PDA

View Full Version : Yolked Diesel Jacked Massive Thick Powerful Beastly ... I Want It

mcdonough9395
05-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Alright guys so i figured it was finally time to start a journal. Its time to start putting on and moving some real weight...

Just for some background ... Im about 5' 10" 180-185 lbs. at about 15% BF. I started lifting in high school but really had no idea what i was doing. Then once i went to college i stop lifting entirely and really let myself go and after my first year and a half was a very out of shape 200 lbs. I started getting back into the gym 2 winters ago and got back into some decent shape by this winter. Thats when i found this site and learned how to really lift and really got serious about lifting and dieting. This past January i was around 175 lbs. at about 21% BF. I did a little recomp and have been running BGB and am now around 180 lbs. at about 15% BF...

Im going to start an official "bulk" on Monday and am going to run Starting Strength. However im only going to Squat twice a week on Monday and Friday and replace Wednesdays with Rows because i have tried Squatting three times a week and it is not for me my body does not react well to it and i find i fair much better with two Squat sessions a week. Im also going to do 2 sets of 8 reps of Incline DB Press after my Bench on the weeks i bench once a week and on Fridays when i bench twice a week. I find my chest responds better with just a little more volume. Im also going to be doing very light cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays with abs and just 2 sets of DB curls and overhead extensions at the end of my last workout for the week or on Saturdays...

Heres what my diet will look like...

Meal 1: 4 Whole Eggs / Whole Wheat Bagel / 2 Tbsp PB / 16 oz Milk
Meal 2: Nitrean with Milk / 2 Whole Grain Rice Cakes / 2 Tbsp PB
Meal 3: Turkey Sandwich on Whole Wheat Protein Bread / 16 oz Milk
Meal 4 (Pre-WO): Nitrean with Milk / 1/2 Cup Oats / Banana
Meal 5 (Post-WO): Nitrean with Milk / Dextrose / Creatine Mono
Meal 6: Lots of Chicken / Lots of Whole Grain Pasta / Salad / 16 oz Milk
Meal 7: Cottage Cheese / 16 oz Milk

Breakdown: 4,471 Calories / 380g Protein (36%) / 437g Carbs (37%) / 133g Fat (27%)

Where my lift stand as of right now...

Squat: 195 (I know ... weak ... im really trying to get this up!)
Deadlift: 325
Bench: 215
Press: 145
Clean: 175
Row: 170x5

Goals...

Squat: 275
Deadlift: 405
Bench: 265
Press: 185
Clean: 215
Row: 225x5

Im shooting to reach my strength goals and my weight goal of 210-215 lbs. (From 180-185 lbs.) by September. I know it may be a reach but i figure you gotta shoot big. We'll see what happens ... I am extremely excited to start tomorrow. Ive taken the past 5 days off from the gym to get a fresh start. Im still trying to figure out where to start my weights on my lifts to optimize progression ... Im open to any suggestions ... I look forward to starting my journey and keeping track of my progress here ... Wish me luck!

mcdonough9395
05-04-2009, 07:37 PM
So i started my new diet and SS today. It was sweet just eating even though i wasnt hungry. Bulking is definitely much more fun ... I decided to start my weights rather conservative ... i took what i was working my 5x5s with and took off about 20-30 lbs. and just decided to start my Squat at 135 to really nail down my form and keep the progression going on that. Anyway heres how my workout went...

Workout A

Weigh In: 183

Squat
Warm-Ups
135x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
155x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
225x5x1

Dips
BWx8x3

These were all pretty easy but im hoping starting off with the conservative weight will payoff in the long run. Cant wait till Wednesday...

T o m m Y
05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
aaah yes SS,i ran it 2 yrs ago and made good progress,just stick to it and eat your ass off and then gains will come!

mcdonough9395
05-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah man thats the plan ... Thanks for the encouragement

nockits
05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
lookin' good so far bud! i like your current lifts, and your goals, very achievable. also, even though you made some small changes to SS, it's nothing drastic that's going to turn it around completely, I think you could still make some pretty good gains this way!
so right now you're starting low and you're just gonna add 5lbs each session?

WillNoble
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
nice work man, your well on your way to building up a very solid base

mcdonough9395
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
lookin' good so far bud! i like your current lifts, and your goals, very achievable. also, even though you made some small changes to SS, it's nothing drastic that's going to turn it around completely, I think you could still make some pretty good gains this way!
so right now you're starting low and you're just gonna add 5lbs each session?

Yeah the small adjustments shouldnt hurt me. And even though i said im only gunna Squat Monday and Friday and replace Wednesday with Rows im actually thinking im gunna start with Squatting all 3 days and then just go to the Rows on Wednesdays when it gets to be too much. And yeah im gunna probably add 10 to my Squats and Pulls at first and just keep adding 5 on my Presses. Well see how it works out.

nice work man, your well on your way to building up a very solid base

Thanks man. Yeah i hope so ... im real excited to get this going.

mcdonough9395
05-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok so today was my first Workout B. Despite what i had told Nockits about trying to start out Squatting all the 3 days i decided against it and stuck with my original plan since i was still rather soar. Heres how it went...

Workout B

Weight: 185
(This scale at school isnt very good or consistent im expecting my weight to change a little and be more consistent when i get home next week.)

Press
Warm-Ups
105x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
145x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
145x3x5

Chins
BWx8x3

I hadnt Overhead Pressed in awhile and they were a little tougher than i expected but still pretty easy. And I hadnt Cleaned in a little while either (since for some reason they really aggravate my forearms) and i kind of forgot how to do them at first ... so they were a little tough ... but it came back to me after the first set or two. I plan on adding 10 lbs to my Squat and Deadlift next session and adding 5 lbs to everything else.

nockits
05-07-2009, 09:40 AM
And I hadnt Cleaned in a little while either (since for some reason they really aggravate my forearms) and i kind of forgot how to do them at first ...

Do they hurt your forearms from the racking, or the pull? When I first started, my wrists/arms weren't too flexible, so when I racked the bar on my chest, it would be sore. Make sure you don't pull up with your arms, this could also cause the aggravation, use the momentum of the jump.

mcdonough9395
05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Yeah its the transition from the pull to the rack ... i feel i use my arms too much to rack the bar and dont get under the bar enough ... im working on it though.

mcdonough9395
05-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I added 10 lbs to all my lifts. Ill probably be increasing everything by 5 lbs every workout from here on out...

Workout A

Weigh-In: 186
(Im afraid i might be gaining too fast. But i think it might just be the quick initial gains ... Ill see where i stand at the end of the week.)

