PDA

View Full Version : How to afford to eat right

chuckdog_5
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Im just getting back into weight lifting and know how much it cost to eat right. i was wandering if anyone had any tips or advice to get the best bang for your buck when it comes to your workout diet, thanks for the help

charles

samadhi_smiles
05-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I just bought a 25lb bag of whey protein. That saved me 3 bucks per pound I use (compared to buying it in 5-10lb increments). I supplement with 100g of whey protein a day for the last few weeks (protein shake right after breakfast, 12pm meal, 4pm meal, and 8pm meal) so it adds up. (by the way this is the BEST thing I ever did for my strength, incredible leap up).

I also shop at local farmer's markets for veggies so that ends up saving a lot of money since I eat veggies for 3 meals every day.

There's no way to get around meat prices though. That stuff is just expensive. Ground beef can be cheap though and that is a staple of mine.

peanut butter and such is real cheap for the amount of calories you get (but you have to watch because you can easily take in too much fat for your overall macros).

jAy_Dub
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Im just getting back into weight lifting and know how much it cost to eat right. i was wandering if anyone had any tips or advice to get the best bang for your buck when it comes to your workout diet, thanks for the help

charles

You act like eating right is expensive??

Some staples of my diet include:
Ground turkey- $1.29/lb
Frozen Chicken Breasts- $6 per bag so around $2/lb
Tilipia- A box is $12, 4 lbs total so $3/lb
Rice- very cheap
Whole Grain pasta- around $1 per box?
Apples- .99/lb
Bananas- .69/lb
Whole Grain Bread- $2.50 per loaf
Orange Juice- $3
Milk- $2.30 or whatever it is now
Veggies- $1 per bag
etc.

Lones Green
05-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, stock up in bulk. This will help tons.

Don't eat out...thats where you spend money, and most of the time it's pretty bad for you

Davey
05-03-2009, 05:36 PM

charles

Get sponsored
/end thread

Trainwreck
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
The most expensive things will be meat and milk, aside from that you can get almost everything else in bulk and save some money. You could 'eat right' while cutting or bulking, and there is a significant difference in the amount of food you consume in both stages.

Notorious
05-03-2009, 07:48 PM
The most expensive things will be meat and milk, aside from that you can get almost everything else in bulk and save some money. You could 'eat right' while cutting or bulking, and there is a significant difference in the amount of food you consume in both stages.

Milk is expensive? It's gotta be some of the cheapest food around. Eggs and peanut butter are dirt cheap too.

Trainwreck
05-03-2009, 08:08 PM
It isn't really expensive but when you drink a gallon a day it adds up. 30x5 = $150 in milk alone. Being a student I don't find that very cheap.

rctriplefresh5
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
5 dollars for milk??? its 3 dollars here. that means i save 62 dollars on you ;)

chuckdog_5
05-04-2009, 12:21 AM
well im in the Marine Corps, they dont pay the best. im 5'9 135lbs so i need all i can get. i appreciate the input

rimi
05-04-2009, 04:54 AM
Hello

I'm rimi,last few months i get 10kg extra weight.i doing exercise daily and jagging also but it not effected on me.can anyone suggest me how should i talk diet and other ways to loss my weight.

Unreal
05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Buy stuff on sale. I get boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.69/lb. Milk for $1.49 a gallon. Cottage cheese for $1 a pint. $24 for 5lbs of whey.

Trainwreck
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Man what the hell, i'm paying 4.39 a gallon and chicken breast...thats 6.70/kg on special. I'm gonna need an extra job just to bulk.

samadhi_smiles
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
You act like eating right is expensive??

Some staples of my diet include:
Ground turkey- $1.29/lb
Frozen Chicken Breasts- $6 per bag so around $2/lb
Tilipia- A box is $12, 4 lbs total so $3/lb
Rice- very cheap
Whole Grain pasta- around $1 per box?
Apples- .99/lb
Bananas- .69/lb
Whole Grain Bread- $2.50 per loaf
Orange Juice- $3
Milk- $2.30 or whatever it is now
Veggies- $1 per bag
etc.

where the hell do you live? Bumfu.ck? Thats some cheap ass food.

evilxxx
05-05-2009, 03:15 PM
5 dollars for milk??? its 3 dollars here. that means i save 62 dollars on you ;)

Im glad there are lots of cows around here! a gal here is only 2.39 haha

Unreal
05-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Those prices are in line with what I pay in SLC.

jAy_Dub
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
where the hell do you live? Bumfu.ck? Thats some cheap ass food.

Wal Mart prices...

Notorious
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
It isn't really expensive but when you drink a gallon a day it adds up. 30x5 = $150 in milk alone. Being a student I don't find that very cheap.

It's still pretty damn cheap considering the amount of quality calories you're getting.

Clifford Gillmore
05-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Become a butcher. :)

*stares at chest freezers*

'Aight, the body is in one of these!'

dropshot001
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
wait for a sale on beef and then walk out with about 50lbs of it

Eagleclaw026
05-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Chuck, I'm not sure what the Marine Corps dining facility is like but in the Army you could always ask for more or for seconds so start there. If your married get a good grocery list with the wife and shop around, coupon cutting is cool nowadays. If neither work out for you try some MRE's and just eat what you need to balance out your diet. Extra Protein is a must so check out Costco, Wal Mart, Sams Club the PX. GNC if you can get a good sale. oh Rite-Aid here carries a ton of Protein and some extra supps. pretty decent price.

