you train w/ a regulation bar close to competition so it dosent effect your groove/ form, while using the gear...

Just My 2-cents
Rob

ChickenLegs83
05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Whenever I squat heavy it really screws up my elbows and shoulders and I find that I cant bench much for a while afterwards. I have been thinking about limiting my heavy geared squatting to one or maybe two times a month and the rest of the time doing raw 5 and 3 RM work. Also I am thinking of moving my ME squat day to Mondays (currently they are Thursdays) to allow for more recovery time between squatting and benching (ME bench is Saturday). I am curious how other people make squatting heavy and benching heavy work as it seems to kill me. I am hoping that my above idea will work but I am concerned that I wont be doing enough heavy squatting. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My two suggestions:

1.) Liniment.

2.) Elbow sleeves.

barbell01
05-07-2009, 07:45 PM
elbow sleeves and hang some minis from the squat rack and do some band pressdowns LIGHT to get those elbows warm before squatting. keep the sleeves on to keep your joints warm. glutamine, and glucosamine are a must. also take a multi-vitamin. i also have to take special care of my elbows or i'm screwed four weeks into a heavy training cycle and that SUCKS and it hurts like a mutha.

mike95763
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
elbow sleeves and hang some minis from the squat rack and do some band pressdowns LIGHT to get those elbows warm before squatting. keep the sleeves on to keep your joints warm. glutamine, and glucosamine are a must. also take a multi-vitamin. i also have to take special care of my elbows or i'm screwed four weeks into a heavy training cycle and that SUCKS and it hurts like a mutha.

I have been doing all of this stuff and it helps a ton. Also I take lots of fish oil. I watched Sensei's videos again and figured out that I really wasn't keeping my upper back tight enough so my delts weren't in position to support the weight. Instead of resting on my delts the bar would try to roll down my back and I ended up supporting a lot of the weight with my arms (thanks for the suggestion Sean S). I kept things light today but 405 x 10 felt great. No shoulder or elbow pain at all. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I am good now. (I would love to try the cambered bar idea, but I squat at 24 hour fitness and they don't have much in the way of bar choice)

rbtrout
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Glad that is all working better for you. I was doing the same Westside split and switched it up so my ME squat and ME bench days are on Monday (ME squat) and Friday (ME bench). That helped me quite a bit. The elbow sleeves helped, as well.