Squats
Warm-Ups
145x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
165x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
235x5x1

Dips
10x8x3

DB Curls: 40x8 - 45x8
DB Overhead Tri Extensions: 80x8 - 85x8

I do the 2 sets of curls and extensions just once a week at the end of the week. Everything went pretty well today. Now i gotta wait till Monday.

nockits
05-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah its the transition from the pull to the rack ... i feel i use my arms too much to rack the bar and dont get under the bar enough ... im working on it though.

definitely work on the jump then, it's supposed to be really explosive.
keep up the good work! can't wait to see you lift the real big numbers!

mcdonough9395
05-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah im working on it. Im still reading through the Power Clean section of SS ... Yeah thanks man. Hopefully i can catch up to you soon and our numbers can be good motivation.

nockits
05-09-2009, 04:24 PM
you can catch up to me soon? i think your numbers are already past mine!
hopefully I can catch up to you.

I'm going to be starting the advanced SS which includes chin-ups and dips, exactly what you're doing. do you know what the set/rep scheme is for dips and chins? i know you're supposed to add weight if you can do 15 reps of your own bodyweight for chins... does the same go for dips?

mcdonough9395
05-09-2009, 09:53 PM
you can catch up to me soon? i think your numbers are already past mine!
hopefully I can catch up to you.

Na, the stats i posted im my first post were all 1RMs not 5RMs. My Cleans are a little higher and our Bench and Press are about the same but thats about it. Dont really matter though ... hopefully we'll look back on our numbers in a few months and laugh.

Im not sure what the set/rep scheme is ... i dont really think there is a set number since its not really included in Rips original program. I saw somewhere, I think on the SS Wiki that its 3x5-8 which sounds good so im just sticking to that.

nockits
05-10-2009, 12:09 PM
haha, definitely! first i gotta worry about getting past 3 chin-ups before i can "do 15 and add weight".

mcdonough9395
05-11-2009, 06:52 PM
Im kinda mad with myself since i was off my diet for the weekend since i went home for mothers day but it shouldnt hurt me too much. Heres how the workout went...

Workout B

Weigh In: 188

Squats
Warm-Ups
150x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
115x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
150x3x5

Chins
BWx8x3

Everything went well today. Still fairly easy. The Presses felt real strong even with the 10 lb increase.

mcdonough9395
05-13-2009, 07:55 PM
I almost didnt make it to the gym today because i drank myself stupid like a moron last night being that i had finished the semester and had a killer hangover today. I got a second wind though and got my ass to the gym. I started cutting back on my calories a little by taking out my second meal because i felt i was gaining too fast.

Workout A

Weigh In: 187

Bench
Warm-Ups
170x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
155x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
240x5x1

Dips
20x8x3

Incline DB Press (I do these on the weeks i only Bench once as i said in my original post)
60x8x2

Everything went well today. Since today was the last day of exams at school the gym was empty since most people went home. At one point i was the only one in the entire gym it was pretty awesome. I start back at the dreaded Ballys on Friday ... Im gunna try to find a new gym at home this summer but its hard to make the switch being that i only pay 9 bucks a month at Ballys.

mcdonough9395
05-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok so i didnt make it to the gym on Friday because again like a moron i drank to much the night before and was to beat the next day to lift. I gotta cut that **** out though. Im gunna try to keep the drinking to Saturdays. Anyway i did my workout today instead and will pick up on Monday like normally.

Workout B

Weigh In: 189 (This was on a legit balance scale at Ballys so ill be able to get more accurate and consistent weigh ins now.)

Squat
Warm-Ups
155x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
120x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
155x3x3

Chins
BWx8x3

The Squats felt good. I feel like im really nailing down my form. Presses were good. For some reason the Cleans were HEAVY and i was shot after my third set of 3 so i just called it after that. The BW Chins are getting easier. I think i might start adding weight and keep the reps between 5-8. Cant wait for these weights to start getting heavier.

mcdonough9395
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I did not miss Ballys...

Workout A

Weigh In: 187.5
Kind of disappointed with this ... I dont get how my weight went down from last time or even from last week. I might have cut back my cals too much ... Im gunna add some. But its not a big deal im still on my 2 lbs a week pace since i gained so much last week. Ill see where I am next Monday.

Squats
Warm-Ups
160x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
175x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
245x5x1

Dips
25x8x3

The Squats and Deadlifts are getting tougher. The Deads were especially tougher then i thought they should be. On the other hand my Bench felt really good even easier than last time. My lower lower back like right on the top of my ass is hurtin. Im gunna do some hardcore foam rolling tonight ... hopefully that will help it.

mcdonough9395
05-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Workout B

Weigh In: 188

Press
Warm-Ups
125x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
160x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
135x3x5

Chins
BWx8x2
BWx6x1

I dropped the Cleans back down to 135 because i feel i really need to work on nailing down my form and technique. I think ill benefit much more from going lighter and learning to do them right. Im also going to start adding weight and start doing 3x5 for the Chins.

nockits
05-26-2009, 11:13 AM
good results bro! it's comin along!
edit: the power cleans are wrong. it has to be 3 sets of 5. i saw a website that had 5 sets of 3 reps, but i believe thats a typo.
edit: nevermind, apparently people are saying that 5 sets of 3 is correct. weird that my book would say different. maybe there is different versions?

mcdonough9395
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Alright so Memorial Day weekend kicked my ass. My routine, diet, and everything just went out the window and i ended up taking a week off. Kind of disappointed but whatever i had a good time and now its time to do work ... atleast till 4th of July weekend haha.

Workout A

Weigh In: 189
Im happy with this ... i pretty much maintained my weight through the week of binge drinking and eating like ****.

Squats
Warm-Ups
165x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
180x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
250x5x1

Dips
30x8x1
30x5x2

So i was thinking about sticking with the same weights as last time being that i took the week off but i said **** it and just kept trucking along. After the 1st set of Squats i thought i was in trouble but the 2nd and 3rd set turned out to be a little easier and i nailed them all pretty well. Bench felt real good again as well as the Deads. For the Dips im gunna keep adding the weight but im gunna knock the sets/reps down to 3x5 ... ill probably do the same thing with my Chins as well.

mcdonough9395
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
good results bro! it's comin along!
edit: the power cleans are wrong. it has to be 3 sets of 5. i saw a website that had 5 sets of 3 reps, but i believe thats a typo.
edit: nevermind, apparently people are saying that 5 sets of 3 is correct. weird that my book would say different. maybe there is different versions?

Thanks man. Yeah everythings been pretty easy thus far. Im starting to catch up with myself though and now im gunna really be pushing myself to some new PRs and be making some real gains. Yeah i saw your thread on the Cleans set/rep scheme. But yeah when Rip explains the Cleans in the book and in videos and such he says 5x3 are better but for some reason when he lays out the routine he puts 3x5. I think he probably just did that not to over complicate things but whatever. Its makes sense doing 5x3 with Cleans being a technical and intense movement and i like them better that way so thats how i do them. Im sure it dont make too big a difference though.

mcdonough9395
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Workout B

Weigh In: 190

Squats
Warm-Ups
170x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
130x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
165x5x3

Chins
BWx8x2
BWx6x1

So i decided to Squat back to back workouts which i usually dont do but i figured id go for it being that i only got in 2 workouts this week. The Squats felt good but there getting pretty tough. I REALLY felt it in my glutes today. I probably should have kept the Presses the same as last time since i hadnt done them in awhile but i wasnt thinking and moved up any way and they were TOUGH. I managed to grind them out tho. Rows felt real heavy but i pushed through them. And i decided to do one more workout with BW Chins before i start adding weight and going 3x5.

mcdonough9395
06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Workout A

Weigh In: 194
I did a lot of drinking this weekend so im hoping some of this is just water weight and ill drop down a little by Wednesday.