J.C.
05-08-2009, 05:47 AM
You're all lucky.

Try buying food in the UK - you're looking at prices almost double. The average wage is higher here to make up for it, but seriously, food in America is incredibly cheap. If you have a decent job it shouldn't be a problem.

My main tip is to haunt shops at the end of the day. I live really near a supermarket so I go down there most nights around 9pm to pick up stuff they've reduced to clear. I've managed to get steaks for the equivalent of 50-75 cents before. Butchers and other places will be practically giving stuff away at the end of the day because they'll just have to throw it otherwise. If its practical I'd really recommend doing this because you can usually keep it another day at least, more if you freeze it and over time you'll save a lot of money.

Ethnic supermarkets are your friends for vegetables too. There's a large Indian and Pakistani population in the UK and you can usually get fruit and vegetables for much much less at Indian grocers than elsewhere. I'm sure there's an equivalent in the US, but it all depends on where you live. I live in a flat in a major city so everything is at my doorstep.

Unreal
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Walked into the store this morning. Cottage cheese was $1 for 2 cups, and Milk was $1.59 a gallon.

dropshot001
05-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Walked into the store this morning. Cottage cheese was $1 for 2 cups, and Milk was $1.59 a gallon.

damn, awesome prices

Trainwreck
05-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Agreed, here I am paying 4.87 for 750g of cottage cheese and 3 times as much for milk...before 13% taxes.

Unreal
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
That is normal grocery store prices here. That isn't even bulk at costco. There I think I get a 4lb tub of cottage cheese for $4.50 and milk is like $2.79 for 2 gallons.

Trainwreck
05-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I just got 10 dozen extra large eggs for $14 bucks, gotta love specials

BFGUITAR
05-09-2009, 01:28 PM
In Canada milk is quite expensive... about 5 bucks a gallon. I suspect the reason is because the milk in the US comes from cows with a special growth hormone. It increases the production of milk and therefore I guess is cheaper. The down side of this is that cows get many many infections in the utters as a result and have to pump out all the puss before they can start getting milk. The hormone is illegal around the world except for the US if memory serves... this is due to the harmful effects on the cows. As for humans... I'm not sure.

But generally, food is dirt cheap in the US. I remember going to a breakfast place and for 3.50 getting eggs hashbrowns sausage toast and a coffee. Here in Canada our wages are a bit higher but it doesn't really compensate for the food prices in the end I feel.

rctriplefresh5
05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
i cant complain about getting free growht hormones in my milk. and yeah the milk isnt too bad. its 3 dollars over here.

Mercuryblade
05-09-2009, 03:00 PM
i cant complain about getting free growht hormones in my milk. and yeah the milk isnt too bad. its 3 dollars over here.

Growth hormones unfortunately don't make there way into the milk.
It'd be nice though.

J.C.
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Actually some IGF-1 (insulin-like growth factor) has been found to make its way into milk from cows treated with rBGH (recombinant bovine growth hormone). This is one of the reasons why it is banned in the EU, Canada and just about every other country. I think the fact that cows get ill much easier is the main reason though.

It has also been theorised that there may be a slight anabolic effect in humans drinking large amounts of hormone-treated milk. However it seems much more likely that the simple fact of high amount of calories, protein and fat in whole milk accounts for it. Cholesterol is also responsible for increasing testosterone, so full-fat milk may have an effect this way too.

ZenMonkey
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I get almost all of my food at the local farmers market... everything but dairy I guess. Really cheap and a fun way to shop.

rich_py
05-10-2009, 01:11 PM
farmers market all the way

GHOGH
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
well im in the Marine Corps, they dont pay the best. im 5'9 135lbs so i need all i can get. i appreciate the input

dude, start hording your buddies MRE's eat a ton of those, with all the damn PT you guys do you need a ton of calorie's in order to gain some weight. At that weight you must be pretty well shredded. Plus if you go on a float (i was in the Navy on an Amphibious Ship carried over 350 marines.) They always have an extra meal just before midnight, hit that up every night. Also get in good with the cooks and you can get yourself some extra grub.

chuckdog_5
05-12-2009, 02:13 AM
dude, start hording your buddies MRE's eat a ton of those, with all the damn PT you guys do you need a ton of calorie's in order to gain some weight. At that weight you must be pretty well shredded. Plus if you go on a float (i was in the Navy on an Amphibious Ship carried over 350 marines.) They always have an extra meal just before midnight, hit that up every night. Also get in good with the cooks and you can get yourself some extra grub.

Well im an airwing Marine, so i havent seen a MRE in awhile lol. And i am married, shes pretty good about cooking good stuff, but i will start cutting out coupons and seeing how much of a difference that will make. I prolly need to be taking in a crazy amount of calories. Whats supplements would you reccomend as far as weighgainer or anything to that nature.

Guido
05-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah, stock up in bulk. This will help tons.

Don't eat out...thats where you spend money, and most of the time it's pretty bad for you
Yep. Eating out less often is a HUGE money saver. I went from eating out probably 7-10 times a week to only 1 or 2 and now have a lot more money for good food that I can eat at home.