Squats
Warm-Ups
175x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
255x5x1

Dips
BWx5x1
30x5x3

Everything felt pretty strong today. It felt good finally repping those plates and quarters on the bench again.

mcdonough9395
06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Workout B

Weigh In: 191
I was right about the 194 from last time just being water weight from a weekend of drinking.

Cleans
Warm-Ups
140x3x5

Press
Warm-Ups
135x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
170x5x3

Chins
10x5x3

Everything went well today. The Cleans were still fairly light since im just really trying to nail down my form and technique. The Presses were TOUGH i gave everything i had and just squeezed out all 5 reps on that last set. It felt good to finally have 2 wheels on there though. The Rows are getting pretty tough too. And i started adding weight to the Chins and cut back to a 3x5.

nockits
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
hey bud!
you definitely need to put a link to your journal in your sig! took me a while to find it.
on another note, I do "Stretch X", which is the stretching routine from P90X (I torrented it). It's about an hour long, but tackles everything. I was surprised how not flexible I actually was. I do this about 2-3 times a week, along with a smaller group of stretches that I do every day.

mcdonough9395
06-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Workout A

Weigh In: 193

Squat
Warm-Ups
180x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
190x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
260x5x1

Dips
BWx5x1
35x5x3

Incline DB Press: 60x8x2
DB Curls: 45x8x2
DB Tri Extensions: 80x8x2

I did the accessory stuff at the end real quick because i hadnt done it in awhile ... Got a real nice pump. Anyway the Squats were real heavy and were kind of all over the place. I wasnt happy with my form. I found myself a few times leaning foward and ending up on my toes. My shoulders are also rising later than my hips ... I really gotta fix this. Bench felt real strong ... the last rep or two were a little slow on my last set but no biggie. My Bench seems to be the thing thats improving most which is weird and kind of frustrating because the whole higher Bench than Squat thing has got to change. The Deads were strong too ... i switched to mixed grip and they actually felt a little easier then past workouts. Oh and everything from Wednesday on out is PR territory for 3x5s.

mcdonough9395
06-05-2009, 04:25 PM
hey bud!
you definitely need to put a link to your journal in your sig! took me a while to find it.
on another note, I do "Stretch X", which is the stretching routine from P90X (I torrented it). It's about an hour long, but tackles everything. I was surprised how not flexible I actually was. I do this about 2-3 times a week, along with a smaller group of stretches that I do every day.

Nice. Yeah ill have to look into that. Im extremely inflexible as well ... foam rolling has helped me a lot. But the more experienced i get and the heavier the weights get the more i realize how important flexibility is.

mcdonough9395
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
So i took an extra day rest one Monday since i hadnt gotten a good night of sleep and my knee was bothering me. My knee still hurt today but i lifted through it. Its like a pain on the upper right side of my knee cap when i bent my knee back and forth. I feel it when i get up outta my seat and sit down. Im hoping its nothing big and will go away.

Workout B

Weigh In: 195
I seem to always weigh more on my first day back from the weekend. I did eat A LOT this weekend though.

Squat
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
137.5x5x3

Clean
Warm-Ups
145x3x3

Chins
15x5x3

Everything went pretty well today. I watched some of the Squat Rx videos to try to fix my squat problems with leaning forward and my shoulders raised later than my hips and i think it was because i had my elbows to high and not underneath the bar and it was pushing me over. I also used a belt for the first time today for Squats and it felt good and definitely helped. I also bought 2 1.25 lb olympic plates a while back and used them for the first time today with my press since i barley squeezed out 135 last time. It worked out well i just squeezed out all 3x5 today. i gave everything i had with the Squats and Press and was kinda burnt when Cleans came around and only ended up doing 3x3. I didnt really feel the knee during the Squats but definitely did during the Cleans. I hope its better by Thursday.

KoSh
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Keep busting that ass, man.

Good work so far.

mcdonough9395
06-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Workout A

Bench
Warm-Ups
195x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
265x5x1

Rows
Warm-Ups
170x5x3

Dips
40x5x3

So that pain i had in my knee was completely gone when i woke up this mourning. I tend to get weird aches and pains from time to time. Im just glad it was nothing serious. The workout went well today. Bench is finally starting to catch up to me the 195 was getting tough. I should have 200 in me. I would really like to get to 205 without stalling. Deads were solid i used a belt for them today for the first time and im not sure if i liked it as much as with Squats. It was kind of uncomfortable but maybe i just have to get used to it. I didnt realize i had done 170 last time for Rows and ended up doing the same weight. No biggie though.

mcdonough9395
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
Keep busting that ass, man.

Good work so far.

Oh i plan on it. Thanks for stopping in man. I appreciate the encouragement!

KoSh
06-11-2009, 06:17 PM
Aches and pains are normal for me. I get really wierd ones sometimes, but I'm to the point where I don't even notice them. :)

mcdonough9395
06-16-2009, 06:12 PM
So i took an extra day off again and only got in 2 workouts last week ... Kinda disappointed but i guess its no biggie. I got in the gym on Monday and got back on my normal Mon-Wed-Fri schedule.

Workout B

Weigh In: 196

Squats
Warm-Ups
190x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
140x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
150x3x3

Chins
20x5x3

So the Squats were as tough as they have been so far but i pushed through them. On my Press i thought there was no way in hell i would get my last rep on my last set up but i some how grinded it up there. Once Cleans came around i was shot again and they just werent feeling good and my form was all over the place so i called it quits after my 3rd set. And my Chins actually felt stronger then last time even with the 5 lb increase.

mcdonough9395
06-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Aches and pains are normal for me. I get really wierd ones sometimes, but I'm to the point where I don't even notice them. :)

Good to know im not alone. I get odd once every now and then and they seem to hang around for a few days and just disappear. I always push through them though. I can only hope i never get that one that doesnt go away.

mcdonough9395
06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
This is my workout from yesterday...

Workout A

Bench
Warm-Ups
200x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
270x5x1

Rows
Warm-Ups
175x5x3

Dips
45x5x3

I struggled with the Bench really for the first time but i managed to get all my reps up. Ill be happy if i can get to 205 without stalling. Deads were alright ... definitely getting heavy. Im pumped to finally put those quarters on the 2 plates next time. Rows felt strong. Dips i was struggling but pushed through. Ive been hovering around 195 for about a week and a half now. Im thinking i might have to start uping my cals but ill give it till Monday to make a real decision.

mcdonough9395
06-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Workout B

Squats
Warm-Ups
195x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
142.5x5x3

Clean
Warm-Ups
155x3x2

Chins
25x5x3

Didnt think id hit all my Squats but i pulled it out. Again i used every last thing i had to get the Presses up. Now the Cleans were an entire different story all together. They felt soooo heavy and my form was all over the place i was so pissed off i called it quits after to sets. Im really disappointed about this my Clean seems to have gotten worse from when i started ... i just dont get it. Im gunna read through through the Power Clean section of SS again and try to sort things out.

LuNa
06-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Hey mate, looking solid! Don't forget that by increasing the weights on your squats you might be getting a bit drained when you do your cleans. Maybe just didnt have your day for the clean. Anyways, you are looking pretty solid and your goals seem te be very reachable.
Aches and pains are normal. I have an annoying ache in my left hamstring which isnt enough to stop me from doing squats, but enough to annoy me.
Loving the work so far. Keep at it!

nockits
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Good stuff bro, you're squatting your own weight!
I got the message on my journal. To prevent myself from GMing out of the hole, I look at a high spot on the wall or the ceiling (which helps prevent me from leaning forward), and focus on tightening my glutes and pushing all the weight through my heels at the same time.

the latter you should be doing regardless i think, but definitely try looking up when going up.
keep it up!

mcdonough9395
06-24-2009, 06:45 PM
This is my workout from Monday...

Workout A

Weigh In: 198

Squats
Warm-Ups
200x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
205x5x2
205x4x1 ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
275x5x1

Dips
50x5x3

So as you can see i ****ing stalled! Not too big a deal though. Im not sure if ill stay at that weight for next time or move up anyway. We'll see how i feel on Friday. Finally hit that 200 mark on the Squats and there definitely getting rough. Deads where good i finally got to those 2 plates and quarters. I scrapped up my legs pretty good too. I might have to start wearing high socks or something.

KoSh
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
I picture your avatar deadlifting and I laugh... Cuz he's wearing long socks... hahaha...

Nice work man!

mcdonough9395
06-24-2009, 06:50 PM
This is my Workout from today...

Workout B

Press
Warm-Ups
145x5x3

Cleans
Warm-Ups
155x3x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
180x5x3

Chins
30x5x3

So once again i somehow grinded out every last rep on the Press. Cleans where piss poor again. I really dont know whats going on with that. Rows were good. And i used everything else i had in me to get my last Chin up there.

mcdonough9395
06-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey mate, looking solid! Don't forget that by increasing the weights on your squats you might be getting a bit drained when you do your cleans. Maybe just didnt have your day for the clean. Anyways, you are looking pretty solid and your goals seem te be very reachable.
Aches and pains are normal. I have an annoying ache in my left hamstring which isnt enough to stop me from doing squats, but enough to annoy me.
Loving the work so far. Keep at it!

Thanks man. Yeah i was thinking the same thing about the Squats draining my Cleans but i didnt Squat today and they were just as bad :confused:. Yeah the aches and pains come and go just cant let them hold you back. Thanks for the encouragement. And glad to see your liking SS as well.

Good stuff bro, you're squatting your own weight!
I got the message on my journal. To prevent myself from GMing out of the hole, I look at a high spot on the wall or the ceiling (which helps prevent me from leaning forward), and focus on tightening my glutes and pushing all the weight through my heels at the same time.

the latter you should be doing regardless i think, but definitely try looking up when going up.
keep it up!

I didnt even realize I was FINALLY Squatting my own weight. I guess thats pretty cool ... still pathetic though haha ... but its going no where but up. My Squat would have been close to yours if you didnt cheat and pull that stunt moving right up to 225 haha. Good looks on the Squatting tips man. I completely forgot about the looking up ... it definitely helped a little. Thanks.

I picture your avatar deadlifting and I laugh... Cuz he's wearing long socks... hahaha...

Nice work man!

Hahaha ... Never looked at it that way ... Its pretty funny though. If you just turn his head to face forward and put his arms between his legs hed definitely have a nice sumo stance haha. And i got to get me some of those socks. Thanks man.

mcdonough9395
07-03-2009, 05:39 PM
This is my Workout from this past Tuesday...

Workout A

Weigh In: 200

Squat
Warm-Ups
205x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
205x5x2
205x4x1

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
280x5x1

Dips
55x0x1

DB Tri Extensions: 80x8x1
Incline DB Press: 65x8x1

Was a piss poor workout. Squats were sloppy. I stalled on Bench AGAIN. Deadlifts actually felt real strong. On the Dips im pretty sure my Tris were fried from benching and i failed miserably. I decided to just throw in 2 sets of some accessory stuff to salvage something from the workout.

mcdonough9395
07-03-2009, 05:57 PM
My Workout from today...

Workout B

Squat
Warm-Ups
210x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
147.5x3x3

Row
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Chins
35x4x2
35x3x1

DB Curls: 40x10x2

So i have really been slacking lately with my diet and training and its showing in my workouts. I only got into the gym twice this week for the 2nd straight week. And the past two days i have been moving into my new apartment in Philly and really didnt take the time to eat ... i mite have got in half my calories. It all really caught up to me today. My Squats were sloppy once again and were real heavy but some how i got up everytime. Press ... i dont know what the **** happened to my Press ... I just failed miserably. Rows actually felt pretty good. And Chins were heavy.

So i decided with all this sloppiness and stalling that it would be a good time for a deload. I feel like im burnt and my bodies beat up. Im gunna enjoy the weekend and then on Monday get down to business. Im gunna drop everything (except my Deadlift ... im gunna keep pushing on that it feels good) 20 lbs. or so and work my way back up. I made a good run and hopefully can bust through strong.

nockits
07-05-2009, 06:37 PM
dude! you're almost at 4 plates with your squat! keep it up, trust me, you'll love how nice they look on that bar!
i may have jumped in my squats, but you're still kickin' my but in bench! and now with my elbow injury, i fear you're gonna have quite the lead! ;p
keep it up!

Andemusprime
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
i dont remeber ur weight right now but ur post makes me feel better about what i am doing right now, and ive been down feeling like i am not progrising enough. I am 205 and exceding your goals. So if i can do it and feel like im not doing enough u should be able to do it easily and probally feel great about it. Are u competeing in anything that u need the strength for or are u just doing it for looks and personal challenge? If its the latter of the two then as long as u push out the most u can each rep and eat clean with enough to recover with good rest periods u should have no problem reaching goals and staying happy doing so.

Good luck on your journery brother

mcdonough9395
07-06-2009, 06:56 PM
First deload workout...

Workout A

Squats
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
285x5x1

Dips
BWx5x2
BWx13x1

Squats were still heavier then id thought theyd be. Bench was easy. Deadlift was alright. I was seeing stars after that set and was a little dizzle and had to sit down for a bit. Im nearing 300 and am real pumped to hit that.

mcdonough9395
07-06-2009, 07:11 PM
dude! you're almost at 4 plates with your squat! keep it up, trust me, you'll love how nice they look on that bar!
i may have jumped in my squats, but you're still kickin' my but in bench! and now with my elbow injury, i fear you're gonna have quite the lead! ;p
keep it up!

Yeah believe me i cant wait to get there ... i bet they look real nice in that rack ... but i just had to deload. They were just getting to heavy and sloppy. Yeah i got you on they presses but you got me big on the big boy lifts. I just hate how my bench is the same as my squat. But yeah thanks man ... And get that elbow better and back to full strength man.

i dont remeber ur weight right now but ur post makes me feel better about what i am doing right now, and ive been down feeling like i am not progrising enough. I am 205 and exceding your goals. So if i can do it and feel like im not doing enough u should be able to do it easily and probally feel great about it. Are u competeing in anything that u need the strength for or are u just doing it for looks and personal challenge? If its the latter of the two then as long as u push out the most u can each rep and eat clean with enough to recover with good rest periods u should have no problem reaching goals and staying happy doing so.

Good luck on your journery brother

Yeah im not sure which post your referring to or what your trying to get at. But yeah im not competing or anything im just in it to get bigger and stronger and just like moving weights. I push myself hard and am very happy with my progress thus far. Thanks for the support man.

mcdonough9395
07-09-2009, 07:22 PM
So i didnt get in the gym on Wednesday because it was my dads birthday and dinner took forever but i made it today and will get back in there on Saturday...

Workout B

Weigh In: 201

Cleans
Warm-Ups
145x3x3

Press
Warm-Ups
125x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
190x5x3

Chins
BWx5x2
BWx8x1

Ok so it was the second workout of the deload. I decided that im gunna just stick to 3x3 with Cleans 5 sets is just too much and i feel the 3 sets is definitely sufficient enough. Press was good. I also decided not to deload on my Rows since from what i understand your Bench and Row numbers should be about the same and my Row is pretty behind so i figured itd be a good time to catch it up.

Jacob R.
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Good stuff in this thread, I know I wouldn't mind having my bench be the same as my squat haha.

mcdonough9395
07-14-2009, 06:31 PM
This is my workout from Saturday...

Workout A

Weigh In: 198

Squat
Warm-Ups
185x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
190x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
290x5x1

Dips
20x5x3

So i decided to keep my Squat at 185 since it was almost a week since i last Squatted and it went well. Bench was alright ... a little tougher than i had expected it to be. Deads felt feel strong again ... I know i have 300 in me but im gunna stick to my 5 lb increases and be patient because i hear alot of guys regret getting greedy and moving up on there Deadlift too fast.

mcdonough9395
07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
This is my Workout from today...

Workout B

Squat
Warm-Ups
190x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
130x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
195x5x3

Chins
10x5x3

I felt real good today. My Squat felt really strong. I breezed through them. They felt much easier than my 185 Squats last time. I felt more flexible and like i sat back in the hole much better and drove through the heels nice. Press felt a little heavier than i think it should. Rows were ok ... i pushed myself through them. Chins felt real easy.

mcdonough9395
07-14-2009, 06:37 PM
Good stuff in this thread, I know I wouldn't mind having my bench be the same as my squat haha.

Thanks man. Yeah i guess it depend on how you look at it haha.

mcdonough9395
07-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Workout A

Weigh In: 197 ... ?

Cleans
Warm-Ups
135x3x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
195x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
295x5x1

Dips
25x5x3

Incline DB Bench: 65x8x2

Ok so i decided i really need to get my eat on. I dont know how the hell im down to 197 today ive been eat pretty solid but i guess i need to up the cals some more again. And the workout went terrible today. Cleans were ok but they still didnt feel right for 135. Bench was awful it felt like i have pushing 205 again i barely got my last rep up. Deads were ok ... thought i was gunna throw up for a second. Dips even felt a little heavy. And i decided to just throw in the 2 sets of Incline DBs because of the piss pour bench. I dont know if it was just one of those days or a bad nights sleep or what but im just gunna start eating like a madman.

mcdonough9395
07-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Workout B

Weigh In: 204

Squats
Warm-Ups
195x5x3

Press
Warm-Ups
135x5x3
155x1x1 (Push Press)
165x1x1 (Push Press)

Rows
Warm-Ups
200x5x3

Chins
15x5x3

So i only got in the gym twice last week because i had a concert on Saturday and didnt wake up early enough to make it to the gym :tuttut:. And i obviously ate and drank way to much this weekend being that i weighed in at 204 haha. The extra carbs definitely made everything feel pretty easy and i had a solid workout. Ive been seeing some push press vids on here and wanted to give it a try after my Presses. I got 155 up easy and 165 wasnt bad i definitely think i can get 175 up there and i think with a little practice id get 185 in no time.

mcdonough9395
07-24-2009, 03:47 PM
This is my Workut from yesterday...

Workout A

Weigh In: 202

Cleans
Warm-Ups
140x3x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
200x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
300x5x1

Dips
30x5x3

DB Curls: 45x8x2
DB Overhead Tri Extentions: 85x8x2

Was a solid workout. Bench was a tough the first set but for some reason it got a little easier on my 2nd set and felt even better on the 3rd. I really hope i can break through that 205 and get all 3x5. I was really excited to finally get to that 300 mark on my deadlift. I really psyched myself up for it and killed them i was about to keep going i had atleast 8 or 9 in me. Cant wait to get to that 315 now.

nockits
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
hey bud!
yeah i definitely think it affected me a bit. only cuz when i'm increasing the weights (by 5lbs increments) after the deload, i seem to be pushing harder with a weight like 210 then i would have guessed. we'll see how i do at 215.

LuNa
07-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Deads are looking really strong! Keep up the awesome work.

mcdonough9395
07-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Workout A

Weigh In: 205

Squats
Warm-Ups
200x5x3

Bench
Warm-Ups
205x5x3

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
305x5x1

Dips
30x5x3

First off AGIAN i only made it to the gym twice a week last week ... disappointing. Second i dont know how i weighed in at 205 since i barely ate anything yesterday because i was moving out of my apt. Anyway i decided to start the week with Workout A instead of B because i really wanted to Deadlift. My workout today was real solid. As i keep adding weight to my Squats and Deadlfts they keep feeling stronger and stronger. I was tempted to jump to 205 and 315 on my Squat and Dead but i checked the ego and stuck to the plan. Squats feeling good and im feeling much more flexible. Deads again i felt like banging out another 2 or 3. Bench i finally broke through that 205 mark ... but im kinda disappointed because i barely pushed it out and was hoping it would be a little stronger since my Squat and Dead have been shooting up.

mcdonough9395
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
hey bud!
yeah i definitely think it affected me a bit. only cuz when i'm increasing the weights (by 5lbs increments) after the deload, i seem to be pushing harder with a weight like 210 then i would have guessed. we'll see how i do at 215.

Yeah dude ... i would worry about that too much though i felt the same way when i deloaded ... like the weight should feel that heavy but now that ive worked my way back up to where i was this weight feels much stronger than it did. Not so much with my Bench though :mad: Just keep at it man.

Deads are looking really strong! Keep up the awesome work.

Yeah thanks man. There finally starting to feel strong. Ive been itching to test my 1RM i really wanna see where im at. I keep controlling myself though haha.

mcdonough9395
07-30-2009, 05:07 PM
This is my Workout from yesterday...

Workout B

Weigh In: 204

Cleans
Warm-Ups
155x3x3

Press
Warm-Ups
140x5x3

Rows
Warm-Ups
205x5x3

Chins
20x5x2
20x4x1

Some my Cleans were feeling good warming up and since i wasnt Squatting i figured i ramp the weight up and was throwing the 155 around pretty easy and the form felt pretty good. Presses felt strong ... I should definitely break through that 145 mark. Rows have caught right up to my bench after the deload. I failed my last rep of Chins. Even though i was doing Chins with 10-15 lbs more i figure its pretty relative considering just the amount of body weight ive put on. Pumped for Friday.

LuNa
08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
:O. Hows everything going? Still going at it strong?

mcdonough9395
08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Wow! ... Just Wow! So you might have noticed I COMPLETELY fell off the wagon! I went down to Long Beach Island for 2 weeks on vacation. I had all the intentions of making it to the gym atleast 2 times a week to atleast maintain my strength. I brought my gym bag, Nitrean, and even scoped out a gym close by our house before leaving. But as you can see none of that happened and the gym and my diet and everything just went completely out the window and was replaced my sitting on my ass and drinking day in day out. So then after a full 2 weeks of not lift a weight or anything i returned to the gym and was gunna just take it light with some warm up squats and some DB stuff but things did go so well the workout went like this...

Squats
Warm-Ups
135x5x1
165x3x1
185x5x1
205x5x1
215x3x1

DB Press
50x5x1
65x5x1
80x3x1
85x8x2
90x3x1 ... Uh Oh!

The Squats felt fine but as soon as i got up with the 90s my lower back stiffened up instantly. I was in some definite pain ... it was my very lower back right above my ass. I left right after that. My lower back was in pain and was real stiff for the next few days. During that time i had to come back to school because im in job training. The training was for 5 days from 9am-8pm so i had no time to get to the gym and they fed us meals so i just had to eat what they gave us. So as of today it had now been 3 weeks and 1 day since my last legitimate workout and i finally hit the gym ... it went like this...

Squats
Warm-Ups
135x5x2
155x5x1

DB Press
60x5x1
70x5x1
80x8x1
80x6x1

DB Rows
80x5x1
90x8x2

DB Shoulder Press
50x5x1
60x5x2

Chins
BWx8x1

DB Curls
40x8x1

Dips
BWx10x2

DB Tri Extensions
80x8x1

It was utterly pathetic i was having a hard time Squatting the 155. All my lifts were right where they were before i left school. Its like im starting from square one again. This workout was even like a cardio session for me i was sucking wind and i have never felt so sick and weary as i did after this workout. Its really discouraging and im really disappointed with myself after putting in all that hard work just to let myself go and lose everything. On an up note i did manage to keep most of my size ... i did lose a few lbs and def replaced some of that LBM with some fat however when i came back my gym buddies especially noticed that i had gotten much bigger which was cool. They were asking me what i did and for samples of my diet and such.

So my plan for right now is to get back in the gym again this week end and do some light compound lifts. Then on Monday start up my diet back up again and drop my weights some and get back on SS. I want to atleast get all my lifts back to where they were and then maybe think about a cut since i developed quit the beer belly after these past three weeks.

mcdonough9395
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
So getting ready for classes and **** was a little crazy so i wasnt able to get into the gym again this weekend but i got back in there today and a modified workout A...

Workout A

Weigh In: 197 (Note: This scale at school is about 6-8 lbs. light)

Squats
Warm-Ups
155x5x1
170x5x1
185x5x1
205x5x1

Bench
Warm-Ups
155x5x1
170x5x1
185x5x1
195x5x1

Deadlift
Warm-Ups
225x5x1
255x3x1
275x3x1
295x3x1

Dips
BWx10x3

50 Incline Crunchs

So it went ok i guess. I feel like a ****ing pussy. And am still real mad and disappointed with myself with how badly i fell off the wagon but i should b back to where i was in a few weeks ... i hope. Was feelin the burn on the Squats. Bench just felt real shaky. And i got too greedy on the Deads. I was debating weather i should have gone for the 295 or just end it and i got greedy and went for it and then i should have just stopped at 2 but was an idiot and really wanted 3 and i felt my back arch pretty bad. I think due to a weak and worn out core so i did a few crunches.

LuNa
09-03-2009, 03:53 AM
Been a while since you updated your journal. Having problems keeping it up or what?

mcdonough9395
01-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Hey guys, Its a new year and that means a new opportunity! Ever since that vacation this summer I completely fell off the wagon. I disappeared from the forum and my diet and gym routine disappeared with it. I tried getting it back together, but ended up training like an idiot and stringing together a few injuries. Then I had planned on getting back into it when school started, but with the 1st semester of my senior year in full swing, me having a new job, and looking toward planning for graduation and a career, not to mention being 21, it just didnt happen. I got into the gym a few times and made a few attempts to get back on the diet but I just couldnt stick with it. It seemed like it had to be all or nothing with me. Not to make it an excuse but I think when I was training before I put too much stress on myself and dwelled on stupid little things and had such high expectations that I was so hard on myself with that once I was out of the gym for awhile I felt freed from it and avoided going back. In the mean time I ate like s**t and drank like a moron and ended up getting fat (not fat fat but fat enough) and now I feel like a piece of s**t. I completely let myself go and its come to a point where its got stop!

My main goal right now is to get back into decent shape. Im going to start off with some dumbbell workouts and definitely get some cardio going immediately, along with a solid diet. As I go ill start working in some compounds and try to get the strength back. Im going to try not to get too far ahead of myself though and not put too much pressure on myself like before to make sure I stay with it. Im mainly posting here to create some accountability. Im moving back to school this weekend and start classes this Wednesday. I WILL start this on Monday!

mcdonough9395
01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Ok, so I started cleaning up the diet and getting back in the gym last week. Nothing really worth recording just some SS cardio and light dumbbell stuff. I started doing some HIIT cardio and doing a BGB routine this week. I feel like a little bitch in the gym lifting the weak ass weight that I am, but I gotta start back up somewhere. Im hoping it wont take me too long to get back too where I was. Im sore a **** after the past 2 days and off today. Heres what the past workouts looked like...

Day 1

Weight: 205 (This scale is definitely light at least 5 lbs, but I will use it for reference)

Bench
155x5x2
165x5x1

Incline DB Press
40x8x1
45x8x2

BB Rows
135x5x3

T-Bar Rows
70x8x1
90x8x2

Day 2

(HITT in the AM)

Squats
135x5x3

Legs Curls
50x8x3

Seated DB Curls
35x5x1
40x5x1
45x5x1

Hammer Curls
35x8x1
40x8x2

KoSh
01-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Welcome back :)

mcdonough9395
01-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Day 3

(HIIT in the AM)

Military Press
105x5x3

Chins
BWx5x1
BWx4x1
BWx3x1

Upright Rows
95x8x2

Lat Pull Down
87.5x8x3

Lateral Raises
25x8x2

Day 4

Deadlift
135x5x1
185x5x2
195x5x1

Dips
BW5x5

Lungs
30x10x2

OH Extensions
70x8x2
75x8x1

Sore as **** from this week. Taking the weekend off. Hopefully these numbers start shooting up in the weeks to come.

mcdonough9395
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Welcome back :)

Thanks man, cant wait to start moving some real weight again.

Good to see you tore through 5/3/1 and are onto Westside. You got some good stuff going on in that new journal. Ill be checking in ... You still doing that MMA training?

mcdonough9395
02-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Day 1

Bench
165x5x2
175x5x1
185x2x1

BB Rows
155x5x3

Incline DB Bench
50x8x3

T-Bar Rows
90x8x1
115x8x2

Day 2

(HIIT in the AM)

Squat
155x5x1
165x5x1
175x5x1

Seated DB Curls
45x5x1
50x5x1

Legs Curls
115x8x3

Hammer Curls
35x8x1
40x8x1
45x8x1

Good strength increase from last week so far ... still a long way to go. We actually got a legitimate scale at the gym today. Weighted in at a sloppy 211. My goal is to be down to 200 by the end of February and a solid 190-195 by the end of the semester.

mcdonough9395
02-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Day 3

Military Press
115x5x2
120x5x1

Chins
BWx5x1
BWx4x1
BWx3x1

Upright Rows
95x8x2

Lat Pull Down
87x8x1
92x8x1
97x8x1

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

Day 4

Deadlift
135x5x1
185x3x1
205x3x1
225x5x1
245x1x1

Dips
BWx5x3

Lungs
20x10x2

OH Extensions
80x8x2

mcdonough9395
02-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Day 1

Weight: 213 (Strayed from the diet a little over the weekend with all the snow and the Super Bowl. Kinda pissed at myself.)

Bench
135x5x1
155x3x1
175x5x2
185x4x1
195x1x1

BB Rows
165x5x2
175x5x1

DB Incline Bench
55x8x1
60x8x2

DB Rows
80x8x2
85x8x1

mcdonough9395
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Day 2

Weight: 212

Squat
135x5x1
155x3x1
165x5x1
175x5x1
185x5x1

Seated DB Curls
45x5x3

Leg Curls
115x8x1
130x8x1
145x8x1

Hammer Curls
40x8x1
45x8x2

mcdonough9395
02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
We had an outragous amount of snow last week and gym was closed on Thursday so I did Day 3 on Friday and Day 4 on Monday...

Day 3

Military Press
125x5x3

Chins
BWx5x1
BWx3x1
+25x5x1 (Assited)

Upright Rows
95x8x1
100x8x1

Lat Pulldowns
92x8x1
97x8x2

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

Im really pissed my Chins arent getting any stronger. I know there gunna be harder since im a lot heavier, but thier not even improving.

mcdonough9395
02-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Day 4 (Monday)

Weight: 214

Deadlift
135x5x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
245x5x1
275x1x1
295x1x1

Dips
BWx5x2
BWx10x1

Lunges
20x8x1
25x8x1

DB OH Extensions
75x8x1
80x8x1
85x7x1

My Deadlift working set at 245 was way too easy, so I did 2 heavier singles to keep the progress going. 275 went up pretty easy, so I went up to 295 and that wasnt that bad either. I probably could have pulled 315, but I dont want to rush into anything and mess something up. The Dips were easy too. I need to start adding weight again. Im gunna try to make up for the missed day this week so I could start Day 1 on Monday next week. I realized today that the set doesnt work to well when you start the week with Day 4 because I did tris yesterday and now im gunna have to Bench with sore tris today :(

mcdonough9395
02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Day 1

Weight: 211.4

Bench
135x3x1
155x1x1
175x1x1
185x5x2
185x4x1
205x1x1

BB Rows
175x5x1
185x5x2

DB Incline Bench
60x8x1
60x6x1

DB Rows
80x8x2

I felt like I shouldnt have done those warm up reps at 155 and 175 and instead just done 1 or 2 at 165. My tris being sore definitely were a factor. My arms felt weary when going to lock out. I feel like I should of had just stayed at 175 with my Rows. I was feeling it more in my legs and lower back then my rear delts and was struggling a little, most likely due to the fact that I had Deadlifted yesterday. Incline was tough because my tris were shot and I really left everything I had on the Bench, so I stopped at 2 sets, same with Rows. I hadnt got much sleep past 2 days due to studying and have been eating in a deficit, along with the fact that I did back and tris yesterday just didnt add up to a good set up to have a great workout. Im gunna rest tomorrow and come back strong Thursday.

mcdonough9395
02-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Day 2

Squat
135x3x1
165x1x1
185x1x1
195x5x2
205x5x1

Hammer Curls
45x5x1
50x5x1
55x5x1

Leg Curls
145x8x1
160x8x2

BB Slides
45x8x1
55x8x2

mcdonough9395
02-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Day 3

Press
130x5x2
130x4x1

Chins
+25x5x3

Upright Rows
95x8x2

Lat Pulldown
97x8x1
102x8x1
107x8x1

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

Im gunna try to get in the gym on Saturday or Sunday to just Deadlift so I can start on Monday with Day 1.

mcdonough9395
02-24-2010, 07:42 PM
Day 1

Bench
135x3x1
165x1x1
185x1x1
195x3x1
185x4x1

Rows
155x5x1
165x5x2

Incline DB Press
60x8x1
65x8x1
70x7x1

DB Rows
80x8x1
85x8x1
90x8x1

So I didnt get to the gym over the weekend to deadlift as I had planned and just decided to start the week with Day 1. For some reason I thought I had pushed out a set of 195 for 5 on the Bench last session, but im not sure why because I didnt. Either way it wasnt a good day to Bench because I had this pain in the outside of my left elbow everytime I brought the bar down. Even when I went down to 185 it hurt pretty bad and was affecting my form so I decided to ditch the Benching and go hard on the DB Incline. Inclines felt strong. I may switch to just DB pressing if the pain stays around. I also switched my Rows to a hanging row rather then my usually pendlay style.

mcdonough9395
02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Day 2

Weight: 209.8

Squat
135x3x1
165x2x1
185x1x1
195x5x1
205x5x1
215x5x1

Hammer Curls
50x10x1
55x10x2

Leg Curls
160x8x1
175x8x1
170x8x1

Squats are feeling strong. The 215 set was definitely tough and I was struggling and loosing form a bit. Im also cutting back on the bicep stuff because im pretty sure thats where the pain in my elbow is coming from. Also did cardio today (Wednesday) and weighed in at 209.2.

LuNa
02-25-2010, 05:12 AM
Nice short and sweet session. What program are you doing at the moment?

mcdonough9395
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Nice short and sweet session. What program are you doing at the moment?

LuNa, hows it been man? I see your Squats and Deads have come a long way since ive been gone. Looking strong! ... Yeah thats how I like to keep em. Im currently doing Baby Got Back.

LuNa
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
LuNa, hows it been man? I see your Squats and Deads have come a long way since ive been gone. Looking strong! ... Yeah thats how I like to keep em. Im currently doing Baby Got Back.

Pretty good dude! Its been quiet in here for a while. Im just getting back at things as well :). Ah, thats a good routine. Im guessing you are on a cut as well :p. Its looking good.

KoSh
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Good work in here bro. Keep progressing!!

mcdonough9395
02-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Day 3

Weight: 208.2

Press
125x5x2
130x5x1

Chins
+25x5x3

Upright Rows
95x8x1
105x8x1

Lat Pulldown
102x8x1
108x8x1
118x8x1

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

Was feeling a little drained. Took it a little easy on the Presses. Really wanna get back up to 135 next workout.

mcdonough9395
02-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Day 4

Weight: 208.8

Deadlift
135x3x1
185x3x1
225x2x1
265x1x1
275x5x1

Dips
15x5x1
25x5x1
30x5x1

Eating in a deficit is really starting to catch up with me. Was tired and the gym was closing early because of snow so I went heavier and cut it a little short. The Deads were a little sloppy and I was loosing form and arching i think. My back is incredibly sore today. Dips felt strong with the added wieght. I keep progressing in weight and dropping lbs. so im happy about that.

mcdonough9395
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Pretty good dude! Its been quiet in here for a while. Im just getting back at things as well :). Ah, thats a good routine. Im guessing you are on a cut as well :p. Its looking good.

Yeah, thatnks man. Im still pissed at myself how I abandoned everything and wasted such good progress, but oh well, I just gotta look ahead. Good to see you back in the swing of things. Yeah, im trying to cut right now. Its going well so far but eating in such a deficit and still trying to get my lifts back to where they were is definitely taking a toll.

Good work in here bro. Keep progressing!!

Yeah, thanks man. Progress is all you can ask for.

mcdonough9395
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Day 1

Weight: 208.6

Bench
135x3x1
165x2x1
185x5x3

DB Rows
90x5x1
95x5x1
100x5x1

Incline DB Press
65x8x1
65x7x1
65x6x1

Seated Cable Rows
95x8x1
100x8x1
105x8x1

Still have that pain in my left elbow/forearm that is affecting my Bench, but it wasnt as bad as last time and i pushed through it. I feel like my lower back gets hit pretty hard throughout the week with Rows on Monday Squats on Tuesday and Deads on Friday and my back was still a little sore from Fridays Deads so i did away with the BB Rows and moved my DB Rows to 3x5 and added cable rows so my back would be fresh to Squat today.

mcdonough9395
03-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Day 2

Weight: 208.0

Squat
135x3x1
165x2x1
185x1x1
205x5x3

Hammer Curls
50x10x1
55x10x1
60x10x1

Leg Curls
170x8x3

DB Curls
20x30x1
25x30x1

Wednesday

Weight: 207.6

HIIT Cardio / Abs

Squats felt alright, there definitely getting tough. Should be able to bump it up 5 lbs next session. I thought that shin splint I had was gone and went ahead and did HIIT today, but its still hurting. I dont really care though, im just gunna start running through it.

mcdonough9395
03-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Day 3

Weight: 208.2

Press
130x5x1
135x5x2

Chins
BWx5x2
BWx4x1

Upright Rows
100x8x2

Lat Pulldowns
100x8x1
105x8x1
110x8x1

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

Press were feeling strong ... Its nice to get those plates back up there. I skipped out on the gym on friday and have been woring all weekend. Will start up again on Monday and the Tuesday I will run Day 4 intead of 2 and do Day 2 on Friday instead.

mcdonough9395
03-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Day 1

Weight: 208.8

Bench
190x5x2
190x4x1

DB Rows
95x5x1
100x5x2

Incline DB Press
60x8x1
65x8x1
70x6x1

Seated Cable Rows
100x8x1
105x8x1
115x8x1

mcdonough9395
03-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Day 2 (Modified, Switching Deads and Squats this week)

Weight: 207.8

Deadlift
135x5x1
185x3x1
235x2x1
265x1x1
280x4x1
300x0x1

Hammer Curls
55x10x1
60x10x1

Lunges
25x8x1
30x8x1

DB Curls
25x30x2

Very very very very disappointed with my Deadlifts. My first 2 reps at 280 were good put then the next 2 im pretty sure i was arching my back pretty bad and didnt want to risk hurting my back going for another one. I was really pissed off so i went to pull 300 for 1, which i thought i should be able to do no problem. I got it off the ground pretty easy but then as i started to take it past my knee i just couldnt do it and started bending over again so i just dropped it. I dont know what the problem is ... maybe its just the cardio and the deficit or maybe i need to add in more abs and core work. Its just really discouraging because i used to be able to do some much more.

mcdonough9395
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Alright, I havent updated the journal in awhile but i have been lifting. I had a workout after my last day 2 but dont remember what i did. That was the last workout I had before spring break. I decided to take the spring break week off, since I was feeling pretty beat up and figured it was a good time to give my body a rest a little. I started right back up this week...

Day 1 (Monday)

DB Bench
80x5x1
75x5x1
70x6x1

DB Rows
90x6x1
95x5x1
100x5x1

Incline Bench Press
135x8x2
145x6x1

Seated Cable Rows
100x8x1
110x8x1
120x8x1

Switched up the Benching a little, figured it was time for a change.

Day 2 (Tuesday)

Squat
185x5x3

Hammer Curls
50x8x1
55x8x2

Leg Curls
160x8x1
170x8x2

DB Curls (Slow)
25x30x2

Day 3 (Thursday)

Weight: 203.6

Press
125x5x1
130x5x1
135x5x1

Chins
BWx5x3

Upright Rows
105x8x2

Lat Pull Downs
100x8x1
110x8x1
120x8x1

Lateral Raises
25x8x1
30x8x1

mcdonough9395
03-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Day 1

Weight: 204

DB Bench
70x8x1
75x5x1
80x4x1
65x8x1

DB Rows
100x6x1
100x5x2

Incline Bench Press
135x7x1
135x6x1
135x4x1
115x8x1

Seated Cable Rows
120x8x3

mcdonough9395
03-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Day 2

Weight: 204

Deadlift
135x5x1
185x4x1
225x3x1
245x3x1
265x1x1

Hammer Curls
55x8x1
60x6x1
65x5x1

Lunges
25x10x2

DB Curls
25x30x2

Shrugs
80x10x1
90x10x1
100x8x1

Im really starting to get frustrated because im not losing that much weight anymore and it seems like my strength is just plummeting. I definitely leaned out in my upper body and legs, but still have a tubby belly and id like to get down to around 190. I just dont know wont much more I can take seeing my strength go down. i feel like a little bitch with my bench and deadlift.